Losing the Magic?

wolfeman

Original Poster
Hi all,

Just returned Sept 2 from our trip in the cabins. We love Disney, we are frequent vistors since the 1990s. With that said, this trip seemed to be missing "something". It was not a bad experience with 1 person, but throughout the parks. Honestly it felt like going to Six Flags. There was no MAGICAL feeling. Is it because they are cutting back? For instance we had a meal plan and 99% of the food service personnel didnt tell us what we were entitled to. For example, quick service you get meal,drink,and dessert. In the past they were always helpful in telling you what you needed to correct your order. Now if you dont ask, you are not told. So you must know your meal plan.
Also the staff at the checkin at the Cabins was not knowledgeable. Disney usually felt like they had better staffing, seems to be falling short...

Usually we are already planning our next trip while we are there, but this trip doesnt leave me with the same feeling.

wolfeman

Original Poster
Shouldn't you? :shrug:

Up until till this season, we were always reminded...We would be at Pecos Bill with a quick serve and the person at checkout would always say, you get a dessert with that...that was not the case this year...

The parks were great...my kids new fav is MGM Studios followed by Epcot

cowanfamily

This get's mentioned alot on these boards that's why the sarcasm is so frequent!

I agree with the earlier poster. Whether or not I FEEL the magic isn't going to be determined by a castmember. The magic isn't in a reminder, it's in you! Walt just figured out a way to help you discover it!

wolfeman

Original Poster
"You didnt say you wanted that" was a frequent response from CM at the Cabins...The hangup is not about the meal plan...the hangup is between the CM and guest, this has not always been the case in the past. For my family it is the little things that create the magic, or we can just go the six flags..

Since 1990 we have gone about 12 times....

We love disney, we will go back, but this time semed a little different

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Since 1990 we have gone about 12 times....

We love disney, we will go back, but this time semed a little different

The 12 times in 21 years could be the reason. We have gone quite frequently as well. For us the magic is not the same, but it still is magical. For instance I no longer find the fireworks shows magical. What I do find magical is how the business side of things run. How they coordinate resources and present a high quality show overall each and every day of the year. How they manage over 40 square miles of resorts, parks, entertainment venues, and natural areas, and make me feel like nothing exists outside that big Disney World sign while I am on property.

Fantasmic

I understand your point about CMs not seeming to be as helpful as they might be but it really is our responsibility to understand what we're entitled to receive. Personally, I feel that the magic comes from within. and I'm not going to let an inattentive or forgetful CM take it away from me.

This.

DisneyDebNJ

I understand your point about CMs not seeming to be as helpful as they might be but it really is our responsibility to understand what we're entitled to receive. Personally, I feel that the magic comes from within. and I'm not going to let an inattentive or forgetful CM take it away from me.

Well said!

TheJonesys

I've read similar comments on another site about how people felt that Disney was not as magical as it used to be. We've just got back and round the parks I heard quite a few people moan about Disney and their rules and the way the cast members enforce them, and some of the comments I could quite agree with, HOWEVER what I did find is that if you were enthusiastic and looked like you were having fun then the cast members reacted to that and had fun too.

We also went to Busch Gardens and it was a definate case of ...well they're not as organised as Disney!!

Chef Mickey

I'm going to disagree. I think one huge positive for Disney is that it generally employs friendly and knowledgeable staff who go above and beyond their pay grade. Disney is the only place I can think of who can get quality people to do a job and pay them $9/hr. Their hiring process is lightyears ahead of other companies. Walmart pays the same to many of their hourly workers....look who they dig up.

The magic lives in your heart.

As far as your experience, it sounds like it centered around "reminders" from CMs who frankly get sick of telling guests they get a dessert with that. I really think it's your responsibility to know and them not telling you shouldn't take away from the magic.

jlevis

..... HOWEVER what I did find is that if you were enthusiastic and looked like you were having fun then the cast members reacted to that and had fun too.

There you are!! It is just my nature and the way I was raised. Smile and be nice to people if you do they will smile back and be nice to you. I've said it on these boards a couple of times; we'll be in the parks one week from today. This trip is my reward for getting through my second cancer surgery in two years. Now, if a Cast Member doesn't smile or messes up my food order or the Yeti doesn't work I guarantee you it is no big deal and I will have a magic time.

wolfeman

Original Poster
I'm going to disagree. I think one huge positive for Disney is that it generally employs friendly and knowledgeable staff who go above and beyond their pay grade. Disney is the only place I can think of who can get quality people to do a job and pay them $9/hr. Their hiring process is lightyears ahead of other companies. Walmart pays the same to many of their hourly workers....look who they dig up.

The magic lives in your heart.

As far as your experience, it sounds like it centered around "reminders" from CMs who frankly get sick of telling guests they get a dessert with that. I really think it's your responsibility to know and them not telling you shouldn't take away from the magic.

That is our point exactly....Maybe it was the cabins...We love Disney. This is not about the Meal Plan reminders, that was an example. It is about the employees seeming disgruntled...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom