Looking for Thoughts on My Resort Dilemma

jeffmw

Original Poster
Caught in a web of options here & can't make a decision!

I'm planning a 5-night stay with my family (wife & 2 kids [4, 2]) in January 2017. Joining us will be one of my friends, and his wife & 2 kids of the same age.

Two years ago my family stayed at the Wilderness Lodge Villas, and I became convinced the additional room in a suite was SO important in keeping the stress down. I really liked feeling like the kids had room to move around and play so we weren't in a big hurry to leave all the time. There's nothing worse than being on vacation in a room w/ two toddlers at 6:30 a.m. and feeling like you have to get outta there even though there's really nowhere to go!

So here's the cycle I've been in stuck in:
1. With kids this age, first thought was AoA. They're the perfect age for the larger-than-life Pixar theme everywhere. Figured we'd be all set w/ a Nemo or LK suite to be pretty close to the main building. Turns out my friend doesn't want to pay the $300/night. He said he'd be fine with a Little Mermaid single room, but that puts them far away from us, far away from food and the bus stop, and in a pretty cramped room.

2. Next thought was ASM, as it's the only other place with suites below $400 where my friend can also get a more modestly priced room. And the more I thought about it, I liked the idea of saving $75/night ($225/night at ASM vs. $300/night at AoA). This seemed like a good middle-ground, buuuuut... someone told my wife that the All-Star resorts are dingy, so she doesn't want to stay there. And quite honestly, I'm wondering if it would just be worth the extra $75/night to do AoA.

3. The other option is giving up the suite and going with a single room w/ a bit more square footage (via a Moderate resort). BUT... 1) I'd be giving up the suite; 2) Convenience is a decent consideration for me and I don't want a ton of bus stops or walking at the end of a long day; and 3) Most of all I just feel like I'm doing my kids a disservice at a really perfect time in their life to stay at a Disney-themed resort! Sure the whole trip will be fun for them, but a more kid-friendly theme would make it that much better.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts or opinions on any of the above. Thanks!

durangojim

Why don't you each stay where you want? The initial awkwardness will be vastly outweighed by the lack of stress you suffer by staying in a location that you don't want to be in.
A big mistake I see lots of people make is that they feel they have to spend time with friends and family on vacation 24/7. Usually, people and families like to do things different ways. Maybe you agree to meet each day for dinner, or make a list of attractions you want to do together and then spend the rest of the time apart.

If you do decide to go moderate. They only place I'd consider due to your concerns are POFQ. It's small, has one bus stop, a great pool and water play area and a good food court. Plus it's just plain charming.

jeffmw

Original Poster
Why don't you each stay where you want? The initial awkwardness will be vastly outweighed by the lack of stress you suffer by staying in a location that you don't want to be in.
A big mistake I see lots of people make is that they feel they have to spend time with friends and family on vacation 24/7. Usually, people and families like to do things different ways. Maybe you agree to meet each day for dinner, or make a list of attractions you want to do together and then spend the rest of the time apart.

If you do decide to go moderate. They only place I'd consider due to your concerns are POFQ. It's small, has one bus stop, a great pool and water play area and a good food court. Plus it's just plain charming.

I understand where you're coming from. We've already established we're not going to be tied to each other. We'll do things together when nit makes sense but, for example, they're doing a day at Cape Canaveral and we're doing Universal. We may only overlap at parks on 1 or 2 days, but that's why I want to be nearby. Without a car, it's much easier to meet up for breakfast or dinner or at the pool if we're staying nearby each other.

Tinkerfan4ever

I agree with DisneyJoe. I would stay at AoA and let them get a room that fits their needs. If you want to meet up for meals, swimming or even parks, it is just a quick text to "meet at the pool at 5pm" or "meet at the MK bus stop at 9am". Then you will travel together, but are both still happy with your resort accommodations.

EOD K9

We have a trip planned in Novemeber that someone else is paying for and they pretty much decided we will be together the whole time. I'm grateful to them that they are taking all their grandkids, but it should be interesting. And by the way, I do like the WL Villas.

jeffmw

Original Poster
I've stayed in a family suite at ASM - I quite liked it and don't recall it being dingy.

When did you stay there? A big Disney buff told her at some point it's loud and that families don't stay there (which seems counter-intuitive). Would love to be able to convince her there's little difference between there and AoA...

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Have you thought of renting points through DVCrentalstore.com? For that time of year, it might still be possible to find rooms in January at WLV (however, they have the least amount of rooms for a DVC). Also quite nice (and my personal favorite) and might be fun for the kids would be staying at AKLV (Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas). They are probably still open through DVCRentalstore in January.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
When did you stay there? A big Disney buff told her at some point it's loud and that families don't stay there (which seems counter-intuitive). Would love to be able to convince her there's little difference between there and AoA...

It was about 4 years ago or so, during Easter week. There were lots of families at the pool and in the food court (I was there with my own young child plus entended family). If I needed a suite again, I would definitely consider it - we were quite comfortable, had plenty of room, and I liked that there were two full bathrooms.

Traveling with other families is tricky - I've had both good and bad experiences - sometimes you don't know until you are in the middle of it all whether you have the same travel style or not, As one previous poster suggested, staying in two different sections of AOA may make the most people the happiest. Good luck!

Disvillain63

Another option could be that you stay in AoA and your friends stay in the 60s building at POP. The bridge between the two is not a bad walk. We did this a couple of years ago, and went between the two resorts, and enjoyed our downtime at both.

TheOrangeBird01

I always recommend upgrading to a moderate resort. The room size has been perfect for my family of 4 since my first trip (back when I was 4) up until now. There's more than enough space to move around/play in or whatever you and your kids want to do. My favorite moderate is Coronado Springs. It may not be explicitly "Disney" themed, but your kids will love the pool and slide, and the resort is so cozy.

But if you're still thinking about suites, go with AoA and let your friends decide where they want to go. It's their vacation too and they might like to have a little space/choice in where they go.

NiarrNDisney

You may want to take a look at the Coronado Springs, Dolphin and Swan I have found great deals at each that may be doable for your friend and will give you a larger room but if you are needing more space there are suites available. The 3 resorts are not the most Disney themed however they all have amazing pools, convenient transportation, lots of dining options and extras not available at the Values.

21stamps

Have you thought about renting points for a one bedroom? It could be a game changer for you, and probably around the same price as what you're already considering.

MaryJaneP

We experienced both, whole family in multiple rooms in one resort, and on another trip, each family at their own resort that they got to choose. We would definitely strongly recommend the later. Together time can be arranged. It also give you a reason to visit how the each other is enjoying their stay, maybe in different resorts. You each could make choices that are optimal to your own situations. Privacy is worth protecting and we think you both will have great stories to share with each other, other people, some which involve you together and some of which may be when you were separated.

oceanbreeze77

LOVED ASM family suites. Just got back like 2 days ago and have nothing but good reviews on the place. It may be dingy for someone who expects a lot but it was clean, pretty quite (except for busy afternoons, which is expected), and the room was spacious and my fiancé and I didn't feel on top of each other.

Jayandjack2

I would stick with AoA! The theming can't be beat with the age of your kids. Let them stay in Lm rooms! It really not that far of a walk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom