Looking for some Grand Floridian advice

SFMarine

How's it going everyone? I'm gearing up for a Disney visit in May and I've been contemplating if I should stay @ GF or not. I went there last year for dinner at Citricos and was very impressed by the resort. My thoughts were "I want to stay here next time." So here we are...:D

Just looking for some input by members on the forum who have stayed at GF before. I've been reading through the Trip Advisor reviews and it seems to be back and forth, but I really like the Monorail access especially since a member of my party will be riding around in an ECV.

~ Thanks

Tomi-Rocket

My DH and I have stayed twice, one time with our boys. We LOVE the GF! It's beautiful, elegant, serene and relaxing. My boys, who were 12 and 8 at the time, loved it too. I've seen so many comments of people who think it's "stuffy" but we didn't find this at all. We will stay again in the future after we've tried out more hotels on our "to do" list first. I just think you can't really go wrong y staying there. It was fun and fabulous for us!

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I stayed once overnight a while ago and liked it. But my stay in August won't be in time to give you a detailed response in time for your trip in May! :p

Upvote 0

dave&di

I stayed once overnight a while ago and liked it. But my stay in August won't be in time to give you a detailed response in time for your trip in May! :p

I would be very interested in your feedback, we off to the GF in Sept and I would love to know how the new DVC construction is affecting things.

Upvote 0

DougK

Many people complain it is "stuffy", I don't find that at all. However it is expensive, even by Disney's high standards of expensive. If money is no object get a Theme Park View room and enjoy!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

If you stay at the GF, be prepared to never want to stay anywhere else!!! Bite the bullet, you won't regret it:)

I wouldn't go that far. I've stayed at the GF twice, and I'll stay other places. That being said, I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

One word of advice - Don't waste money on a theme park view. You can barely see the top of the castle. Only place a theme park view makes a difference is from the Contemporary, and sadly, I refuse to stay there.

Upvote 0

dave&di

I wouldn't go that far. I've stayed at the GF twice, and I'll stay other places. That being said, I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

One word of advice - Don't waste money on a theme park view. You can barely see the top of the castle. Only place a theme park view makes a difference is from the Contemporary, and sadly, I refuse to stay there.

I stayed in 'Boca Chica' building, 3rd Floor in 2008 and had an amazing view of the castle. Am I right in thinking a 'theme park' view doesn't guarantee a castle view, there actually is a 'castle view' option that does give you a castle view?

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I stayed in 'Boca Chica' building, 3rd Floor in 2008 and had an amazing view of the castle. Am I right in thinking a 'theme park' view doesn't guarantee a castle view, there actually is a 'castle view' option that does give you a castle view?

We were in Sago Cay and were on the bottom floor. There's no such thing as a castle view. It's garden, water or theme park. I guess obviously if you're higher up, the view is better. I'll never waste the extra $100 per night again though. Not worth the possibility of getting a good view.

Upvote 0
It seems to be one of those resorts that a lot of people don't like until they stay there--I've done some manly guys who swore they would never stay there who now say it's their favorite resort.

I love it for the lobby alone. The nice rooms and excellent service just make it all the more appleaing.

Upvote 0

SFMarine

Original Poster
Everything about it is great with the exception of the rooms. For what they charge I expected a little more space.

I've heard about the room size problem multiple times. The standard rooms aren't any bigger vs the ones at POP or CBR etc.

Thanks for all the helpful input so far. I still want to stay at least a few nights to get a feel for it especially because this will be the first time I'll have Monorail access.

Upvote 0

jmargarone27

I guess the GF just holds a special place in my heart... not to sound corny, but it was the first and only resort I stayed at with my family prior to DVC and when I think back to those memories, it makes me love it even more!

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

My wife swore we would never stay at the Contemporary, we had to stay there 1 night in January 2011 for a conference, and now we will be back for a 3 night stay in March.

I wouldn't call it our favorite resort, but it's in our top 4 of Disney Deluxe resorts - so far.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

I really liked out stay at gf. we stayed club level and had a mk view (sigh)... the resort itself is beautiful and for staying club level it's the only one we feel was worth the extra money. we've also stayed club level at the poly, contemporary, boardwalk, and wilderness lodge.

just so you know where i'm coming from our favorite resorts are gf, poly, pofq are our top 3

great but not absolute favorites are por, cbr, csr, ssr treehouses, and wl (love wl resort but hate boat/bus only option that close to mk)

just ok for us were boardwalk (service/room issues but resort and location great may try again don't know yet), contemporary, and all star music.

Upvote 0

dave&di

We were in Sago Cay and were on the bottom floor. There's no such thing as a castle view. It's garden, water or theme park. I guess obviously if you're higher up, the view is better. I'll never waste the extra $100 per night again though. Not worth the possibility of getting a good view.

I agree, In 2008 we booked a 'Lagoon view' and got the stunning view of the castle, we are going back this year again with 'Lagoon view' which I think is good enough, a view of the castle will be a bonus.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom