Looking for more detail on FoP

Habituous

Original Poster
Hi all,

Apologies for what is a somewhat redundant post. I've read a ton of other posts on the topic and just haven't found the answer I'm looking for, so am hoping to prompt something that will be more clear for me.

So Soarin' is one of my favorite rides and I have no trouble at all from a motion sickness perspective. I do all the coasters just fine (except for Primevil Whirl - yuck!). But Star Tours and Mission Space make me sick as a dog. Even Dinosaur, which I used to love, gets me now (primarily due to the herky-jerkiness).

I've heard many people describe FoP as "Soarin' and Star Tours had a baby", but given one of these rides makes me sick as can be and the other is fine, I'm having a hard time gauging how I'll react to FoP. For example, one thing that gets me on Star Tours and Mission Space is that even when I close my eyes, the motion of the whole ride vehicle is still enough to keep the churning of my stomach alive. Some have said that a lot more of the movement in FoP is perceived, and you're on a moving seat as opposed to an entire moving ride vehicle, so I'm wondering if this would make a difference?

Any additional thoughts and guidance, especially given the queue, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance all!

Bonus question: Anyone had any luck with Scopolomine for motion sickness at the parks? I've heard good things and my doc said they'd give it to me. I've found Meclizine to be meh - works somewhat, but still get somewhat groggy. Dramamine is obviously a no-go unless I want to sleepwalk through the parks. And Zofran doesn't seem to do it for me once the sickness sets in. Any guidance in this area is also much appreciated!

Driver

Hi all,

Apologies for what is a somewhat redundant post. I've read a ton of other posts on the topic and just haven't found the answer I'm looking for, so am hoping to prompt something that will be more clear for me.

So Soarin' is one of my favorite rides and I have no trouble at all from a motion sickness perspective. I do all the coasters just fine (except for Primevil Whirl - yuck!). But Star Tours and Mission Space make me sick as a dog. Even Dinosaur, which I used to love, gets me now (primarily due to the herky-jerkiness).

I've heard many people describe FoP as "Soarin' and Star Tours had a baby", but given one of these rides makes me sick as can be and the other is fine, I'm having a hard time gauging how I'll react to FoP. For example, one thing that gets me on Star Tours and Mission Space is that even when I close my eyes, the motion of the whole ride vehicle is still enough to keep the churning of my stomach alive. Some have said that a lot more of the movement in FoP is perceived, and you're on a moving seat as opposed to an entire moving ride vehicle, so I'm wondering if this would make a difference?

Any additional thoughts and guidance, especially given the queue, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance all!

Bonus question: Anyone had any luck with Scopolomine for motion sickness at the parks? I've heard good things and my doc said they'd give it to me. I've found Meclizine to be meh - works somewhat, but still get somewhat groggy. Dramamine is obviously a no-go unless I want to sleepwalk through the parks. And Zofran doesn't seem to do it for me once the sickness sets in. Any guidance in this area is also much appreciated!
Frankly I've lost count on how many times I've been on FoP. But the ride vehicle doesn't really move that much. Most of it is visual, that being said many of the friends I've been on the ride with that are sensitive said they just focused straight ahead into the screen and were fine. In the same breath I also tell first timers it's like Soarin on steroids. And I am sensitive to spinny rides myself, but FoP doesn't affect me at all. To me it's a graceful feeling of flight with a few nose dives thrown in for the thrill.

hanwill

Its kinda like riding soarin through the woods on a motorcycle.... so those scenes in StarTours where they are going through the woods and ducking and zipping in and out of the trees is a major part of this ride. It feels like a motorcycle seating wise and the screen is like soarin in front of you.... Not much motion, but it feels like it does tilt a little not much...

Does that help?

wdworlandlover

I occasionally get motion sick on ST, depending what row I’m in. The first row is the worst for me. But I’ve ridden FOP quite a few times and have been fine. There’s not a whole lot of motion to it. To me it’s primarily the visual that could make me feel weird. The easiest thing to do in that case is just close your eyes for a moment. In any case, I highly recommend it! It’s an incredible ride and worth taking a chance to try it out!

PeakSeason

It’s an incredible ride and worth taking a chance to try it out!

Except, it isn't worth taking a chance on if it's going to ruin someone's entire day. That's what worries me. If I get sick, I'm not going to just be okay immediately afterward. This is my concern and the reason why I keep chickening out every time we visit Pandora. I have a Fastpass for our upcoming trip but I'm still undecided if I'll do it.

OP- thanks for this thread. I'm hoping you get lots of descriptions of what others have experienced and that we both can make a good decision about whether to take the plunge or skip it.

BoarderPhreak

It's a very smooth ride except in a very few locations where your banshee changes direction suddenly (it's a VR FlightSim after all) - but it's not jarring by any means. As mentioned; very much like Soarin' but your seated as if on a motorcycle/bicycle. Most of the motion is visual but is boosted by the ride vehicle; so as you compared, it's like Soarin' without the extreme movements of Star Tours or Mission Space.

fluffy

Is Soran the ride that everyone says you need to sit in the middle or you won't get the full effect of the ride? I've not been to Epcot for many years so this is new for us.

Mickey5150

I'm not really sure why people say it's just like Soarin, yes it has a really big screen but that's it. The ride vehicles are completely different and one is 3d. FoP has you sitting on a "bike" that has some movement. The ride vehicles themselves are pushed towards the screen to truly immerse the riders. I cant speak to motion sickness but there is at least one part where the vehicles drop, enough so you can feel it in your stomach, but not as much as a roller coaster. However, it is the most unique ride experience you can find, so that may make it worth it.

MrConbon

Speaking of the seating, would the position that a rider needs to get into be an issue for someone who has a problem bending one of their knees?

I would say so, yes. My mom can’t bend her knee due to a knee surgery and wasn’t able to bend it enough. If you can’t ride a bike I would say you can’t ride the ride. During boarding, cast members make you kick your legs back to make sure you’re locked in. You’ll need to be able to bend it like you are curling into a ball.

MrConbon

The only really jerky part is where you fly over the herd of cattle like aliens. there's a little bucking that happens when you fly over them. Not a big deal but the first time you ride it you will be surprised by it.

You don’t NEED to sit in the middle. If you sit on the far edges of the ride you’ll see some distortion in the video due to you being on the side of a dome screen.

wdwfan757

Star Tours makes me nauseous 50% of the time. M:S makes me nauseous 75% of the time. FoP makes me nauseous 0% of the time. I hope that helps. I'm lanky and have one awful knee and don't have too much difficulty getting comfy on FoP. Just don't ride it right after Kali with shorts that are stuck to you. It's not pleasant.

PeakSeason

I would say so, yes. My mom can’t bend her knee due to a knee surgery and wasn’t able to bend it enough. If you can’t ride a bike I would say you can’t ride the ride. During boarding, cast members make you kick your legs back to make sure you’re locked in. You’ll need to be able to bend it like you are curling into a ball.

Thank you so much for this detail. I will be canceling my FP so that another guest can grab it.

Oddysey

Just road FoP with a close friend who will not ride Soarin due to motion sickness. In fact, she was really afraid that she may be sick after riding because the sickness is so bad it typically ruins the rest of her day. She left FoP with no motion sickness, a huge smile on her face, and said that it was amazing. Wanted to wait 120 minutes to ride it again immediately.

Driver

Just road FoP with a close friend who will not ride Soarin due to motion sickness. In fact, she was really afraid that she may be sick after riding because the sickness is so bad it typically ruins the rest of her day. She left FoP with no motion sickness, a huge smile on her face, and said that it was amazing. Wanted to wait 120 minutes to ride it again immediately.
That's awesome! I took a friend on FoP yesterday that is afraid of heights and will NOT go on Soarin...... he got off of FoP with the same results you got..... very cool!!

Driver

I believe the issue with FoP is fear of the unknown. If you know you have an issue with rides whatever it may be. Your anxiety level is going to be very high. I know mine was! But only you can know by giving it a shot if you will be ok. My thoughts on my first ride were " if it's bad for me then this will be a one and only" glad I did that because now I can't stay off it !!😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom