Looking for Animal Kingdom Lodge tips

LittleMerman

Sanaa, Jiko, and Boma are all great! Victoria Falls Lounge is a good spot to get drinks. Lots of places to see animals - outside the main lobby (you can walk or there are lookout balconies), from your table at Sanaa (located in the Vacation Club side of the resort), or you can walk outside of Sanaa to see them without a reservation. Have fun! We loved our stay a few years ago!!

Weather_Lady

You won't mind not having a view from the room -- as you'll discover, the resort is full of lookout points in the hallways and common areas from which you can watch the animals.

We've stayed at a number of deluxes, and as far as food is concerned, AKL blew all of the rest out of the water. Personal recommendations include Sanaa (for lunch or early dinner -- you don't want to go after dark because you'll miss the views of the animals outside the windows, and be sure to order the delicious bread service), Boma (we loved the dinner buffet), and Victoria Falls Lounge (can get very loud, but the drinks and appetizers are lovely).

The walk between Jambo and Kidani is just a few minutes, or you can take the internal shuttle if you prefer. FWIW, while "too far from everything" is often a complaint about AKL, when we stayed there for a week a few years ago, we found that the transportation to the parks was just as frequent and convenient as anywhere else, and didn't feel like we spent extra time on buses.

MickeyLuv'r

I stayed there with a standard view room- that's what you have- WDW just renamed Stnd view. My room had a view of the animals, but it was overlooking the pen/gate, so while it wasn't what most folks would consider optimal, I found the view unique and very interesting. The animals clearly know what time the gate opens, so they'd line up for it. IMO, it was a more interesting view than the times I've had savanna view rooms.

You can see the savanna from a number of spots around the hotel. There are nice porches with rocking chairs.

To tell the truth, I always think I'm going to spend more time looking at the animals than I actually spend looking at them. They are a great addition to the hotel, but penned animals are not nearly as interesting as wild animals, IMO.

We usually eat quick breakfasts. The Mara is not very exciting these days. If I stayed there again, I'd either do club level or eat breakfast in the room (delivered groceries or packaged items brought in my luggage.)

On my most recent visit to WDW, I used a local delivery service that was started by a former CM. He charged a $25 delivery fee, but otherwise the prices were reasonable, and they did a great job of delivering perishables, sunscreen, and all. Everything was packaged very nicely.

Boma is still decent as a TS dinner. Not quite as good as it used to be, but okay. I haven't been to Sanaa since before the pandemic. It is very attractive there though.

At Boma- I forget what they call it, but they offer a unique juice blend drink that's very refreshing. If you ask for juice, they will tell you about it. As I recall they offer it as a cocktail with - I think - vodka added if you prefer. I think they also have it at the pool bar.

AKL has a nice pool. It isn't huge, but I like how close it is to the main building. The hot tubs are also attractive, but sometimes get a bit busy.

TrainsOfDisney

For Animal Viewing -
at Jambo House there is the viewing area outside the lobby which has a pool for pelicans and the fields you will often see large birds, giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, and antelope.

There is a flamingo pool near the swimming pool and next to the flamingos a viewing area with antelope and zebra.

at Kidani Village, the Vacation Club side next door - they have a large viewing area outside the lobby as well - in my opinion it’s designed better and you typically see more variety of animals including giraffe, zebra, antelope, crowned crane, ostrich, wildebeest, etc,

Next to the pool there is a small viewing area with okapi, large birds, the only Thompson Gazelle still at Disney, and occasionally you can see the red River hogs but they only get to come out a few hours a day because they damage the habitat haha.

In both resorts there are several balconies where you can sit and view the animals as well.

Lilofan

I stayed there with a standard view room- that's what you have- WDW just renamed Stnd view. My room had a view of the animals, but it was overlooking the pen/gate, so while it wasn't what most folks would consider optimal, I found the view unique and very interesting. The animals clearly know what time the gate opens, so they'd line up for it. IMO, it was a more interesting view than the times I've had savanna view rooms.

You can see the savanna from a number of spots around the hotel. There are nice porches with rocking chairs.

To tell the truth, I always think I'm going to spend more time looking at the animals than I actually spend looking at them. They are a great addition to the hotel, but penned animals are not nearly as interesting as wild animals, IMO.

We usually eat quick breakfasts. The Mara is not very exciting these days. If I stayed there again, I'd either do club level or eat breakfast in the room (delivered groceries or packaged items brought in my luggage.)

On my most recent visit to WDW, I used a local delivery service that was started by a former CM. He charged a $25 delivery fee, but otherwise the prices were reasonable, and they did a great job of delivering perishables, sunscreen, and all. Everything was packaged very nicely.

Boma is still decent as a TS dinner. Not quite as good as it used to be, but okay. I haven't been to Sanaa since before the pandemic. It is very attractive there though.

At Boma- I forget what they call it, but they offer a unique juice blend drink that's very refreshing. If you ask for juice, they will tell you about it. As I recall they offer it as a cocktail with - I think - vodka added if you prefer. I think they also have it at the pool bar.

AKL has a nice pool. It isn't huge, but I like how close it is to the main building. The hot tubs are also attractive, but sometimes get a bit busy.
We love AK Lodge and Boma buffet breakfast / dinner. A number of African dishes and that Jamba Juice for breakfast is delish! AKL has a small gym but its good.

BeanCounterBob

My DVC home resort is Jambo House. By far the best lobby ever! The entire feel of the hotel is incredible. There are several places to pop outside and view the animals. We have also had some of the best cast members on property there. One was our waitress at the little bar, just under the lobby. She loved our daughter and really went extra miles to have fun with her. The pool is great, and even in the summer time it never felt too crowded. The food is where it is at, for me. We usually walk over to Sanaa to get the bread and dip service. I love everything about this hotel, and I know its not everyones cup of tea, but for me its the best.

Ghostdog

You will LOVE AKL! There are lots of viewing decks throughout the lodge to sit/relax and watch the animals. Boma is good if you like a buffet. I highly suggest dining at Sanaa; it is a family favorite.

Enjoy your trip!

Schweino

We are also staying at Jambo for the first time ever in December (with a small chance we switch to Poly, depending on future Disney discounts I anticipate coming). I, personally, am slightly concerned about the amount of walking that I have heard at Jambo, depending on room placement. I did put in a request to be close to Lobby so hopefully that helps.

I am excited to try Boma breakfast though. We did dinner there on our last night back in 2022 and I give it a solid 7/10. That bread pudding and vanilla sauce was freakin leet.

DisneyFanatic12

Incase anyone wanders into the thread wondering how to increase their chances of a partial / “better” savanna view, you can always ask the front desk to put a note in ahead of time. If it isn’t very busy, they often consolidate the filled rooms to be as close together as possible (whether that be putting most guests in the same section or the same floor). I would never expect anything, but if they have the freedom to with the room availability, they’ll try their best to give you a partial/better view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom