Looking for a DSLR

tractorm3

Original Poster
Can any one recommend a great DSLR to buy? I have a budget of around $1200 and there are so many options out there it makes my head spin.

Sadly enough the most use it will see is on trips to Disney and other vacation getaways. I see some of the photos every one posts and the effects are pretty cool.

NowInc

Can any one recommend a great DSLR to buy? I have a budget of around $1200 and there are so many options out there it makes my head spin.

Sadly enough the most use it will see is on trips to Disney and other vacation getaways. I see some of the photos every one posts and the effects are pretty cool.

The camera is just a tool..the photographer makes the image :) So no certain DSLR will get you guaranteed results.

A few primer questions before the suggestions start being tossed out:

How familiar are you with DSLRs? Do you need something to learn on, or something more advanced (its not easy to dive in full force on a complicated rig).

What kind of photos are you looking to take? Disney, yes. But on ride? parades? animals? Landcapes? This will help us decide a good body/lens suggestion.

TYPICALLY you will be getting suggestions from Nikon, Canon, or Sony (there are other systems out there, obviously..but those are the big 3). Everyone will have their own suggestions based on PERSONAL preference, and each system has its strong and weak points. There is no perfect solution. So once we have more info, you'll get a varied list of suggestions...and from there, the best advice will be to go to your local camera retailer and physically hold them to see which one "feels" best.

whoiscliffwang

I think +/- 1200 should be able to get you an entry/mid level DSLR with a kit lens, possibly with a little left over for a f/1.8 prime lens.

But like NowINC said, it really depends what you're trying to shoot. Once you figure out your subject, it will make narrowing down your gear purchase easier.

whoiscliffwang

Oh, one other thing to keep in mind. Once you do make the initial purchase of a DSLR, you will most likely need to invest in memory cards, bags, tripods, filters, batteries etc. This could also run your budget up quickly.

tractorm3

Original Poster
I know the camera is just a tool and it matters alot who is using it. I have had a ton of practice using DSLRs but at the same time I dont think diving into a top end one will help me. I would care more about ease of use.

For the most part I am looking to take most picture on rides, moving objects, low light, parades. Those are the pictures my point and shoot just cant capture.

Also I am aware that the accesories can run up the bill and have factored more for that seperatly. right now I am looking for the core.

Grumpy-Fan

As a beginner in the hobby I purchased a Canon T3i and have been very happy with it. I`m still learning and have decided that I`m a ways off from upgrading. The one regret I have is buying it with a kit lens. I would buy the body only and get a better lens. I bought the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 as a replacement and have been very happy with it. I think you can get a T3i body and a better lens in your price range with enough left to buy some other essentials.

Last edited:

NowInc

And now I step in with the Nikon viewpoint :) The Nikon D5300 has a fantastic sensor that is passable in low light (same one used in the D7100). Agree with the above about ditching the kit lens. Go body only and you should have enough to snag the sigma 18-35 f1.8 which is a beast in low light..giving you wide (not the widest) and some minor zoom. The D5300 isn't entry, has some better bells and whistles, and is in the mid price range. Like I said above, its just an opinion, and in the end you should compile a list, then go check them out for yourself in person and see which feels best in your hands. Also..youtube is full of very helpful reviews on all camera bodies as well as lenses. Research until you can't stand it anymore...its an investment...a big one.

PhotoDave219

The latest Canon Digital Rebel or the latest Nikon entry level dSLR should be fine. Try out both brands before making a decision. Both have comparable image quality. Stick with those two manufacturers and you'll be fine.

Personally? I'd go with whatever Nikon has to offer and a 35/1.8 DX lens to go along with whatever lens comes with the camera.

thomas998

I know the camera is just a tool and it matters alot who is using it. I have had a ton of practice using DSLRs but at the same time I dont think diving into a top end one will help me. I would care more about ease of use.

For the most part I am looking to take most picture on rides, moving objects, low light, parades. Those are the pictures my point and shoot just cant capture.

Also I am aware that the accesories can run up the bill and have factored more for that seperatly. right now I am looking for the core.

Then the first question is whether you already have a film slr... if you do and have some lenses for it you might be able to use them when you get a dslr... That could lower your costs a bit... To be honest a point and shoot can do a lot of what you wanted, the part that could really go beyond the point and shoot is going to be the flash. No point and shoot I've ever had has as fast of a flash cycle or powerful flash compared to an add-on flash for a dslr... so to me that would be your biggest benefit you would instantly see in moving to a dslr... To that end I only have experience with Sony and Nikon flash systems and for me the Nikon wins hands down when using an external flash. The Sony is much more prone to over or under exposure when using a flash and it is very inconsistent almost random which makes it almost impossible to compensate for... Not familiar with Canon flash systems so someone else might want to shed some light on that brand.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Those shooting conditions pretty much sum up the most difficult subjects to shoot. Not only are they beyond a point and shoot, they are still beyond most DSLRs. You can spend upwards of $10000 and still find that the limiting factor with shooting those things in low light is the sensor. DSLRs are currently all about compromise. It is about choosing a system that fits most of your needs, and having limitations that you can live with. The limitation in most cases is going to be noise at high ISO.

I'm not saying you can't shoot in Pirates of the Caribbean and get OK results, but don't think that a DSLR will suddenly make everything great in those conditions.

thomas998

I would hope that he isn't intending on using flash on rides

Well a good flash on a ride will only result in good photo that will have no magic at all. I've seen a few of them and while they were well exposed there was no magic in seeing the various wires and other things that should never been seen, unless your goal was to try to see how they made the magic.

NowInc

Personally, I'd encourage anyone to avoid flash on rides as a general rule, such that you don't disturb other guests experiences. Ive seen many taken, and yes...every time the end result looks like total garbage.

tractorm3

Original Poster
Thank you all for the input!
No I do not intend on using flash on any of the rides where it is not permitted. I have been on those rides and in my opinion people who use flash on rides and during shows should be asked to leave.

I don't even want the view screen on during rides because the backlight on it in itself can be very un-magical for those around you.

I am not expecting a DSLR to suddenly give me those pictures I want instantly.

My father had a film SLR with MANY lenses but this was back when he did high school yearbook stuff. I am going to try and get home and check the camera bag out and see what is there. No idea how compatible the older things are with the newer.

stay tuned!

NowInc

Thank you all for the input!
No I do not intend on using flash on any of the rides where it is not permitted. I have been on those rides and in my opinion people who use flash on rides and during shows should be asked to leave.

I don't even want the view screen on during rides because the backlight on it in itself can be very un-magical for those around you.

I am not expecting a DSLR to suddenly give me those pictures I want instantly.

My father had a film SLR with MANY lenses but this was back when he did high school yearbook stuff. I am going to try and get home and check the camera bag out and see what is there. No idea how compatible the older things are with the newer.

stay tuned!

The good news is that most of the newer bodies still support the old lens standards. That will give you a GREAT head start on deciding on a system (with maybe only giving up the ability to auto focus and/or exposure metering depending on the body you end up getting)

tractorm3

Original Poster
I am like 90% certain there are a variety of lenses in a camera bag he saved. I will get some info on them.

whoiscliffwang

I've seen some pictures from members on here that were taken with a basic entry level Nikon and a 11-16mm Tokina lens.

Taking the picture is only 1/2 the battle. The other is post processing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom