Looking for a Disney themed career change in New England

Ronnie S.

Original Poster
Has anyone ever thought of making a career change to a Disney themed job? I'm in the Boston area and love all things Disney. I would love to live in the Orlando area and work for WDW in some fashion. I've thought of travel consulting but the money just isn't there. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Club Cooloholic

Has anyone ever thought of making a career change to a Disney themed job? I'm in the Boston area and love all things Disney. I would love to live in the Orlando area and work for WDW in some fashion. I've thought of travel consulting but the money just isn't there. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?
Eh, think twice my friend. Sometimes once you get a peak behind the curtain, it is harder to enjoy the magic.

disneyfireman

My friend from the military is plain clothes security..He LOVES it. He says Working for Disney is what you make of it. For him, its a dream to goto work everyday. I mean you choose? Fallujuh or Orlando? You put it in that perspective..and disney is the garden of eden.
He makes about 55k and has health care...In Ohio 55k is a bit low, about 15k -20k low for police or fire work.. But he is single and 55k is like 155k too us married guys..lol

Last edited:

disneyfireman

I will say, when i retire..Our plan is to move to the Orlando area...get a condo. Id love to work at disney a couple days a week..just for gambling money or "fun money" Something to do a couple days a week. ( ill have zero responsibility at that point off my life) So, who cares what i do. But, id love to work out and about the people at MK. I'll be done at 55 at the fire house...well see what the future holds.

Ronnie S.

Original Poster
I'm 47 and I'm not necessarily looking for employment within the parks right now. My background is in customer service and management (I'm also a freelance web / graphic designer) I would love to do something dealing with people on a daily basis which is why I looked into the travel consulting gig. You know the saying, do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life. Well, I love all things Disney and would like to do something Disney related as a career.

NickPytlinski

I'm 47 and I'm not necessarily looking for employment within the parks right now. My background is in customer service and management (I'm also a freelance web / graphic designer) I would love to do something dealing with people on a daily basis which is why I looked into the travel consulting gig. You know the saying, do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life. Well, I love all things Disney and would like to do something Disney related as a career.

Good Luck with your venture space ranger.

i'd love the same, im from the uk so much more difficult.

allidog1

Have you looked on jobs.disneycareers.com ?
Those are the jobs Sisney currently has available that include some more business/backstage jobs.

Club Cooloholic

I will say, when i retire..Our plan is to move to the Orlando area...get a condo. Id love to work at disney a couple days a week..just for gambling money or "fun money" Something to do a couple days a week. ( ill have zero responsibility at that point off my life) So, who cares what i do. But, id love to work out and about the people at MK. I'll be done at 55 at the fire house...well see what the future holds.
I met a janitor guy at the park who did this exact same thing. He honestly said it was this or finally join the Hells Angels , lol

Last edited:

danyoung56

An online friend of mine (on another site) just moved to Florida and got a full time gig driving Disney busses. So far he's loving it!

I plan to retire in another 4 years, move to Orlando, and work part time driving boats for Disney. They say the boat crews are made up of two main demographics - college kids and retired people. Perfect!

Shouldigo12

An online friend of mine (on another site) just moved to Florida and got a full time gig driving Disney busses. So far he's loving it!

I plan to retire in another 4 years, move to Orlando, and work part time driving boats for Disney. They say the boat crews are made up of two main demographics - college kids and retired people. Perfect!
Speaking of Disney drivers....don't we have our own resident driver? I can't recall his exact username so I can't look him up to send a message, but if someone else does maybe they can they ask him to swing by this thread and give some firsthand knowledge on what's it like working at Disney to the OP.

disneyfireman

I met a janitor guy at the park who did this exact same thing. He honestly said it was this or finally join the Hells Angels , lol
Yep. Agreed. I mean I’ll only be 55. And just want to pull down like 2 days a week. The bus driving gig isn’t a bad one I have been told. I’d rather be in the parks though. MK or AK.

disneyfireman

It would be perfect. I think for me. Just doing something in the parks a couple days a week. Just don’t know what.

JIMINYCR

Oh the dreams I dream....I'd love sell my business, dump all my connections to ME, get the heck out of snow, ice, sleet country and just bask in the FL warmth. But I'm not at that point in my life where it would be feasible. Good luck with your dreams 🍀... some people get to fulfill theirs. Maybe youll be one of them.

Phonedave

When you say you want to work for "Disney" what do you mean. TWDC has far reaching tendrils. IF you are looking beyond the parks, there are lots of opportunities out there. With web based and graphical design skills, BAMTech may be an place you want to look. ABC is also located in NYC.

If you do end up over there, remember who pointed you in that direction, if you every happen to need any broadcast media transport gear, or OTT streaming support :)

Seriously though, BAMTech is all over the place,. Any shows or events that you go to, BAMTech is sponsoring something. They look like they are growing (Ie hiring) to me.

Also, the group that does all of those vacation planning videos and other assorted promotional stuff where you see all of the shots of the parks. That is a separate group from the parks, and they are based in FL (but not Orlando). that's a creative bunch as well.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
A dose of reality injected into the sunshine...
Before you commit, check into: auto insurance rates in an Orlando zip code, utility costs (especially water and sewage), food costs, housing costs, traffic, home insurance (including hurricane and sinkhole deductibles), crime rates, average daily temperatures (especially July - October), property taxes, home owner associations, and retiree migration patterns.

Ronnie S.

Original Poster

Sounds good!!

Ronnie S.

Original Poster
When you say you want to work for "Disney" what do you mean. TWDC has far reaching tendrils. IF you are looking beyond the parks, there are lots of opportunities out there. With web based and graphical design skills, BAMTech may be an place you want to look. ABC is also located in NYC.

If you do end up over there, remember who pointed you in that direction, if you every happen to need any broadcast media transport gear, or OTT streaming support :)

Seriously though, BAMTech is all over the place,. Any shows or events that you go to, BAMTech is sponsoring something. They look like they are growing (Ie hiring) to me.

Also, the group that does all of those vacation planning videos and other assorted promotional stuff where you see all of the shots of the parks. That is a separate group from the parks, and they are based in FL (but not Orlando). that's a creative bunch as well.
Thank for the info!!

Ronnie S.

Original Poster
A dose of reality injected into the sunshine...
Before you commit, check into: auto insurance rates in an Orlando zip code, utility costs (especially water and sewage), food costs, housing costs, traffic, home insurance (including hurricane and sinkhole deductibles), crime rates, average daily temperatures (especially July - October), property taxes, home owner associations, and retiree migration patterns.
thanks for the info, although I'm not really looking to move down there I'm looking to do something Disney related up New England. I know I know I know, hmmmm....Disney in Boston...I guess I would like to be a travel agent and just guide people in the right direction when they're planning their vacations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom