Long stay- split or same room?

Poppyseedjrh

Original Poster
If you were going to WDW for a long stay (10-11 nights) would you want to do a split stay or would you be happy in the same resort the whole time? Would you get tired of the same resort after that may nights?

Tom P.

I would advise a split stay if there is a resort that, for example, you couldn't afford to stay at for the entire time but want to get to experience. For example, perhaps you stay at a moderate for part of the trip and then switch to a deluxe which you couldn't afford for the entirety. I think that's a good strategy.

But if it's just a matter of worrying you'll get bored or tired of the same resort, I agree with others that I think it's more relaxing and enjoyable to settle in to one resort and stay there the entire time.

In the Parks
Yes
This is just me personally, but if I'm ever finding myself tired or bored of a hotel room several days into a trip, I take that as a sign to cut the trip short and go home / to a different city rather than trying to switch hotels.

I've planned or fantasized about 10+ day Disney trips before (although the longest one I've ever actually taken is 9) and splitting the stay has never entered consideration. I'd sooner split the trip to two trips half as long at different times of the year, or split between Disney and some other vacation destination.

Raxel7851

We’ve taken many 10 day trips to WDW. Most have been to one resort, but as a previous poster mentioned, if there was a resort you’d like to experience, then maybe that would be a good reason to split stay. We’ve done that several times staying at GF, Contemporary, and even Pop. It was nice having those stays so we could make a decision to stay there at a future date. But other than that, we prefer staying in one spot for the entire time.

aliceismad

We did a split stay for an 8-night trip in 2019 and I loved it. It was fun to explore two different resorts, pools, dining, and areas, and it was easy because Disney moved our luggage. We packed two different bags of clothes so the unpack/repack/unpack wasn't as tedious. We stayed at POFQ for the first part and took the boat to Disney Springs, which was fun.

BASS

If you have small children, I'd avoid a split stay. But if you're packing super light and don't mind the extra hassle, might be fun.

JIMINYCR

We always go 14 days and stay in one resort. Never getting tired of being where we set up to stay. I wouldnt want the hassle of splitting my stay. If I wanted to try another resort I'd prefer to book it on the next trip. The one benefit you have staying in one spot is that you get to know the CM's on site and they get to know you. Weve had lots of fun interactions with many over the years which added greatly to our stays. And the longer youre there the resort feels more like your home.

Weather_Lady

We like split stays, for a few reasons:
1 - We can stay in hotels on opposite ends of Disney property, and take advantage of the proximity to certain parks while there (e.g., visiting MK while at a monorail or Seven Seas Lagoon resort, then on to a Crescent Lake or Skyliner resort so we can concentrate on EPCOT and HS...). This is especially helpful in that we don't rent a car and have to rely primarily on on-site transportation options.
2 - We pack super-light already (1 21" suitcase per person, everything in color-coded packing cubes), so our packing/unpacking routines take all of 5 minutes and we see switching rooms as an adventure rather than a hassle: mobile check-in saves a trip to the front desk, and Disney will transfer our luggage for us while we're in the parks all day.
3 - We enjoy trying new and different hotels and restaurants, and shorter stays in each allows us to splurge on resorts that we wouldn't be able to afford for our entire stay.
4 - Nowadays as regular housekeeping isn't being offered, we get to enjoy a fresh, clean room every time we switch hotels -- in fact, that's the only way to get a thoroughly cleaned room at the moment. ;)

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
4 - Nowadays as regular housekeeping isn't being offered, we get to enjoy a fresh, clean room every time we switch hotels -- in fact, that's the only way to get a thoroughly cleaned room at the moment. ;)
I'd seriously consider a trip just to stay in all the resorts I haven't been in yet. One night per each, sample the food, check out the pool(s), rate the bartending staff, and see how easy/hard they make the whole process...
Grand Flo, AKL, CBR, All-Stars, Art of Animation, and maybe a couple of the DVC resorts just to try them out as well. Maybe a park day for the Epcot Festival of the Month and to see the monstrosities for myself.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I'd seriously consider a trip just to stay in all the resorts I haven't been in yet. One night per each, sample the food, check out the pool(s), rate the bartending staff, and see how easy/hard they make the whole process...
Grand Flo, AKL, CBR, All-Stars, Art of Animation, and maybe a couple of the DVC resorts just to try them out as well. Maybe a park day for the Epcot Festival of the Month and to see the monstrosities for myself.
Leaving Saturday. 7 nights and split between 3 DVC 1 Bedrooms.

DisneyMusician2

I love a split stay for a long trip! Even do it on the mid-size ones sometimes just for fun :) Its a change to experience different areas of the resort you might not get to see all the time.

Hcalvert

We have stayed for 14 nights for the last few years during our June trips and both were split stays (Poly & AKL-Jambo and CCV & BWV). This was mainly due to not finding a DVC owner with enough points available to book a continuous stay at one resort as well as due to availability. We liked the Boardwalk Villas so much last time that we have booked our entire 15-night stay in June 2022 there and had to find someone who had 200 DVC points for rent at a decent price. I like split stays personally, but like someone else said, it can be a hassle on moving day. The resort you are transferring from will take your bags over to your new resort for you and they usually arrive some time in the afternoon.

Last edited:

bee

I have never stayed at WDW 10+ nights, but even for a 6+ night trip I like split stays. They allow me to try a resort I can't afford for the whole trip (or at least am not willing to pay for the whole trip!). In August 2019 I stayed at Pop for four nights and the Boardwalk for three nights because I couldn't afford to stay at the Boardwalk the entire time but wanted to try my first ever deluxe resort.

For my upcoming trip I am staying at the Contemporary for the first four nights, then the Swan for five nights. I've never stayed on the monorail line (and may never get to again!) and will be going to MK twice while at the Contemporary. I also have a few meals booked at the Poly and GF. I booked the Swan part of the trip using Marriott points so I only have to pay taxes and resort fees, and I'll be going to Epcot and Hollywood Studios while staying there.

ETA: I don’t have kids to worry about and I don’t usually schedule an early park day for the switch day.

Last edited:

lightguy

Just got back last week from a 10 night split stay- 7 nights BC, 3 nights AKL. We've never done a split stay before. It was fine and we didn't really have a choice at any rate because when we decided to make the trip longer, we couldn't get the extra nights at BC (DVC). But having done it once now, my preference would be to stay in the same hotel for the whole trip. We found it time consuming and stressful to have to pack everything up for the switch (mostly the night before). I should mention we have 3 kids and didn't have a car there. So it was packing everything up for 5 people, including groceries (DVC 1 BR), and getting it down to bell services at 8AM so we could get to a park for rope drop and then not being able to get into the new hotel until around 3 or 4PM. I don't think our stuff was delivered until about 6PM or so, which held us up from going back out. Everyone is different and I know many people like split stays, but for me, I thinks I'd like to just stay at the same place and relax.

Nottamus

We’ve split a few times basically to sample other resorts
We are DVC at AKL and love it there…and usually remember that as we are in another resort! 😁

there is definitely no bad place to stay- only one home

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom