Long lines at FP return queue

G00fyDad

I've been wondering that too - we've seen what happens when the ride goes down, which seems like a pretty easy fix. If the system went down, though, I'd imagine they would just have to take your word for it and let you on. You'd still get on the ride at the time you reserved, and you wouldn't be able to go on and change to a new experience, getting you an extra FP+, since the ride time has already started.

The only drawback here is that if people find out the network is down for however long, those in the know could essentially jump into ANY FP+ line and say they have a reservation.

When we just went we got in the FP line for Splash and the CM told us that we'd have to wait a minute. After a minute or so he told us, and everyone behind us that the ride was down. I asked him about our FP+ for the ride and he said that the system knows that you have a FP+ for the ride and that the ride is down. So that would open a FP at any ride we decided to go to automatically for us. Just one per band.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I'll stop calling them morons when I stop witnessing each one touching the wrong side of the band to the Mickey head even after the CM tells them three or more times "Mickey to Mickey". ;)

Oh... and it would help if the morons actually had a FP for the ride. They seem unable to read. The sign above them says FAST PASS RETURN, not Stand By.

AND... It would help if they didn't assume that the bands give them unlimited FP's. Many of these geniuses never bothered to get a FP because they thought they were automatic.

The first day or so in the parks it was kind of funny seeing these completely confused people standing at the front of the line slapping the wrong side of the bracelet to the pole, pushing the Mickey head with their finger, not even having their band/card out when they got there, or not even having a FP at all. However, after 4 or 5 days of this insanity it got to be a bit much.

I never once had an issue with the bands working well on the FP poles. I saw plenty of people in front of me using them just fine, but the morons that kept touching the closure side of the band or any one of the numerous examples I have mentioned really bogged the works up.

Maybe telling people Mickey to Mickey isn't to bright since there is a Mickey on the closure side of the band too. You can't blame them for getting the wrong Mickey the first time.

G00fyDad

Maybe telling people Mickey to Mickey isn't to bright since there is a Mickey on the closure side of the band too. You can't blame them for getting the wrong Mickey the first time.

Okay. I never even noticed that, but it only excuses part of the idiocy. It should be quite obvious to any functioning adult what Mickey head they are referring to. The one with the big bulge underneath with the electronics portion of the band. But maybe that is giving far too much credit for sense to people in this world today. :cautious:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Okay. I never even noticed that, but it only excuses part of the idiocy. It should be quite obvious to any functioning adult what Mickey head they are referring to. The one with the big bulge underneath with the electronics portion of the band. But maybe that is giving far too much credit for sense to people in this world today. :cautious:
Been thinking about my own comment and realized they would have had to use their band to enter the parks so that would have been their one time to get it wrong, if they were confused by the time they get in the parks they should know which Mickey to use.

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

Original Poster

It's still new, so there's going to be a learning curve and training for people to figure it out. It will level out after a few months. However, I do think Disney should do some promotional videos to get people acclimated to them. Particularly on resort TV and possibly even on DME.

Still, I think the scanning points could be tweaked to be able to read the bands without having to be so precise with how the guest places the band on the Mickey. Personally, I found it just a bit difficult sometimes to turn my wrist just right and position the Mickey on the ball. At least once I didn't place it just right and it didn't read, then I had another time that it read, but didn't come back with any answer whatsoever, I did it again and it worked.

SyracuseOrange

When we just went we got in the FP line for Splash and the CM told us that we'd have to wait a minute. After a minute or so he told us, and everyone behind us that the ride was down. I asked him about our FP+ for the ride and he said that the system knows that you have a FP+ for the ride and that the ride is down. So that would open a FP at any ride we decided to go to automatically for us. Just one per band.
Right - I know that's what happens when a RIDE goes down, but I'm wondering what happens when the entire system goes down. (The FP+ infrastructure, not the ride itself.)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We visited WDW 10/17 thru 10/20 and witnessed on several occasions long lines at the FastPass return queue. They moved pretty steadily, but tended to block the flow of traffic in the area at times. I attribute this mostly to the new usage of the Magicbands and people getting used to them. But, I think there seems to be a lot more FP usage as well. Rides we noticed the back up were mostly all of what would be considered "E-ticket" attractions, like Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, BTMRR, etc. I wonder how this will be during the holidays?

DS booked a room at the Boardwalk 10/17-10/21. Said the worst FP return line he saw was Toy going to One Mans Dream and standby was 2.5 hours. Longer than a flight from Chicago to MCO. One week later they took the FP option away from FP+ Magic Band wears. From the little he has seen, it still isn't helping. So far the FP return queues are longer and the standby is longer. Not fun.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
DS booked a room at the Boardwalk 10/17-10/21. Said the worst FP return line he saw was Toy going to One Mans Dream and standby was 2.5 hours. Longer than a flight from Chicago to MCO. One week later they took the FP option away from FP+ Magic Band wears. From the little he has seen, it still isn't helping. So far the FP return queues are longer and the standby is longer. Not fun.
You can still get a paper FP if you have a Magic Band. They haven't officially stopped this yet, they just announced they would be stopping it. From what I read posted it seems like it will be slow roll out like introducing the MBs.

Gabe1

You can still get a paper FP if you have a Magic Band. They haven't officially stopped this yet, they just announced they would be stopping it. From what I read posted it seems like it will be slow roll out like introducing the MBs.

I am confused. They stopped issuing key to the world cards to MB wearers. How do you get a paper FP without the key to the world cards?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I am confused. They stopped issuing key to the world cards to MB wearers. How do you get a paper FP without the key to the world cards?

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymag...gic-will-remove-the-key-to-the-world-card.htm

"For some resort guests arriving around October 27 2013, the standard Key to the World resort ID card will not be issued. This will leave only the MagicBand as the method for entering the resort room park entry, FastPass+ and payments."

Most guests are still getting KTTW cards right now if not all. Further down in the post a CM said they were doing CM of bands only testing this week.

Gabe1

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymag...gic-will-remove-the-key-to-the-world-card.htm

"For some resort guests arriving around October 27 2013, the standard Key to the World resort ID card will not be issued. This will leave only the MagicBand as the method for entering the resort room park entry, FastPass+ and payments."

Most guests are still getting KTTW cards right now if not all. Further down in the post a CM said they were doing CM of bands only testing this week.

CM's have already done band testing, so what is the point of them walking around again testing MB only?
Are they putting them up in hotels so they are testing the whole absense of KTTW? Sending CMs into the park using 3 FP+ at this stage of testing magic bands would provide what statistics? Who are the 'some guests' then?

wogwog

It's still new, so there's going to be a learning curve and training for people to figure it out. It will level out after a few months. However, I do think Disney should do some promotional videos to get people acclimated to them. Particularly on resort TV and possibly even on DME.

Still, I think the scanning points could be tweaked to be able to read the bands without having to be so precise with how the guest places the band on the Mickey. Personally, I found it just a bit difficult sometimes to turn my wrist just right and position the Mickey on the ball. At least once I didn't place it just right and it didn't read, then I had another time that it read, but didn't come back with any answer whatsoever, I did it again and it worked.
Junk systems and bad code do not tweak.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
CM's have already done band testing, so what is the point of them walking around again testing MB only?
Are they putting them up in hotels so they are testing the whole absense of KTTW? Sending CMs into the park using 3 FP+ at this stage of testing magic bands would provide what statistics? Who are the 'some guests' then?
They are putting them up in hotels for a night according to what the CM posted. I guess making sure the kinks are out before they start rolling it out ot resorts guests.

Gabe1

They are putting them up in hotels for a night according to what the CM posted. I guess making sure the kinks are out before they start rolling it out ot resorts guests.

That just makes me laugh. With all the kinks in the system this is the focus. How funny. My DS girlfriends magic band didn't work her entire stay last week to enter the parks, I can't imagine this is Disney's tech focus. Still laughing.

G00fyDad

Right - I know that's what happens when a RIDE goes down, but I'm wondering what happens when the entire system goes down. (The FP+ infrastructure, not the ride itself.)

Ohhhh. I suppose the CM's would simply have to direct guests to wait a little while if possible. Of course a system like this has a constantly mirroring backup system. If one failure happens then there is another drive/system that automatically kicks in.

stevehousse

I hear that if u wear your magic band on your left wrist and use your right hand for the fingerprint, you won't have to twist your wrist all funny to get the mickeys to line up...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom