Long Drive + 8 Year Old Child = Bored?

krts

Hey everyone!

For those who drive. What do you do to keep the kids occupied? We've got a 24 hour drive ahead of us and this is her longest drive in a car by far.

Also, her birthday is in October and we are going to Disney in December. What would you suggest for a birthday present that would help keep her occupied during our drive?

iPod? Nintendo DS? These are things I'm considering. What other sorts of things/tricks do you guys do to keep the kids from dying from boredom?

Thanks!!:D

Unplugged

Though I haven't tried it, a close friend of mine swears by his portable DVD player. His kids a re a few years younger (1,4,6). Games can be fun for kids (Nintendo), but on 24 hour drive how many games will be needed? (2,3,4...?) I honestly couldn't say. Just posing an option for you.

Have a fabulous trip!!
:wave:

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Portable DVD player with all their favorite Disney Movies.

Road Trip Bingo.

Snacks.

A pillow and blanket.

Night-time cold medicine.

These special markers that only show up on special paper.

Homework that they have to do since we took them out of school to make the trip.

Watch the planning DVD.

Upvote 0

Aurora_25

Portable DVD player with all their favorite Disney Movies.

Road Trip Bingo.

Snacks.

A pillow and blanket.

Night-time cold medicine.

These special markers that only show up on special paper.

Homework that they have to do since we took them out of school to make the trip.

Watch the planning DVD.
He's talking about the color wonder markers and the paints, our daughter loved them in the car and we didn't worry about her getting them on anything else. They make alot of coloring books for the markers and the paint and also just blank pages.
The DVD player was a big hit plus we learned that she gets car sick on longer car rides so we give her dramamine and then she sleeps for a little part of the trip.

She also has a leapster learning system that is really great- it has games and stuff, but it is educational rather than just the nintendo type of games. She has a spongebob game that teaches her about math, a princess game that teaches her math and reading and other games that are alot of fun and helps her learn. For most of the trip that leapster was on (she had headphones so that others in the car- her little brother and her parents- didn't get sick of hearing all the noise :) LOL )

Hope this helps!!

Upvote 0
I also love the Leapster...a good investment. Thanks for the head phone tip, didn't know you could do that. We're taking a 21 hour trrain ride with (3) 4 year olds, so I'll definetely be keeping an eye on this thread!

Upvote 0

Aurora_25

I also love the Leapster...a good investment. Thanks for the head phone tip, didn't know you could do that. We're taking a 21 hour trrain ride with (3) 4 year olds, so I'll definetely be keeping an eye on this thread!
There should be a jack on one of the sides or the top of the leapster for headphones (can't remember which and I don't have it in front of me) It really helped and she loved feeling like an "adult" because she got to have headphones on.

Upvote 0
There should be a jack on one of the sides or the top of the leapster for headphones (can't remember which and I don't have it in front of me) It really helped and she loved feeling like an "adult" because she got to have headphones on.

Great! Thank you!

Though now I have to add this to my "to do" list...we leave in five days!

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

As many have already mentioned, I have to also recommend a portable DVD player. It is the truly best thing to happen to those who hate to travel! I love mine!

Also....at that age you have to remember to plan on lots of "potty breaks" where you all can get out and stretch your legs, grab a Coke, and revive ourself.

Bring lots of snacks or plan on stopping at your "normal" dining times.

Make sure she can sleep comfortably during the night hours of the trip, so her schedule will not be "off" when you get to WDW.

Have you thought about stopping and spending the night about 2/3 of the way down? You can make it part of the adventure by spending a night in a fun hotel instead of driving all the way through. Your whole family will be well-rested, showered, fed, and dressed for your arrival at WDW the next day.

HAVE FUN!

Upvote 0

pinkrose

We've always kept our kids busy in the car with dvds and their Gameboy Advances.

This year, I've made them each an activity book (they are ages 9 and 11). I printed out the route (map, not directions), so they can see where we are as we go through different areas. I'm hoping this will cut down in the "When are we going to be there" and "Are we there yet?"'s. The next section is Journal pages. This way, the book will make a nice keepsake. I printed each page in a different color and added Disney clip art.There are questions, ect. for them to answer about their day. I also made a section of puzzles. I made copies of pages from a Disney activity book that I bought down there last trip. I also made some word searches on www.puzzlemaker.com They LOVE those. The last section is coloring sheets. I printed them off online from Disney's site. I put all of this in a flexable binder and made a cover sheet that fits into the clear part on the front.

Remember, when it comes to snacks on a long drive, high protein, low sugar snacks are best. :wave:

Upvote 0

Irene

Hi, we drive down as well even though our son is alot older we bring a couple of books plus a portable dvd player, we have a player that has games in it. Its made by Polaroid I hope this can help.:wave:

Upvote 0

Tweedle Adie

If she likes being read to, books on tape/CD are also another way to pass time. If you pick a book that is adult friendly like Harry Potter then you can all listen as you drive, which will cut down on the adult boredom as well.

Upvote 0

BigNormsMom

This may seem rather mundane, with all the new products that are out there, but when BigNorm was little we purchased a 7" screen tv that played off a cigarette lighter adapter ( We did not have DVD players in 84 but have since purchased one), so that he could watch his favorite Saturday cartoons. We also took along his "Touch and Tell" with as many disney products as we could find. Our drive is only 12 hours so we had to take books, and coloring books and other things. BigNorm is a lot older now, but every year before we take our "disney fix" I try to purchase the latest coloring book about disney and we all get a kick out of it when I pull out the latest coloring book. He still looked forward to it even though he is a grown man and has been on his own now for 6 years. It was the highlight of our trip and since DH has passed, we are not taking a trip this year. We have however talked about taking one next spring, and if we do, I will come up with another coloring book.:lol:

Upvote 0

minnie2000

We've always kept our kids busy in the car with dvds and their Gameboy Advances.

This year, I've made them each an activity book (they are ages 9 and 11). I printed out the route (map, not directions), so they can see where we are as we go through different areas. I'm hoping this will cut down in the "When are we going to be there" and "Are we there yet?"'s. The next section is Journal pages. This way, the book will make a nice keepsake. I printed each page in a different color and added Disney clip art.There are questions, ect. for them to answer about their day. I also made a section of puzzles. I made copies of pages from a Disney activity book that I bought down there last trip. I also made some word searches on www.puzzlemaker.com They LOVE those. The last section is coloring sheets. I printed them off online from Disney's site. I put all of this in a flexable binder and made a cover sheet that fits into the clear part on the front.

Remember, when it comes to snacks on a long drive, high protein, low sugar snacks are best. :wave:

Those are really good ideas - I will be using them - thanks!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Another thing we used to do when our kids were younger was just to wrap up some little surprises for them to open up along the way. Sometimes it would be when we crossed a state line, they'd get a new "present" - sometimes it would be a reward for patience - sometimes just something to celebrate going! It needn't be anything major - just a little something to make it special!

Upvote 0

TINKERLOR

We made our first trip to Disney World by Van in 2004. My daughter almost 2 at the time and my son 6. We had a DVD player which was a godsend. We took coloring books, game boys, leap pad, books, even CD players. Snacks for the kids and adults were great. We took breakfast in bed trays for this kids to color on top of. Honestly the kids did better than I did, as I don't enjoy driving. Which is why we have flown ever since. But seriously the kids did great!!!!!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I'm going to second something Tweedle Adie said, about bringing books/stories on tape or CD.

I'm enough of a couch potato to think that having a portable DVD player, or a laptop that plays DVDs, is also a good idea. But I'd hate to think that all that scenery would never get noticed by a child because they're too busy watching TV to notice the world outside the window. And there should be at least a few times during the car trips where there could be something you can all enjoy as a family. And stories on CD you can all enjoy together is a great thing to share. You can also have some Disney music CDs handy, too or CDs of clean, Bill Cosby-esque comedy.

I don't have a kid, but my fiancee & I drove down and back to WDW from central NJ twice last year, plus drove back after flying down in the summer of 2004 to avoid a hurricane. We had Sirius satellite radio, and spent a lot of time listening to their Old Time Radio station. Thrillers like Suspense and The Whistler, crime dramas like The Shadow & Boston Blackie, and comedies like Jack Benny & Burns and Allen were a lot of fun for us. While they may be a little scary, there are scary in a PG-sense, not terribly graphic, and allows all of you to use your imagination (far more than that awful Drew Carey "Sound Dangerous" deal at MGM). They also have Radio Disney & kids' music stations. There's a "Clean" comedy network, as well as their uncensored "Raw Dog" comedy station. And of course, if you want her to know how horrible the world can be when she gets older, there's always Howard Stern. :D You can pick a short-story or old time radio show to enjoy before or after bathroom or meal breaks, it gives you a story to concentrate on (so you're not getting on each other's nerves) and it also gives you something to possibly talk about later.

Many "plug and play" satellite radio receivers use an FM frequency you can hear in your car radio, plus a headphone jack, so she can hear something indepedent of what you're listening to if you want to listen to regular radio or a CD.

And of course, there's nothing wrong with bringing along a book or two. When I was a kid I could be counted on to have a bag filled with books for long car trips, and more often than not, I'd finish all of them. Granted, we didn't have DVD players or laptops then.

Also, as far as movies go...I don't know how much you'd want to spend on keeping your child entertained on this car ride, but if you're thinking about buying her an MP3 player, anyway, itunes now offers downloadable Disney movies, so you wouldn't have to worry about packing all those DVDs (just worry about an 8-year old losing a 400 dollar mp3 player with a hundred dollars of movies on it, haha). There's also an ipod-esque mp3 player out there I treally enjoy, made by Creative Labs. It's called the Zen Vision: M. On top of all the similar features ipod has, it also has a built in FM radio, a voice recorder (for fun singalong or Q&A sessions in the car), And, if you have Tivo, you can transfer files from your Tivo to your computer, and then convert them into WMV files that the Vision: M can play. I often convert some of my favorite TV shows and watch them on the train ride to and from work. Plus, you can always a get a cassette adapter or FM modulator to hear the audio from the MP3 player in the car's radio.

If after all those options, your child is still bored, just leave her at a Cracker Barrel.

Upvote 0

Raven66

On our first trip, our DD was 5. We brought a portable DVD player and her Disney movies to get in the mood. CD's, coloring books, barbies, regular books (reading in a car can give some people a headache so make sure to have some children's tylenol with you) We made her a "bed" in the back seat. She is our only one, so she had the whole back to herself. Lots of snacks on hand too. And whatever you do, don't forget the headphones. They are great. Thankfully we fly now:sohappy: Taking a road trip every once in a while is fun, but when it comes to Disney, I like to get there and get my vacation started.:lol:

Have fun!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom