log flume system

michael92

Original Poster
hello, I have a question, does anyone know the answer? How does a log flume ride works..? the water under the log is propelled..? also, are the logs fixed into a track or something? thanks in advance

svickersart

The log floats on the water and is propelled by the current in the water. To make a climb on a hill the log or boat sits on a rubber belt that lifts it to the next level, there is usually a slight drop at the top of a hill, or in the case of Splash Mountain there is a big drop on the last hill. There is no track the log runs on like a roller coaster but it does fit in the flume which has sides to keep it running along the path. Thus the name "flume ride".

I'm sure you could build, and maybe some have built, flume rides that have a track but most common is they just float on the water.

Rob562

One other point, in most places in Splash Mountain I believe the water flows only by the force of gravity flowing downhill. (Most log flumes operate in this manner) Water is pumped to the top of the mountain, where it then flows down to the lowest point in the system, which is a large reservoir backstage. The water is the pumped back up to the top again.

This is in comparison to the flat-level boat rides like Pirates, IASW and The Land where there are water jets pushing the boats along the ride path.

-Rob

rackman

The log floats on the water and is propelled by the current in the water. To make a climb on a hill the log or boat sits on a rubber belt that lifts it to the next level, there is usually a slight drop at the top of a hill, or in the case of Splash Mountain there is a big drop on the last hill. There is no track the log runs on like a roller coaster but it does fit in the flume which has sides to keep it running along the path. Thus the name "flume ride".

I'm sure you could build, and maybe some have built, flume rides that have a track but most common is they just float on the water.

Actually, Splash mountain has a rail system on the big drop. There are two u-channels on either side of the flume with the openings open towards the boats. There are a set of guide/load wheels below the waterline and when the boats drop, they slot into the rails. This way, when the boat drops, it is above the water in the channel drop. On the runout of the drop under the bridge, the boat is gradually lowered back into the flow. This allows for better control of the boats on the drop. In fact, there is a set of emergency brakes on the runout section of the ride. Without the rails, the boats couldn't be stopped at the end of the runout.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Splash is a combination flume/coaster. There are two points where your log is not floating, the 'swoop' in the dark and again for the big drop. At both those points you're riding on wheels on a track.

PRE

How about the "lifting" part? Seems like most use a conveyor type belt that the boat/log sits on with several spring loaded safety levers on the sides to stop it if it starts to slide backwards?

TomboyJanet

When I was on Splash in Florida for my final rides I've noticed a strange "sucking/Buzzing" sound in the water by where Brer Frog is on Brer Gator singing. I wonder what that was?
When I was a kid I noticed something similar on the Small world before the London part. I thought a Bee got stuck in the ride lol

91JLovesDisney

When I was on Splash in Florida for my final rides I've noticed a strange "sucking/Buzzing" sound in the water by where Brer Frog is on Brer Gator singing. I wonder what that was?
When I was a kid I noticed something similar on the Small world before the London part. I thought a Bee got stuck in the ride lol
There's a small mechanical fish that jumps out of the water, it's just on an arm that moves in a circle. It's usually broken but you can still hear it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom