Living sea's elevators

DarkMeasures

Yeah. But the elevator has a shaking floor that drops about an inch (or rises) at the very start so it feels like your moving. But it is really fun to watch when both sides of the elevators are open. (I have seen that happen everytime I went on it)

careship

They aren't "elevators"......

The Hydrolators aren't real elevators though - while they do descend, it's only around an inch to give the feeling of stopping at the end of a descent.

The only thing I think those elevators do is shake, to give the effect your moving and they move up and down to give you the effect the your going down, but I was there and they where having technical difficulties, both doors where open and you could see right throught. They move no more than a foot if that.

Tara Mae

I believe the hyrdovators only go down about an inch, the walls move upward in a scroll, and the floor shakes and rises on it's own. :D Ever seen both doors open? Proves the truth: Ain't no vater. ;)

AndyP

If you look at the floor when exiting, you can see there is no actual elevator shaft. They are a pain really, lol, nice touch for young kids though!

Tim G

careship said:
They aren't "elevators"......

The Hydrolators aren't real elevators though - while they do descend, it's only around an inch to give the feeling of stopping at the end of a descent.
Yes They ARE real elevators, only these ones only move 2 inches... and have no real shaft, but OTIS installed them, so technical the are elevators...

AndyP

Not saying you are wrong, but when exiting the hydralators on my last visit, it seemed the floor was basically joined to the outside, and only the door tracks were there, the rest ws concrete, so it seemed to me that the are basically just a room with a moving floor.

Bairstow

Yep. The hydrolators are built with real Otis Elevator doors and floors. And guess who owns Otis Elevator?

One thing about the Hydrolators have always bugged me though: the light in the ceiling. It's supposed to make it look like you're underwater, but when you exit the pavillion, how is there supposed to still be water above the hydrolator? There needs to be a powerful floodlight above the rippling blue water effect that can be turned on during the day at the end of your "hydrolator trip up" to emphasize that you've reached the surface. Of course, you'd still have the bubbling rock walls on the sides, but there's no way to really fix them. Not cheap at least. How cool would be if they could flash-drain them at the appropriate time?

LSUxStitch

While being trained in custodial engineering :)...i was put in charge of the Living Seas..and my custodial teacher that was showing me the ropes was telling me this story about how a lady sued disney because the Hydrolators busted both of her ear drums, due to traveling great distances underwater in too quick of a time...She showed up in Court with both of her ears bandaged up and court proceeded....the Judge then brought the courtroom on another day (lawyers and others) to disney world...where disney castmembers showed the judge and the lady how the hydrolators actually worked...she refused to get on due to thinking they would damage her ears more...LMAO...but after the judge saw the inner workings..he dismissed the case...Well if this story is myth or not..i do not know..but i have heard this story a couple of times from the old timers around EPCOT in TLS...but i found it relatively amusing..lol

WDWScottieBoy

I wish they would also add just a touch of a pressure change to make it seem like you're going on an elevator moving up and down. How about some nice elevator music playing too, maybe a subtle Disney song in the background.

rainfully

LSUxStitch said:
While being trained in custodial engineering :)...i was put in charge of the Living Seas..and my custodial teacher that was showing me the ropes was telling me this story about how a lady sued disney because the Hydrolators busted both of her ear drums, due to traveling great distances underwater in too quick of a time...She showed up in Court with both of her ears bandaged up and court proceeded....the Judge then brought the courtroom on another day (lawyers and others) to disney world...where disney castmembers showed the judge and the lady how the hydrolators actually worked...she refused to get on due to thinking they would damage her ears more...LMAO...but after the judge saw the inner workings..he dismissed the case...Well if this story is myth or not..i do not know..but i have heard this story a couple of times from the old timers around EPCOT in TLS...but i found it relatively amusing..lol
OMG!! :lol: If someone could find proof of this happening, I'd love them forever!! HAHA!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom