Living near WDW?

Laura

Premium Member
Clermont really is full of really really big, scenic hills and lakes. It is a very different landscape than the rest of central Florida. You can see a really long ways in all directions from the tops of the hills. We can see downtown Orlando, Icon Park, and even Disney World (the Contemporary, Spaceship Earth, etc.) from way out here.

I have tried capturing it in photos, but my phone's camera makes it look flatter than it is. The only place I have ever lived that has a landscape similar to this is San Diego county.

IMG_9982.jpeg

IMG_9980.jpeg
IMG_9971.jpeg

Topographic map....
Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 7.50.09 PM.png

Last edited:

note2001

May I suggest you rent and live there for a few months, get to know the various areas and feel for what it's like before buying a new home and relocating?

I also thought I wanted to retire to the WDW area. Lived there on and off for over a year as I helped my mom out and have decided absolutely not. It just wasn't me and I wanted to keep the Disney resort as a vacation destination in which I could fully relax. Just don't get that feeling living there.

Last edited:

note2001

Clermont really is full of really really big, scenic hills and lakes. It is a very different landscape than the rest of central Florida. You can see a really long ways in all directions from the tops of the hills. We can see downtown Orlando, Icon Park, and even Disney World (the Contemporary, Spaceship Earth, etc.) from way out here.

I have tried capturing it in photos, but my phone's camera makes it look flatter than it is. The only place I have ever lived that has a landscape similar to this is San Diego county.

View attachment 679489

View attachment 679490
View attachment 679491

Topographic map....
View attachment 679492
I know those intersections and roadways too well. Clermont is growing at an insane pace, that's not a particularly good thing.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

View attachment 679489

View attachment 679490
View attachment 679491

Topographic map....
View attachment 679492

We have those here in Tally...the city is known for its 7 hills. But those aren't mountains.

The Laguna mountains run along the eastern side of San Diego.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Resurrecting this thread a bit...

We are going to be going down in mid-July and have a list of neighborhoods to shop around. Not looking for actual houses, but will be driving around different areas just to get a feel for them. Retirement is most likely August 2025, so we still have a couple years to work things out.

Areas we are planning to check out include Waterleigh, Windermere, Hamlin Grove, Clermont, and Horizon West. Maybe Winter Garden as well. Only thing we've been specifically advised against is Pine Hills (multiple people). But, always welcome to more ideas.

Hoping to hit some local (less tourist focused) restaurants in the area, again just to get a feel for things. So, suggestions of those are most welcome.

And want to explore other things in the area. Possibly hiking some in Lake Louise State Park, but welcoming other ideas. And, of course, we will spend a little time with the Mouse.

LAKid53

Premium Member

We are going to be going down in mid-July and have a list of neighborhoods to shop around. Not looking for actual houses, but will be driving around different areas just to get a feel for them. Retirement is most likely August 2025, so we still have a couple years to work things out.

Areas we are planning to check out include Waterleigh, Windermere, Hamlin Grove, Clermont, and Horizon West. Maybe Winter Garden as well. Only thing we've been specifically advised against is Pine Hills (multiple people). But, always welcome to more ideas.

Hoping to hit some local (less tourist focused) restaurants in the area, again just to get a feel for things. So, suggestions of those are most welcome.

And want to explore other things in the area. Possibly hiking some in Lake Louise State Park, but welcoming other ideas. And, of course, we will spend a little time with the Mouse.

I've got a townhouse in Waterleigh. Convenient to shopping at Hamlin Grove, the shopping center at Winter Garden Vineland. And 10 minutes from WDW. Lots of green space for walking, running, biking. Every phase has a pool and playground. We have food trucks once a month, events, holiday parades. There's a fitness center, tennis court and volleyball. And a Publix is under construction at the entrance. Love the area.

Phase 4 is currently under construction. Not sure if there will be anything available in July. Lots of homes going up along 429, if you wanted new build.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've got a townhouse in Waterleigh. Convenient to shopping at Hamlin Grove, the shopping center at Winter Garden Vineland. And 10 minutes from WDW. Lots of green space for walking, running, biking. Every phase has a pool and playground. We have food trucks once a month, events, holiday parades. There's a fitness center, tennis court and volleyball. And a Publix is under construction at the entrance. Love the area.

Phase 4 is currently under construction. Not sure if there will be anything available in July. Lots of homes going up along 429, if you wanted new build.

We are definitely going to set up a visit to Waterleigh and look at some of the models. Do you know if Phase 4 is the last or is there more that might be happening in the future?

Lilofan

There are many areas to reconsider living at around Orlando and Kissimmee but the areas you mentioned are better bets for now.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We are definitely going to set up a visit to Waterleigh and look at some of the models. Do you know if Phase 4 is the last or is there more that might be happening in the future?

I believe Phase 4 is the last. If you're down there when I am, I'd be happy to give you a tour of my townhouse and a walk around my part of Waterleigh.

The HOA takes care of the exterior, including landscaping. And the roof, which was nice after Ian blew through in late September. The neighborhood is well kept. The HOA is a professional company...and not obnoxious.

There's also new construction in Hamlin Grove (where Walmart & Publix are). Added bonus - 5 minutes from a new Orlando Health hospital.

Both homes & apartments are being built along Avalon.

I really like Horizons West. I looked at areas in Windermere and south of Flamingo Crossings. Was glad when a townhouse in Waterleigh was put on the market.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member

There is a Middle Eastern restaurant called Jerusalem Restaurant at 192/535. Huge portions and spectacular food for great prices. Just a few minutes from WDW. If you care to venture a bit further East on 192 there is a place called El Tenampa. It is the best Mexican food I have had in Central Florida.

LAKid53

Premium Member
There is a Middle Eastern restaurant called Jerusalem Restaurant at 192/535. Huge portions and spectacular food for great prices. Just a few minutes from WDW. If you care to venture a bit further East on 192 there is a place called El Tenampa. It is the best Mexican food I have had in Central Florida.

The Turkish restaurant Bosphorus in Hamlin is also very good.

Lilofan

Been to both, spectacular. El Tenampa has better quality tortas and tacos than some places in Houston.

Vegas Disney Fan

I also thought I wanted to retire to the WDW area. Lived there on and off for over a year as I helped my mom out and have decided absolutely not. It just wasn't me and I wanted to keep the Disney resort as a vacation destination in which I could fully relax. Just don't get that feeling living there.

This is my biggest fear with my plan of retiring near WDW, I originally moved to Las Vegas because it was my vacation spot and I loved it, I still enjoy living here but very rarely do I go near the Strip for anything but work and when friends are in town. I’d hate for WDW to become a place I also avoid because it’s lost its appeal from familiarity.

This is a big reason I’ve debated whether Tampa (or another area within a couple hours away) makes more sense, close enough to visit when I feel like it but not so close I tire of it and just associate it with too much traffic and too many people.

I love the rural North Carolina / Tennessee areas but a 10 hour drive is too far away and I don’t want to deal with airports, a 2-3 hour drive is my limit, which pretty much limits the search to Florida.

My other fear is how quickly it’s growing, I like the more rural suburban areas and there’s not many left in FL, I’ve been leaning towards Clermont and even Winter Haven but they’re both being quickly absorbed into the metro area.

Lilofan

The Turkish restaurant Bosphorus in Hamlin is also very good.
I ate at the Bosphorous location good quality in Dr Phillips which is an upscale neighborhood. The waiter told me at that time the Orlando Magic player from Turkey ( can't remember the player name ) ate there quite frequently because the food reminded him of home.

Lilofan

This is my biggest fear with my plan of retiring near WDW, I originally moved to Las Vegas because it was my vacation spot and I loved it, I still enjoy living here but very rarely do I go near the Strip for anything but work and when friends are in town. I’d hate for WDW to become a place I also avoid because it’s lost its appeal from familiarity.

This is a big reason I’ve debated whether Tampa (or another area within a couple hours away) makes more sense, close enough to visit when I feel like it but not so close I tire of it and just associate it with too much traffic and too many people.

I love the rural North Carolina / Tennessee areas but a 10 hour drive is too far away and I don’t want to deal with airports, a 2-3 hour drive is my limit, which pretty much limits the search to Florida.

My other fear is how quickly it’s growing, I like the more rural suburban areas and there’s not many left in FL, I’ve been leaning towards Clermont and even Winter Haven but they’re both being quickly absorbed into the metro area.
That's a concern for a number of folks moving to Central FL. Those areas that are growing will continue to grow with much more homes, condos, shopping and dining options bring built on vacant land . Sadly the roadways that don't grow and be built as fast will be more and more clogged with traffic.

Vegas Disney Fan

That's a concern for a number of folks moving to Central FL. Those areas that are growing will continue to grow with much more homes, condos, shopping and dining options bring built on vacant land . Sadly the roadways that don't grow and be built as fast will be more and more clogged with traffic.

Florida would be incredibly smart to learn from CA and TX and put in (or at the very minimum buy land and plan for) mass transit while they still can, that way they can avoid a situation like CA where it’s going to take unbelievable amounts of money to put it in after the fact and avoid situations like Houston where they have 16 lane interstates that still can’t keep up with growth.

The way FL is growing there’s no way to avoid the inevitable traffic problems with road building alone.

I wish more Americans would visit Europe and see how convenient good mass transit really is, here we associate buses and trains with poverty and criminals, in Europe it’s comfortable and often even luxurious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom