Live-ish blog. My thoughts and observations April 7-13

Staying at AKL Jambo House...

I am gonna try and just hit some bullet points here. We will start off with post 1, night one...

We arrived at MCO at 9:12pm. Headed straight to Magic Express, boarded a waiting motor coach. We then proceeded to wait for approximately 45 minutes to leave. They packed the bus to bursting, and people were standing in the back(against policy, but I guess efficiency beats safety) we were the 3rd stop and didn't arrive at our resort till a little after 11.

We were then woken up at 2am by a call from bell services asking if they could deliver our luggage. This was after I spoke to them at 11, and specifically asked them not to call or knock that night. I was infuriated. Also, despite talking to the front desk and bell services, I was basically given a "we're sorry" shoulder shrug. Which, believe it or not, doesn't help with my 3 year olds lack of sleep.

Anyhoo, that's day 1. Good start.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
Any good eats at DS? I haven't been there in years and have been looking at some menu's, there are a lot of places that sound great.

This trip we only had T-Rex. Which was terrible. But we are traveling with a just 3 year old.

The last time we came we came without kid. On that trip we had The Boathouse and it was positively fantastic.

We also had drinks at Dockside Margaritas and that was really fantastic.

Raglan Road is always good too.

The Polite Pig just opened and it looks awesome. I'm about ready to put the kiddo on a plane back to NJ simply to enjoy Disney Springs.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The scooters are pervasive here and only here at WDW. That's a fact. No where else in the country do you see this. It's an observation, not a judgment.
I have witnessed many miracles at WDW when a person in a scooter parks it, then the miracle occurs. They get off it and walk perfectly fine. I am aware that some people have disabilities that are not noticeable and that is completely understandable, but the chances of every person in a scooter having that type of disability is pretty slim, if not zero.

The scooters themselves really dont bother me, but the bus stop nonsense with them does. When youve been waiting for 20 minutes in the heat for a bus to arrive and a scooter with a large group of people pull up and board right away with no wait is upsetting. Especially when you have to wait for the next bus due to the scooter group. Its part of the reason we prefer the Boardwalk resorts. We will take the monorail from MK to Epcot when returning to avoid the buses, and we can walk to HS and Epcot. Only need bus for AK.

Zipadeelady

This trip we only had T-Rex. Which was terrible. But we are traveling with a just 3 year old.

The last time we came we came without kid. On that trip we had The Boathouse and it was positively fantastic.

We also had drinks at Dockside Margaritas and that was really fantastic.

Raglan Road is always good too.

The Polite Pig just opened and it looks awesome. I'm about ready to put the kiddo on a plane back to NJ simply to enjoy Disney Springs.
We're definitely going to try Dockside Margaritas and swing into the Polite Pig.

I think it's time to plan an adult only trip. ;)

I have witnessed many miracles at WDW when a person in a scooter parks it, then the miracle occurs. They get off it and walk perfectly fine. I am aware that some people have disabilities that are not noticeable and that is completely understandable, but the chances of every person in a scooter having that type of disability is pretty slim, if not zero.

The scooters themselves really dont bother me, but the bus stop nonsense with them does. When youve been waiting for 20 minutes in the heat for a bus to arrive and a scooter with a large group of people pull up and board right away with no wait is upsetting. Especially when you have to wait for the next bus due to the scooter group. Its part of the reason we prefer the Boardwalk resorts. We will take the monorail from MK to Epcot when returning to avoid the buses, and we can walk to HS and Epcot. Only need bus for AK.
Not to get into a scooter debate on someone's trip report but I don't understand why if your on a scooter you get to go to the front of the line. If it was me I would scoot myself in the line like everyone else and wait my turn not just expect to get to go to the front of the line. BUT now that I'm typing and thinking then I suppose that wouldn't matter because most times everyone at a bus stop gets on and they do have to load the scooter first. :rolleyes:

KBLovedDisney

Maybe Disney should bring out scooter specified buses to cut back lines and waiting times.

Oh and I have to add in a short story here. Years ago, my late father was riding one of those. He could walk but not for long. His legs always hurt. Anyways, we were on Test Track and we were in the middle of the line. (This was the old Test Track so everybody saw everybody since the line was in an open "Test" area). And so, the ride breaks down and CMs tell us we have to exit. Well, the lines and scooter was only meant to go one direction and he could not turn around in it.

So, what does he do? He gets out of the scooter (everyone is watching at this point), him and my brother pick up the scooter...lifting it above their heads, and turns it around so he could go in the direction of the exit. I remember my mother being incredibly embarrassed and I was laughing my butt off.

Ah memories.

amjt660

XDan
This is a fascinating live report.

I feel your pain on bus waits and the imperfect system Disney has created with scooters/wheelchairs/etc.
The "missing a bus because the scooter crowd bumped you" scenario would make my blood boil.

I noticed your report is filled with both positives and negatives about the parks
Perhaps not equally balanced but that can happen

I hope it gets better (or at least some things do)

I am looking forward to your final wrap up - I would suggest getting home and waiting about a week to let it all settle in
That way you can give a good reflection on the entire trip as a whole

Thanks for doing the TR

Max

amjt660

Maybe Disney should bring out scooter specified buses to cut back lines and waiting times.

Oh and I have to add in a short story here. Years ago, my late father was riding one of those. He could walk but not for long. His legs always hurt. Anyways, we were on Test Track and we were in the middle of the line. (This was the old Test Track so everybody saw everybody since the line was in an open "Test" area). And so, the ride breaks down and CMs tell us we have to exit. Well, the lines and scooter was only meant to go one direction and he could not turn around in it.

So, what does he do? He gets out of the scooter (everyone is watching at this point), him and my brother pick up the scooter...lifting it above their heads, and turns it around so he could go in the direction of the exit. I remember my mother being incredibly embarrassed and I was laughing my butt off.

Ah memories.
Great story !!
Thanks for sharing

Max

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
I love wdwmagic and have been visiting the website almost daily as my hubby and I have a trip coming up in May (celebrating one year anniversary :)) and it's great to see news and updates. A recent interest has been reading trip reports! Reading some of them makes me feel like I'm there and just adds to my excitement.

I want to note that until today, I was simply a wdw visitor and not member. But I signed up, literally 2 minutes ago, just to post on your trip report. Because OMG you're in Disney - the happiest place on earth - and it's all whine, whine, whine. Not even constructive criticism, just serious negativity. Why go to Disney if you're just gonna hate on everything? I second what the member above asks - are you having fun at all?!! :facepalm:

Yikes.

I wish my thread didn't get moved. i initially had this is general discussion. Where a little negativity is normal. Down here in trip reports, not so much.

Sorry I picked on your favorite company. Maybe grow up and realize that not everything here is sun shine and giggles.

For all you maniacs who can't imagine WDW with faults, let me say this...

The negative stands out because there is so much positive. It's easy to remember the bad because it's such a stark contrast to the good.

Speaking of good. Epcot and AK have been phenomenal. Will update tonight.

Sans Souci

I love wdwmagic and have been visiting the website almost daily as my hubby and I have a trip coming up in May (celebrating one year anniversary :)) and it's great to see news and updates. A recent interest has been reading trip reports! Reading some of them makes me feel like I'm there and just adds to my excitement.

I want to note that until today, I was simply a wdw visitor and not member. But I signed up, literally 2 minutes ago, just to post on your trip report. Because OMG you're in Disney - the happiest place on earth - and it's all whine, whine, whine. Not even constructive criticism, just serious negativity. Why go to Disney if you're just gonna hate on everything? I second what the member above asks - are you having fun at all?!! :facepalm:

It's ironic that you only point the "negativity" in this TR while ignoring the positives he's written about. Maybe you're the one who likes to "whine, whine, whine?" Just a thought. :)

drizgirl

You signed up to complain about someone complaining? :cautious:

Kayla H.

Yikes.

I wish my thread didn't get moved. i initially had this is general discussion. Where a little negativity is normal. Down here in trip reports, not so much.

Sorry I picked on your favorite company. Maybe grow up and realize that not everything here is sun shine and giggles.

For all you maniacs who can't imagine WDW with faults, let me say this...

The negative stands out because there is so much positive. It's easy to remember the bad because it's such a stark contrast to the good.

Speaking of good. Epcot and AK have been phenomenal. Will update tonight.

Perhaps that is why it caught me off guard and was rather disappointing to read - I see many negative comments throughout general discussions but it's sad to see in trip reports. I feel like it's a place for tips and tricks (which I understand needs to encompass negatives i.e. advice on what to avoid) for those reading the reports and just feel as though this one is overwhelmingly negative. I just hope you are enjoying your "magical" vacation more than it seems.

p.s. never going to grow up - that's kinda what Disney is all about :)

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
untitled.png

Just getting ready for the MK entry

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
Alright. Day 5...

Epcot in the morning. This is where things really get on track.

Started with SE. All effects working, Rome burning, kiddo loved it.

Nemo looked awesome. All effects working. Fish projections were fantastic. The Seas was also great. Lots of CMs, feeding demonstration, good edutainment!

Turtle talk was great.

Now the best bit...

Flower and Garden was a perfect 10. The park looked beautiful. The booths were less intrusive then food and wine. The food was more varied and...

Eggstravaganza. I need to shake the hand of the person who came up with this. Landon LOVED it. We were able to visit every single country with a 3 year old. And he was enjoying it. We got to drink and eat, he got to explore, and we had a fantastic morning.

Also, the playgrounds they put in are genius. Give the kid a place to play, mommy and daddy a place to sit. 10 of 10...

Back to the hotel for a nap, then AK.

21stamps

Re: scooters-

When on the launch, Everyone has to stand on one side of the boat so they can get out. Once when we leaving MK there was maybe only 7 of us in line for the launch.

A cm came up and told the captain that he had 2 scooters wanting to board. The captain said "No". The cm then proceeded to tell the captain that he couldn't refuse them.. the captain said- "How do you want me to get them off the boat? I can't do it. They have to take the monorail."
the cm repeated "We can't say No. They specifically said that they want the boat instead of the monorail." The captain repeated "No. I can't do it."
The cm muttered something and walked away. The people on the scooter were angry.

It was odd witnessing the exchange, but I guess sometimes they just can't be accommodated due to logistics.

snek

Oh man I relate to so much of your trip report, especially the bus situations. I really think akl is one of the worst with buses. I know someone out there will have had no problem, but it felt like every bus besides AK just took forever to come. The rides themselves aren't long, but the buses don't come regularly. And DS buses always seem to take forever from any resort.

But wasn't that egg hunt awesome!? And difficult sometimes lol. The prize was kinda lame imo, but it was still really fun.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
Oh man I relate to so much of your trip report, especially the bus situations. I really think akl is one of the worst with buses. I know someone out there will have had no problem, but it felt like every bus besides AK just took forever to come. The rides themselves aren't long, but the buses don't come regularly. And DS buses always seem to take forever from any resort.

But wasn't that egg hunt awesome!? And difficult sometimes lol. The prize was kinda lame imo, but it was still really fun.

The prize was dopey. The joy was in the hunt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom