Live in/around/near Richmond, VA? I need Disney travel opinions!

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Hello all!

Ever hear of examiner.com? Well I am currently the Richmond Disney Travel Examiner and I'm in need of opinions on traveling to WDW from that area.

I was considering an article about road trips down The World and would like to get some input of what goes into planning your trip. Examples: Do you drive really early in the morning or the evening/overnight? Where do you stop on the way down?

Any opinions would be most helpful! :)

stratman50th

We're a little farther north than you, near Baltimore, and we drive every year. You can pick up at Richmond, or pass it on to any MD folks that care.
I stay away from the Washington beltway by coming down 301, crossing the Harry Nice bridge into King George, continuing after 301 turns into 207. We pick up 95 one exit north of Kings Dominion at exit 104.
We take the 295 bypass around Richmond/Petersburg, then just boring old 95 all the way down. We used to spend the night just off the interstate, exit 3 in Kingsland Georgia. There's a lot of really nice new hotels on JSJ Rd off of Rt 40. Hampton inn was always our choice. Over the last couple of years we've driven the extra hour and stayed with family in Jacksonville.
Now that's another bypass. Even when we were staying in Kingsland we still took the 9A bypass around Jacksonville. 9A east towards the beaches. It's a nice ride with a lot less traffic and picks up 95 again south of the city. Highly recommended!
Sleep in till we wake up the next morning and it's only about 2 1/2 hours to Disney. Rt 95 to Daytona then Rt4 to Disney!

We always leave Home on a Friday morning. I want to leave by 5:00am, but with two teenage girls, I'm lucky if we're pulling out by 7:00. It's around 12 hours or so to Jacksonville. My goal is to be in Whatever Disney Resort lobby we're staying at by around noon on Saturday. We always dress for the parks on the drive Saturday, but have a carry on type bag with bathing suits and towels within reach in case we decide to hit the resort pool instead of a park right away.

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Thanks very much for your input!

We've taken 295 around Richmond and also driven straight through on 95. I think it depends on the time of day you hit the area. I also forget that 207 drops you out night near Kings Dominion.

Thanks again! :wave:

stratman50th

Thanks very much for your input!

We've taken 295 around Richmond and also driven straight through on 95. I think it depends on the time of day you hit the area. I also forget that 207 drops you out night near Kings Dominion.

Thanks again! :wave:
Forgot to mention that we pack food for the trip so we don't have to stop anyplace except for gas and bathrooms.
Now that I re-read all this, day 1 looks pretty boring! :lol:

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Forgot to mention that we pack food for the trip so we don't have to stop anyplace except for gas and bathrooms.
Now that I re-read all this, day 1 looks pretty boring! :lol:

For me the first day is always boring, until we start seeing the crazy billboards in the Carolinas. :lol: We also try to limit our stops as well and bringing food definitely helps!

stratman50th

For me the first day is always boring, until we start seeing the crazy billboards in the Carolinas. :lol: We also try to limit our stops as well and bringing food definitely helps!
LOL! Yeah, the South of the border signs were a great diversion. Still are actually and they're refurbing them. That might be worth a mention. My daughter is 16 now and still gets a kick out of them. She even shoots photos on the fly and posts them on her Facebook page.
You've actually sent me back 40 years or so to my youth driving down. The free Orange juice at the Florida visitors center, Pecan Nut Rolls at Stuckey's. Indian River Fruit. Fireworks, and the Worlds Cheapest Cigarettes!
Cypress Gardens, The Parrot Jungle, The Glass Bottom Boats. Bumper stickers that would never come off, and my dad threatening to sue if there was one on his car when he came out! :D
Thanks for the memories! That might make a fun story for someone to do someday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom