Trip Report Live from the World - or close enough...

I guess I can't really claim that this is live from the parks, because I will posting from our room, but it's close enough!

We have just arrived this morning for a 12 night, 13 day visit to the World! After an exhaustive, but also quite fun, 24 hours of driving, stopping to rest and eat, meeting up with old friends, we found ourselves pulling into the parking lot of Bay Lake Tower at about 6:30am. If you want to know our full plans, check out the Pre-Trip Report: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/2-weeks-in-the-summer-heat-ptr.867381/

So, we got checking in at the Contemporary. We didn't get that amazing moment of luck when your room is already ready at 6:30am, but we never expect that to happen! So, a little after 7am we found ourselves walking up to Guest Services at Magic Kingdom to pick up our annual passes. We were lucky enough to score the Premium Annual Passes back at the beginning of the year when they offered the great DVC sale.

Anyway, APs in hand, we tapped to enter early and get to our 8:35am ADR for Crystal Palace. Took a few pictures around the hub (which will be posted later, computer is still working on communication with new camera). We checking in at CP and got seated at 8am - there's some luck working for us! An excellent breakfast and nice visits with Tigger, Piglet, Eeyore, and Pooh (again, pics to come). From our seats it looked like the opened the gates about 10 minutes early. We left the restaurant at about 9:15am and went back to Town Square for some Long Lost Friends - first we met with Dr. Facilier and Louis and then the Brer crew. DD9 didn't really want to wait in the lines for the Robin Hood or Chicken Little characters, so we headed back to Adventureland.

In Adventureland about 9:45am, we met with the Fairies, rode Pirates, did one of the new Pirates Adventures, rode Jungle Cruise (with FPs I had picked up while the girls were in line for the Fairies), visited the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki room (sing it, you know you want to!) and made a quick dash to Splash to pick up FPs for later. All of that added up to a little under 2 hours of touring, so we picked up some frozen drinks at Sunshine Terrace and a Mickey pretzel and sat for a few minutes in Frontierland and relaxed and ate.

It was about 12:15pm, so it was off to the mountains. As we went to enter Splash Mountain, we got FPs for Big Thunder (for 1pm). Splash was quite enjoyable - most of the animatronics were working great, but a few effects were not on (noticeably the jumping waters which did not jump over the ride). After that, we were going to meet Woody and Jessie, but the line was a bit long and we had just gotten a text that our room was ready, so we decided to do BTM and then head out for a little rest. Obviously the almighty lords of room check-in were pleased with us since the text came at 12:45pm and after BTM and a train ride to the front, we were in room getting that rest by 2pm.

The room is very nice - officially a standard view studio in Bay Lake Tower, but we do have a partial MK view which is excellent (although we may not be able to take advantage during this stay since we have fireworks plans for both nights already). DD watched "Secret of the Wings" and rested, while DW and I both slept for between half and hour and an hour. Now we are all cleaned up and changed and getting ready to head to 1900 Park Fare for our dinner reservations!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello from Day 3. Just after 4pm and the girls are both fast asleep for their afternoon naps. I have a feeling that the two pints of Carl's Combo at Rose and Crown might be helping DW to rest a bit!!

This morning after getting packed up, we loaded the car and headed into Magic Kingdom for (what we planned) a brief visit to Storybook Circus and then a ride on Space Mountain with FPs. What really happened was a bit different. First off, we got to the gates at 8:05am for 9am opening and it was already quite crowded. By 8:45, the entire area between the train station tunnels and the turnstiles (or do we now call them 'tapstiles'?) was full. Not just crowded, but full. And, not to encourage the running jokes on here, but I think a good 90% of the high school students of Brazil was there - at least 4 tour groups of 50-100 kids were waiting to get in. About 8:50am, as the opening show is just starting a CM wishes our DD a Happy Birthday. She, of course, responds with a polite "Thank you very much" and he responds with, "Come on over here." Well, paddy wagon driver Luis from University of Florida gave us a nice chauffeur drive back to the hub, well ahead of the crowd!

Here's the girls on the Paddy Wagon:

And here's DD with Luis:

What that meant was we could get on Space Mountain without fighting the crowd. So, DD and DW went right on as just about the first people to ride while I got FPs for a second ride later! Woo-hoo! After they got off, it was back to the Circus for some fun:

(and, yes, it was a bit sunny and in our eyes!)

Rode Dumbo, Barnstormer, had some breakfast (cinnamon bun and blueberry muffin from the food tent), then Meet and Greets with Daisy, Minnie, Goofy, and Donald. All with almost no waits at all. Then back over to Space Mountain to use our FPs. It was around 10:30am at this point, so we headed back out to go check in at Beach Club and head into Epcot.

Right at 11:30am, we were in the Rose and Crown pub and enjoying a pint. DD started a solo Perry adventure in UK, but there was a bit of a cloudburst and rather than continue in the downpour, she came in with us. We had lunch ADRs at 12pm, so enjoyed our lunch and then another pint with Carl in R&C before coming back to our (ready early again - thank you hotel management gods) room for their nap and my Trip Reporting. Tonight, back to Epcot! But first a momento of our visit to R&C - I'm sure @Crush Dude! will appreciate this:

In addition to us and the infamous Carl, that's his new trainee, Chantelle. Both were excellent in service and entertainment! See you tonight (or maybe tomorrow - depends on how we survive the Epcot EMH).

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Hello from Day 3. Just after 4pm and the girls are both fast asleep for their afternoon naps. I have a feeling that the two pints of Carl's Combo at Rose and Crown might be helping DW to rest a bit!!

This morning after getting packed up, we loaded the car and headed into Magic Kingdom for (what we planned) a brief visit to Storybook Circus and then a ride on Space Mountain with FPs. What really happened was a bit different. First off, we got to the gates at 8:05am for 9am opening and it was already quite crowded. By 8:45, the entire area between the train station tunnels and the turnstiles (or do we now call them 'tapstiles'?) was full. Not just crowded, but full. And, not to encourage the running jokes on here, but I think a good 90% of the high school students of Brazil was there - at least 4 tour groups of 50-100 kids were waiting to get in. About 8:50am, as the opening show is just starting a CM wishes our DD a Happy Birthday. She, of course, responds with a polite "Thank you very much" and he responds with, "Come on over here." Well, paddy wagon driver Luis from University of Florida gave us a nice chauffeur drive back to the hub, well ahead of the crowd!

Here's the girls on the Paddy Wagon:

And here's DD with Luis:

What that meant was we could get on Space Mountain without fighting the crowd. So, DD and DW went right on as just about the first people to ride while I got FPs for a second ride later! Woo-hoo! After they got off, it was back to the Circus for some fun:

(and, yes, it was a bit sunny and in our eyes!)

Rode Dumbo, Barnstormer, had some breakfast (cinnamon bun and blueberry muffin from the food tent), then Meet and Greets with Daisy, Minnie, Goofy, and Donald. All with almost no waits at all. Then back over to Space Mountain to use our FPs. It was around 10:30am at this point, so we headed back out to go check in at Beach Club and head into Epcot.

Right at 11:30am, we were in the Rose and Crown pub and enjoying a pint. DD started a solo Perry adventure in UK, but there was a bit of a cloudburst and rather than continue in the downpour, she came in with us. We had lunch ADRs at 12pm, so enjoyed our lunch and then another pint with Carl in R&C before coming back to our (ready early again - thank you hotel management gods) room for their nap and my Trip Reporting. Tonight, back to Epcot! But first a momento of our visit to R&C - I'm sure @Crush Dude! will appreciate this:

In addition to us and the infamous Carl, that's his new trainee, Chantelle. Both were excellent in service and entertainment! See you tonight (or maybe tomorrow - depends on how we survive the Epcot EMH).

Ah thanks for the mention! Lovin your trip so far and thats a great pic from the R&C :D

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
The not-so-briefest of updates from the evening of Day 3, in 3 parts, with 3 people in a clamshell.

Part 1 - So, I failed to mention that at R&C for our lunch, there was an issue with our Dining Plan. This has happened before when we have resort hopped. Our first DDP (which was deluxe and for 2 nights) got 'deactivated' when we checked into the new room and activated our second DDP. So, the waiter at R&C had to call the desk at Bay Lake Tower and verify that we had checked out and still had credits. No real problem, just a little annoyance (especially for the poor waiter). Well, being forward thinking to avoid the problem continuing, we checked with Concierge here at Beach Club and they went through a number of processes to try to get the credits on our new room keys. Suffice to say...it didn't work. At San Angel, they tried to charge the first DDP and it was 'deactivated' and the second DDP didn't have the deluxe credits. Far too long of a story short, we paid for our appetizers with our credit card and now concierge here at Beach Club has credited us back that money on our room and....blah, blah, blah. Bit of an annoyance, and it would seem to us that somebody somewhere needs to figure out the glitch in the computer system so that doesn't happen!

Part 2 - At the end of dinner we had planned to watch Illuminations and maybe do some EMH touring, but it was becoming obvious that DD was tired, so rather than sit for almost an hour to have a decent view, we went over to Future World and did a couple rides - Spaceship Earth (DD and DW did their car in Spanish!), Living Seas (believe it or not, they found Nemo), and Journey Into Imagination (yup, really). Here we are enjoying a clamshell (sorry for the iPhone picture quality!!)

Part 3 - Today officially marked the end of the birthday visit for DD, and she got a great gift tonight in the room just before bed. Some of you may be familiar with the issue of 'shark teeth' where kids get their adult teeth before losing their baby teeth. Well, DD has it - big time. One of her front baby teeth has been incredibly close to falling out for well over 6 months! We have tried all kinds of things to get it out, but to no avail. Well, tonight, as she was brushing her teeth - it just fell out! Lots of jumping up and down and excitement and, to my great shock, no concern that the elusive tooth found its way down the drain before capture.

Sorry for the extensive narrative and limited photos from tonight, but, hey, a little stream of consciousness at 10pm is what you came here to read anyway, right?

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I do NOT want to start the great Dining Plan debate, but I did want to share some numbers...

We did the Deluxe Plan for our first two nights which means we had 6 meals and 4 snacks per person. It cost $454 (no summer upcharge since we are DVC). We spread it over 3 days as shown below.

Day 1
Breakfast at Crystal Palace - $73
Lunch 3 snacks around MK - $12
Dinner at 1900 Park Fare - $107
Late night 2 snacks around MK - $6

Day 2
Late Breakfast at Chef Mickey's - $97
Snack in Epcot - $4
Dinner at Les Chefs de France - $134

Day 3
Breakfast 4 snacks in MK - $12
Lunch at Rose and Crown - $93
2 Snacks around Epcot - $6
Dinner at San Angel Inn - $103

Total - $640 - plus the $50 cost of the mugs, we get a total of $690. And we have enough leftovers for a lunch tomorrow or Thursday. I would say that was a quality value for us. Win.

Rest of the trip is on the regular DDP which will not net the same value (over $200 saved) and also will not net quite as full stomachs, but I will continue to track for those who enjoy numbers like I do.

MouseDreaming

@brifraz It looks like you are having a wonderful time. This is the second TR with problems with the dining credits after switching. We didn't have DP, but after we resort hopped, they were never able to link the credit card with the KTTW card. Hopefully, this all gets straightened out. As for our family, I think next time we will stick to just one resort.

Shark teeth. I can relate. Thank goodness it came out! DS used to swear by Snickers bars to get the wiggler out. Hasn't worked for DD, though.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Great morning at Blizzard Beach! We arrived at the gate right around 8:30am and while the crowd was a decent size, it wasn't unmanageable. There was one large tour group already waiting (and at least 2 more arrived while we were there). Our plan was just to do the attractions and get out somewhat early, so right at 9am we went in a got a locker for our towels, passes, phones, etc. Then, with nothing to weigh us down we headed up the mountain. We basically followed a touring plan that had been outlined on here by @ParentsOf4 and managed to do everything we wanted in short order: Teamboat Springs, Runoff Rapids (all three), Snow Stormers, Toboggan Racers, Cross Country Creek, Ski Patrol Training Camp, and then some time in Melt Away Bay.

We were planning to do WinterSummerland mini-golf when we exited, but a cloudburst hit and based on the weather map it looked like they would be hit or miss all afternoon, so we came back to the room to eat some of our leftovers and are out the door to DTD and DisneyQuest now!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Today has been one of the best no-parks days that I can remember. Much to the chagrin of the weather men, there really was no more rain today, but that is immaterial. So, we found ourselves at DisneyQuest a little before noon. First task was CyberSpaceMountain, something that has been on DDs list for quite some time and did not disappoint, although the line was a bit rough (20 min).

Then we spent quite a bit of time reliving our youths much to the entertainment of DD - lots of PacMan, Space Invaders, Centipede, and pinball machines. Found a Pac-man Battle machine and had a lot of fun eating each other on that. After about an hour and half, we decided that we were about done with this DQ visit (DD really wants to go back again during this trip, so it isn't the last we've seen of it) and were just going to do some DTD wandering. But...Splitsville beckoned. And, as semi-regular bowlers (maybe once every 2 weeks in the summer and once a month during the school year, DDs last birthday party was a bowling party) we heard the call. It was quite nice to see the variety of balls (both weight and finger size) they had. And, while a little pricey, it wasn't as far out of line as we thought it would be. In our hour we got in 2 and a half games, which back home would have been about $11 each, so $15 seemed about right for Disney upcharging.

And we couldn't resist having an adult beverage whilst there - as mainly beer drinkers, this was a little out of our usual territory, but quite enjoyable.

After bowling, we grabbed some dinner at Wolfgang Puck Express (the best deal on property for the Dining Plan - $70 worth of food for 3 counter credits, yowza!) which will actually feed us almost two full meals (half a pizza and a good bit of mac and cheese leftover in the fridge). Now we are doing a little resting and will head to the beach - guess that is why it is called the Beach Club - at 7:30pm for the bonfire and marshmellows, then maybe into Epcot for Illuminations.

G8rchamps

Really enjoying following your trip. My kids had to drag me off the top floor of DQ where all the "old" games are. 9 days till annual passes and our first weekend trip - you are keeping me somewhat sane until I get there. Hope the bonfire and fireworks went well!

coachwnh

A fun read so far!!! I totally understand how your wife and daughter are tired by mid-afternoon. WDW can do that to the best of them!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
FIghting off sleep, but I can't leave you all without an update!

Bonfire was quite nice. It is good to see things like that which are just done right. Bonfire for kids and parents. Free marshmallows to roast. Cast members taking part with the guests. Just good stuff.

And then there is Illuminations. My favorite of the night shows at Disney. Some of the best music anywhere on property in my opinion. Loving the new camera - if only it worked more than 50% of the time. But once I'm done cursing and tantruming, things like this come out. Can't wait to get home and do some editing on this one!

coachwnh

Our daughter is somehow 'never' tired. We have to force her to rest. Then it is almost impossible to wake her up and get her going again!
LOL. Our kids say the same thing. "Im not tired" Then they are asleep in our laps on the bus back to the resort!!!!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
LOL. Our kids say the same thing. "Im not tired" Then they are asleep in our laps on the bus back to the resort!!!!

Tonight on the walk back, she got what was perhaps her last ride ever on Dad's shoulders. 66lbs is just a bit much. I'll be paying for that tomorrow!!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
And now we return to our ongoing saga....As the Cloud Bursts.

Well, it is another early day downpour here at the Beach Club (1pm). 2nd one of the day as the first was at about 6:45am, right as we were heading down to catch the bus to Magic Kingdom EMH. No worries, though!

Got to MK on the bus around 7:40am and found ourselves somewhat close to the front for rope drop. We were planning a rather odd mix this morning and it went off without a hitch. Started with Peter Pan - we were the first on the ride, then back to Little Mermaid. Time to divide and conquer and DW went to the Main St. Bakery to get some breakfast for us all while DD and I went to Astro Orbiter - it was actually the first time either of us have ridden it!

(sorry for the poor focus on that one, forgot that I was on manual focus from last night's fireworks!)

We met back up in as the first people in line at Merida and enjoyed our breakfast while we waited amid a few raindrops.

After Merida it was back down Main Street to the Barbershop for DD to get a haircut. She is 9 and a half and has never had a haircut anywhere but at Disney! After last year's 8 inches cut off and donated, this time she was going for another big change - bangs. Once the haircut was done, we headed back to the hub to watch "Dream Along with Mickey." DD stopped along the way for a 10:15am frozen treat. There is a long saga to the Itzakadoozie in our family. On one of DDs early trips, during the Year of a Million Small Prizes promotion, she got a free Itzakadoozie from a vendor outside Test Track, 'courtesy of Mickey.' Which, of course, meant it became her favorite frozen treat. Sadly, they are not available anywhere near our home, so Disney was the only time she got one. Then...a few years ago...they disappeared. Tears were shed. We scoured the web to find them, but to no avail. Then last year they returned - albeit with a new design and different flavor. But the name was there, so it is still a big deal for her.

After the show, we headed out of the park to come back to the resort and enjoy the pool and all it has to offer. Quick side note - the bus system still leaves something to be desired, we waited almost half an hour for a bus at MK and watched at least 2 for every other resort go by and 5 for OKW plus there were 10 sitting in the loop 'resting.' Now that we have eaten some lunch and started the process of packing for tomorrow's move, it looks like the clouds are beginning to part and we are headed to the pool.

eeyoremum

I do NOT want to start the great Dining Plan debate, but I did want to share some numbers...

We did the Deluxe Plan for our first two nights which means we had 6 meals and 4 snacks per person. It cost $454 (no summer upcharge since we are DVC). We spread it over 3 days as shown below.

Day 1
Breakfast at Crystal Palace - $73
Lunch 3 snacks around MK - $12
Dinner at 1900 Park Fare - $107
Late night 2 snacks around MK - $6

Day 2
Late Breakfast at Chef Mickey's - $97
Snack in Epcot - $4
Dinner at Les Chefs de France - $134

Day 3
Breakfast 4 snacks in MK - $12
Lunch at Rose and Crown - $93
2 Snacks around Epcot - $6
Dinner at San Angel Inn - $103

Total - $640 - plus the $50 cost of the mugs, we get a total of $690. And we have enough leftovers for a lunch tomorrow or Thursday. I would say that was a quality value for us. Win.

Rest of the trip is on the regular DDP which will not net the same value (over $200 saved) and also will not net quite as full stomachs, but I will continue to track for those who enjoy numbers like I do.

I am interested in your numbers. We have used the dinning plan in the past, paid and free, but have been I have been questioning if it actually saved money. We are a family of 4 all being "adults" in the eyes of Disney.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, after some time swimming and enjoying all that Stormalong Bay has to offer, we got set and caught the boat to Studios for dinner and Fantasmic!

Arrived around 5pm and found that Tower of Terror FPs for 8pm were available, so we grabbed those and then went to MuppetVision 3D. It is one of my favorite attractions in all of Disney and didn't fail to disappoint. Also, very happy to see the smoke in the explosions at the end was working - haven't seen that work in ages. Then it was over to Mama Melrose for some dinner. I know it gets a bit of a bad rap on these boards, but we always are very happy with the food we get there. After dinner, we walked to the front of the hat and DD and DW took part in some of the Monsters University Pep Rally. Then it was over to ToT for our ride. Fun as always! Then into Fantasmic. It is great (for us) that they have moved the dinner package seating to the front and center as we had a great view of the show.

This new camera is amazing when it works. More on that in a little bit.

After Fantasmic, we walked our way back to the Beach Club and got to sleep pretty quickly.

This morning it was an early wake-up and over to Epcot for EMH and then breakfast with the Princesses at Akershus. DD was dressed in her 'provincial' Belle dress which DW made last trip. Upon park entry, we headed to Test Track and picked up FPs for 9am and rode it immediately. This has been a priority for DD as one of the 'new' rides on this visit. On our first ride, the audio in the car did not work, but the ride still got rave reviews from DD. She really enjoyed designing her own car and then comparing it's performance. By the time we got out, it was almost time to get back on with the FPs, and the cast member at the FP entrance was nice enough to let us in 10 min before our time (uh-oh, better call the Disney cops on us). On the second ride, we had the car audio which made quite a difference in the experience. Upon review, DD and DW have both decided they liked the original a little better. I'm more on the fence because I am a big fan of the original Tron and the new lighting definitely gives that impression.

Then it was over to Akershus for breakfast and then back to France to meet with DDs twin Belle. This was a high priority for this trip as last trip (when the costume was made) we somehow missed Belle in France a couple times.

Then it was time to resort hop our way over to Old Key West, where we will be for the rest of the stay. Got all checked in (and made sure to verify that our dining credits did NOT get 'deactivated' before we could use them tonight! The girls spent a little while at the pool and I spent a long while on the phone and now we are getting ready to head to DTD for dinner at Wolfgang Puck Cafe and maybe some shopping or maybe another DQ visit.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Now, here's the camera rant. Feel free to skip the rest if you want. The fun trip report will be back in the next post...

So, I mentioned earlier that I am having some issues with our new camera. Nikon D5200. Shutter doesn't close properly. Just bought it a couple weeks ago specifically for this trip. The problem had cropped up a couple times at home, but since it wasn't getting used a lot, we didn't realize how bad it was. For these past few days, it has worked between 40% and 60% of the time. Well, as of this morning, it was at 0%. That cool dragon from Fantasmic! picture above was it's final success. Since we had some time this afternoon (and were AGAIN in our room early), DW suggested that I call about it. Well, after an hour and half on the phone with 47th Street Photo, Nikon, and then 47th Street Photo, it turns out that there is really no way to fix it, we'll have to get it replaced. Well, nobody can do that here at Disney, so it will have to wait until we get home. But, I need a real camera - I don't know that I can survive a week at Disney with just an iPhone camera. So, I told them I was going to return it for a refund since arrived to us broken and cannot be fixed and I'm going to buy a new camera tomorrow. Well, they didn't like that and began coming up with reasons that we can't do that. Including (and I can't believe this one) - since you registered your camera with Nikon, it cannot be returned for a problem. So, what?!?? You are telling me that when I got my new camera I shouldn't have registered it????? Anyway, there was some yelling and I'm sure my blood pressure right about now is not in the healthy category. In the end, they said I could return it, but I fully suspect that there will be more to this story when I do that upon our return home. Tomorrow or Sunday I am going to be out and about in the Orlando area looking for a new camera.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom