Live-Action Hunchback

BrianLo

This is one of those movies where the potential behind the music is so great (fortunately it's a musical), but there are some pretty low hanging fruit flaws (the gargoyles) that could make this a far better remake than the original.

I approve and am glad they've finally embraced this one.

Magenta Panther

This is one of those movies where the potential behind the music is so great (fortunately it's a musical), but there are some pretty low hanging fruit flaws (the gargoyles) that could make this a far better remake than the original.

I approve and am glad they've finally embraced this one.

If they use the gargoyle characters, I hope they're given legs this time...it really bugged me that they had no legs - or lower torsos - in the animated version, yet they were somehow able to move around. Ick.

What I'd love to see is an adaptation of the stage version, which debuted in Germany but never had a Broadway run in its English translation. (I saw it last year at a local community theater, and the production was great.) This is much closer to the original book (sadder ending and all), with some elements from the original movie, and extra songs (including at least one that was going to be in the original but was cut). They also added some wrinkles of their own...this version restored Jehan, Claude Frollo's feckless brother, but made Quasimodo his son by a gypsy woman. Jehan's gypsy wife died in childbirth and Jehan was stricken with the plague, charging Claude with his nephew's care on his deathbead. There was some extra depth to Frollo's character...he blamed the gypsies for leading his brother astray, which fueled his hatred for them, but it was his own decision (Claude's back to being the archdeacon here) to spare Quasi. He masks his desire for Esmeralda in a desire to "save her soul". And in this Disney stage musical...there's a brothel and an attempted rape. Much more adult and complex than most of Disney's stage shows, even for an adaptation of an animated movie that was more complex and adult than their usual fare.

Phoebus himself is given far more depth as well...he's just returned from the front lines of a war, and some of his lines in his introductory song "Rest and Recreation" indicate that his experiences have taken their toll on him. Unlike in the book, however, he genuinely loves Esmeralda and is not just using her.

And Quasi himself? His deafness is restored, and his speech patterns reflect that whenever he's talking to Frollo or anyone from the outside world. But when he speaks to his "friends", the statuary of the cathedral (there are gargoyles as well as statues of saints and such, and they're NOT played for wacky comedy), he speaks normally. Furthermore, this version does something I wish the movie had done...makes it clear that the statues are Quasi's "imaginary friends" and that their conversations happen only in Quasi's mind. Hence, the difference in speech patterns.

And if anything, the score's even better than in the movie version (which was, itself, one of the best Disney scores, and possibly the last of the really great Alan Menken Disney scores.)

So if they adapt this for live-action, they could do a lot worse than to adapt the stage version (especially since it didn't get a large-scale American production in the form of a Broadway run).

Have a look at the Paper Mill Playhouse production.

Last edited:

Robbiem

What I'd love to see is an adaptation of the stage version, which debuted in Germany but never had a Broadway run in its English translation. (I saw it last year at a local community theater, and the production was great.) This is much closer to the original book (sadder ending and all), with some elements from the original movie, and extra songs (including at least one that was going to be in the original but was cut). They also added some wrinkles of their own...this version restored Jehan, Claude Frollo's feckless brother, but made Quasimodo his son by a gypsy woman. Jehan's gypsy wife died in childbirth and Jehan was stricken with the plague, charging Claude with his nephew's care on his deathbead. There was some extra depth to Frollo's character...he blamed the gypsies for leading his brother astray, which fueled his hatred for them, but it was his own decision (Claude's back to being the archdeacon here) to spare Quasi. He masks his desire for Esmeralda in a desire to "save her soul". And in this Disney stage musical...there's a brothel and an attempted rape. Much more adult and complex than most of Disney's stage shows, even for an adaptation of an animated movie that was more complex and adult than their usual fare.

Phoebus himself is given far more depth as well...he's just returned from the front lines of a war, and some of his lines in his introductory song "Rest and Recreation" indicate that his experiences have taken their toll on him. Unlike in the book, however, he genuinely loves Esmeralda and is not just using her.

And Quasi himself? His deafness is restored, and his speech patterns reflect that whenever he's talking to Frollo or anyone from the outside world. But when he speaks to his "friends", the statuary of the cathedral (there are gargoyles as well as statues of saints and such, and they're NOT played for wacky comedy), he speaks normally. Furthermore, this version does something I wish the movie had done...makes it clear that the statues are Quasi's "imaginary friends" and that their conversations happen only in Quasi's mind. Hence, the difference in speech patterns.

And if anything, the score's even better than in the movie version (which was, itself, one of the best Disney scores, and possibly the last of the really great Alan Menken Disney scores.)

So if they adapt this for live-action, they could do a lot worse than to adapt the stage version (especially since it didn't get a large-scale American production in the form of a Broadway run).

I would love to see the stage version of Hunchback one day.

It would be great if Disney took a more adult approach and made a different kind of remake along the lines of les miserables or phantom but using the Menkin and Swartz score, maybe it’s something they could do under the 20th century banner?

Princess Leia

The show has some flaws (so much narration) but in the end, I don’t care. I absolutely adore this show. One of the community theaters had planned to produce it last fall and I was so excited to audition. Unfortunately, Covid happened.

‘Made of Stone’ is high on my list for favorite musical songs. It is tragic but beautiful. The other song I end up getting in my head is the Tavern Song. It’s so far the first and only time I have heard a song in Romani, which makes it pretty unique.

Also, for all of you who want ‘Guy Like You’ to be cut... this show did exactly that.

Ghost93

Alan Menken seems to hint there are struggles with Disney adapting the story's darker elements: https://theblast.com/487647/alan-menken-talks-potential-live-action-hunchback-of-notre-dame/

"When speaking to ComicBook about the upcoming “The Little Mermaid” live-action, the potential “Hunchback of Notre Dame,” movie was brought up, to which Menken said he has “no idea” if it will happen.

“It’s a tough one because the Hunchback movie, Hunchback story involves a lot of real, real issues that are important issues and should be explored to be discussed,” he said. “And there has to be an agreement about dealing with those issues.

“You know, do we do a Hunchback without ‘Hellfire?’ I don’t think so … So it sits in this limbo right now, but the Hercules movie is underway, and I got some inklings of what’s going on, but just some, and I’ve been more involved with the Broadway show off of Hercules, which is coming, and it’s fascinating.”

I think if they just make the live-action Hunchback of Notre Dame a PG-13 movie, there should be no issue. If Disney can get away with Hellfire in a G-rated movie and survive the controversy, they can certainly get away with it being in a PG-13 movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom