Lion King Show Changes Question

tonypitt

Original Poster
Went to see FoLK today at AK. Haven't seen a crowd like the one today there for quite a while.

It has been a few months since I last saw this, and I noticed one big change I was curious about. At the end of the show all the other times I had seen it before, they left the "animal floats" out as the audience was leaving.

Today, though, the show ended and the announcer asked everyone to remain seated while they (paraphrase) "put everything away." We sat there for 3-5 minutes while they moved the floats and the main center stage back to their starting position.

It seemed like this could have been done much smoother (kind of like the bringing of them in at the beginning) and I wondered if this was a recent change that they hadn't had time to incorporate into the show better.

Anyone know?

I also thought it odd that the "twirler" seemed much less used in the show today. He came out and did the fire twirl, but very little before then. In the shows I'd seen before, he came out initially with the "knife sticks" and then transitioned to the fire. Today, though, the knife sticks were only used for about 30 seconds at the very end of the show, and he didn't really twirl them. He just walked around with them acting menacing.

Is this a show change or just something that varies by performer/performance?

The tumble monkeys today were the best we had seen in a while. The last show we had seen the monkey couldn't reach the high center swing , but today's group was great.

Chape19714

The biggest change since opening has been the new lighting design and an inclosed theatre. Putting the floats back before releasing the audience is actually pretty common. The twirler comes out for the fire during be prepared and the finale only, other than that, he is just a preformer and wears a vest, although he still looks like the same animal. I don't belive that has ever been changed. The soundtrack sure hasn't.

Computer Magic

I'm not a local resident, but the times I've been there the floats have been left out. If they need to remove them from the floor for safety reasons, they should incorporate returning the floats as part of the show. To end the show then move the floats back, seems more of a safety risk as people don't listen.

speck76

I have never seen them put the floats away while the audiance was still there....perhaps they had a tight turnaround for the next show

tonypitt

Original Poster
It wouldn't have been turnaround time for the show I was there. I was at the 3 p.m. show and the next one was at 5 p.m.

Also, the request for the audience to wait until the staging was cleared was a pre-recorded voice that was part of the soundtrack. It could be an alternate soundtrack from the one they normally use, but it definitely wasn't something spur of the moment.

Oh, and the safety factor at the end with the float moving as noted above is a legitimate concern. People that had seen the show before were already getting up and heading down the stairs when the voice came up asking people to remain seated. The "counselors" in each section were having to stop people from trying to leave.

Lastly, I thought it odd that it seemed that only 3 people from the stage crew came out to do the clearing. That's why it took so long as they put away each float individually, and no one started on the next float until the current one was totally stowed. It didn't seem to be happening very expeditiously.

Chape19714

I am not entirely sure, but if the theatre is packed, like you said, then the floats are put away 1st, to speed up the unloading process. It also allows both sets of doors to be used, not just one set.

peter11435

Mecha Figment said:
you are correct Chape.
Yes he is. It is a common practice over at FOLK. They do it when they are very busy as well as when there is a problem with one of the units that they want more time to check out before the next show. There is no safety hazard as all of the CM are still in place to make sure guests remain seated. I have seen it done tons of times and have never seen a guest get up and attempt to exit.

Chape19714

Thanks for the verification. It's only the show veterans that even think to get up and leave, everyone else just naturally waits for further instruction.

Computer Magic

Chape19714 said:
Thanks for the verification. It's only the show veterans that even think to get up and leave, everyone else just naturally waits for further instruction.
exactly, this is why FOLK needs to stick to a standard. I can only imagine people giving the poor CM's a hard time.

If they want to move the floats, they should always do it and incorporate the move into the show....

peter11435

Computer Magic said:
exactly, this is why FOLK needs to stick to a standard. I can only imagine people giving the poor CM's a hard time.

If they want to move the floats, they should always do it and incorporate the move into the show....
Its really not a problem. They do it often and have for years, it is nothing new. Its never caused a problem and people do not give the CM's a hard time about this. Trust me.

Computer Magic

peter11435 said:
Its really not a problem. They do it often and have for years, it is nothing new. Its never caused a problem and people do not give the CM's a hard time about this. Trust me.
Is the reason you don't incorporate into this show because the floats can't drive backwards? You need the CM's to help navigate the floats backstage

peter11435

Computer Magic said:
Is the reason you don't incorporate into this show because the floats can't drive backwards? You need the CM's to help navigate the floats backstage
The floats are all guided by rails in the ground. However CM's have to use a device connected to each unit to start and stop them. When they are brought out during the show this is done by some of the performers who appear to be simply walking beside the units. When they are brought back in it is done entirely by techs because all performers have already left the stage.

Computer Magic

It just seems to make more sense to have the performers walk the floats out as they leave. That way the floats are always out of the way and kids aren't tempted to play on it.

Chape19714

That wouldn't work because the center stage has to be dissambled, which can only be done by the stage crew. Once that is clear, then the floats can be moved back in. Keep in mind, the cast only has 30 mins to get ready to do it again, and they need a break. Besides, it's bad show to bring out an actor who has already taken a bow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom