Line jumpers

Phroobar

Original Poster
One of the biggest problems facing Disneyland is line jumping and cast members never do anything about it. I'm routinely passed by huge groups of people while I wait an hour for Space Mountain. Guests have to put up a fight to keep others from line jumping in order to get a cast member to do anything. I don't think anyone has every gotten thrown out of Disneyland for line jumping. Now at Magic Mountain that is a different case. They will actually do something about line jumpers. They even hand out numbered tickets when you enter the line. If your out of sequence, you wait until it catches up to you.

Who cares about banning straws or merchandise scalpers? It's the line jumpers that make stand by lines even worst than the posted times. I've seen people line jump in the fast pass lines too. Disney should ban the AP holders that make a living standing in line for large groups so they can line jump to that person.

G00fyDad

If everyone stopped letting people get away with it then it would not happen. Unfortunately there are people that just don't care about it and let it happen. Because of that the line jumpers keep doing it because they know people aren't going to say anything about it. I refuse to move and I block the walkway.

Texas84

Do you mean true line jumpers or guests that leave the line to get food, whatever, then jump back in to get to their party that is still there? The former (seen at DLR) makes me angry, the latter just annoys me. Unless it's a young parent and their little one. Obvious what's going on there.

shambolicdefending

I don't think anybody minds if it's a parent with a young kid or two. I also doubt most people care if it's one person that ducks into the line a couple of minutes after the others in their group, or runs to grab a drink and comes right back.

So what are the CMs supposed to do? I doubt they have the bandwidth or energy to try to sort it all out on top of everything else they're doing.

oo_nrb

If the party in front of you was always going to be 8 people, even if there's only one person directly standing in front of you, then you have lost no time when the other 7 rejoin. It's as if they were all there regardless. If you do lose time, then it is maybe one dispatch of a ride vehicle. As long as someone in the party is waiting in some fashion, then why get bent out of shape over other people trying to maximize the rest of their Disneyland day?

BasiltheBatLord

I don't think I've ever actually seen people genuinely cutting in line. You do of course see split up parties jumping up to each other in line though, annoying that they think it's appropriate to do that, but honestly if I was in the same situation I'd feel the same way so I dunno how mad I can get about that.

Phroobar

Original Poster
It would be different if you got in the middle of a group entering the line but if you've been in line for a half hour and ten people shuffle pass you and farther up in line then there is a big problem. Cast members are completely worthless enforcing line jumping rules. It's just a constant thing now.

TwilightZone

I don't think I've ever actually seen people genuinely cutting in line. You do of course see split up parties jumping up to each other in line though, annoying that they think it's appropriate to do that, but honestly if I was in the same situation I'd feel the same way so I dunno how mad I can get about that.
Same I never seen any line jumpers at any of my trips. Only party jumpers, and even that's rare. Heck sometimes my family party jumps, I don't care about it.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Same I never seen any line jumpers at any of my trips. Only party jumpers, and even that's rare. Heck sometimes my family party jumps, I don't care about it.
What is the difference between line jumpers and party jumpers? It still have a lot of people disrespecting you and making you wait longer. Why is it ok if a party of jumpers move in front of you?

Darkbeer1

Line Jumping bothers enough people at Theme/Amusements parks that multiple cities have passed laws against it. So that allows parks to call the police, and have trespass noticed read to them, and if they try again, actual civil penalties.

As pointed out, Six Flags actively looks for them, and uses methods, such as the number ticketing to prevent it.

http://law.onecle.com/blog/2015/03/01/california-penal-code-section-490-6/

TwilightZone

What is the difference between line jumpers and party jumpers? It still have a lot of people disrespecting you and making you wait longer. Why is it ok if a party of jumpers move in front of you?
A line jumper is one person by themselves.
A party jumper is a person who is with a family and has to go to pee and has the family wait there for them.
That's the difference.

Phroobar

Original Poster
A line jumper is one person by themselves.
A party jumper is a person who is with a family and has to go to pee and has the family wait there for them.
That's the difference.
Except when the whole family leaves one person in line and expects to rejoin them when that person gets to end. Not cool. You always see huge groups swimming through the line but never exiting the line.

Darkbeer1

Agreed, while the rulesstate when a person leaves the line, they give up their space, even when others in their group leaves. Most folks understand a young one with a guardian going to the restroom and coming back. And why the Six Flags numbering works, you return to the space you started with.

But sending one person early, that is just plain wrong. The rules state that the entire group must be present to enter the queue.

oo_nrb

Line Jumping bothers enough people at Theme/Amusements parks that multiple cities have passed laws against it. So that allows parks to call the police, and have trespass noticed read to them, and if they try again, actual civil penalties.

As pointed out, Six Flags actively looks for them, and uses methods, such as the number ticketing to prevent it.

http://law.onecle.com/blog/2015/03/01/california-penal-code-section-490-6/

That portion of the California Penal Code doesn't strictly deal with line-jumping. It simply states that an amusement park employee may detain a person they have reason to believe violated rules, and gives the employee the power to state what the rules are and the expectation that they are followed:

Text of CA Penal Code § 490.6 (2017):
(a) A person employed by an amusement park may detain a person for a reasonable time for the purpose of conducting an investigation in a reasonable manner whenever the person employed by the amusement park has probable cause to believe the person to be detained is violating lawful amusement park rules.

(b) If any person admitted to an amusement park refuses or fails to follow lawful amusement park rules, after being so informed, then an amusement park employee may request that the person either comply or leave the premises. If the person refuses to leave the premises or comply with lawful park rules, then the person shall be deemed to be intentionally interfering with and obstructing those attempting to carry on a lawful business within the meaning of Section 602.1.

(c) In any civil action brought by any person resulting from a detention or an arrest by a person employed by an amusement park, it shall be a defense to that action that the amusement park employee detaining or arresting the person had probable cause to believe that the person was not following lawful amusement park rules and that the amusement park employee acted reasonably under all the circumstances.
Knott's has a strict rule against what they call "line-jumping", and since it is in the park rules, they are allowed to enforce Code 490.6 in that regard. Disney, on the other hand, has no such rules about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom