Limited edition magic bands?

Invader_Zim

Original Poster
So I am new here, (1st post). I have a rant/question. I am taking issue with these new limited edition magic bands first the Star Wars weekends ones (vader, yoda) now the chillin in summer Olaf ones, why do they make the system so complicated. Meaning you cannot just simply buy them from merchandising or purchase them second hand because they link them right away an once they are linked they cannot be transferred to another person. This makes them extremely difficult to get if you don't happen to be there the weekend that they release them, you are basically out of luck this process needs to be addressed I am a dvc member and a passholder, most items you can obtain through merchandising if you don't happen to be there when they release, but was informed today that due to the way the magic band system is set up, you have to buy the in person. How is that fair for everyone? I refuse to spend 60-70 dollars on ebay to buy one that I cannot reactivate. Has anybody else had any issues getting these? Or know away around it? Sorry about the long winded rant.[COUNTDOWN=]2014/14/08 06:00[/COUNTDOWN]

ninjaprincesst

My daughter is also super frustrated because all the bands that she might want are getting released now and or next trip is not until November. I don't understand why you can't just purchase them on line and activate them by entering the serial number in your MDE account

epcotisbest

Limited editions are simply a marketing strategy businesses use to create excitement and demand for the brand. It is a promotional tool that boosts brand image, creates a short term sales boost and directly stimulates consumers to spend.

Rob562

My daughter is also super frustrated because all the bands that she might want are getting released now and or next trip is not until November. I don't understand why you can't just purchase them on line and activate them by entering the serial number in your MDE account

Since the functionality for linking a purchased Magic Band exists in the MDE app and website, I'd presume that they'll offer sales of not-yet-linked Bands at SOME point in the future, just not yet. They'd just have to implement some kind of a "purchased but not linked" status on the Band, otherwise you'd have people just stealing them from the stores and linking them.

-Rob

lazyboy97o

For those not staying at Walt Disney World, the MagicBand is nothing more than a glorified ticket. Selling them without tickets just opens up more hassles and cuts Disney out of the money from people who really want to buy them. I would not be surprised to see upgrade options for on-site stays in the future if you're stay aligns with the right event.

Invader_Zim

Original Poster
I got a call back from a lady in merchandising this morning, basically what she told me was that the whole magic band system is still in beta an that they are learning and adding things to it each day. She did day that the ability to as she called it prebuy magic bands is something that they are working on, but they are still trying to sort out the issues with and to make it easy for guests an for cast members. She also told me that the yoda band was still readily available at Hollywood studios ( disney & co. Also at the photo place when you head right into,the park). She also said the they (disney) expect to the summer olaf band to readily available for awhile. When asked if it was because of the price she said she didn't know, just that there were a lot in the warehouse.

WDWRLD

You basically answered you own question when you mentioned eBay. The whole reason Disney is making you link them to ticket media at the time of purchase is because of the people that go and buy as many as they can and list them on eBay for 10 times the face value. Look at any Disney event with merch....5 minutes after its open there are those items listed on eBay. Last summer at the D23 Expo we went straight to the Dream Store as soon as the Expo opened. We saw people there that were buying the limits of everything there. We looked on eBay and they had already listed them, the photos had the Expo carpeting in the background. Its to protect those that do go to the events.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Yeah. I don't have a problem with it. I'm not entitlesd to every single thing I want. If I want one bad enough I'll go. If I can't go for some reason then that's the breaks. Besides, disappointment builds character.
You obviously didn't get the memo that you are supposed to think you are entitled to everything because you draw in oxygen and exhale greenhouse gasses.

eeyoremum

Sorry, I don't see the draw to purchase something they give you for "free". Personally I like the technology but hated wearing the band. We were there in October so not oppressively hot in found the band made my wrists hot and sweaty (yuck). Also, I don't like jewelry at all so wearing the band just annoys me.

Invader_Zim

Original Poster
I never said that I I believed I was ENTITLED to them, just saying I wish they made the process easier, to get ones that I don't mind paying for. Because before some start name calling maybe the ones that I am trying to get have meaning to myself or a small child. No one said you and to buy them. So why do we have to judge those that do what to?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom