'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

NateD1226

Original Poster
1607649924279.png

"Blasting into theaters June 17, 2022, Lightyear is the definitive story of the original Buzz Lightyear. Voiced by Chris Evans, get ready to go to “infinity and beyond” with Lightyear."

Fox&Hound

Hmmmm. I love Buzz so much so this could be good. You know they won't ever stop making Toy Story films. But part of me is holding out hope hope they will make a Toy Story 5 and clear up the crap ending that was TS4. You don't separate Buzz and Woody! And Woody doesn't leave his owner. Don't get me started. Still so angry about that one...

BrianLo

I definitely went from being a bit initially off-put to now fairly intrigued.

This takes the video-game sequence from TS2 almost a step forward (which was still just articulated toy-version of Buzz).

Kind of like if our only touchpoint on Star Wars for two decades was Lego Star Wars... then they gave us the live action original after the fact. It makes sense to use a different voice actor.

This could be fairly unique, without retreading Toy Story for the millionth time. It's an interesting expansion of that universe that maybe would have been a better choice instead of TS4 (which I did actually like).

Screamface

So what exactly is this? Is this just a sci-fi film based on a version of Buzz which isn't a toy? Who the character thinks he is? Or in Toy Story universe will the toy of been based on a real character?

Also, it just won't be Buzz without Tim Allen voicing.

Robbiem

I’m confused as well. In Toy Story Buzz is a sci fi hero character in toy story like flash gordon or buck rogers, it’s obvious that he is fictional in that world fighting emperor zurg who turns out to be his father ala Luke Skywalker. The new movie looks more like the right stuff with buzz as a real life hero more like John Glenn or neil Armstrong

Either way I’m looking forward to this, its a better move than toy story 5

champdisney

I’m confused as well. In Toy Story Buzz is a sci fi hero character in toy story like flash gordon or buck rogers, it’s obvious that he is fictional in that world fighting emperor zurg who turns out to be his father ala Luke Skywalker. The new movie looks more like the right stuff with buzz as a real life hero more like John Glenn or neil Armstrong

I don’t think Zurg is Buzz’s father. I think that was a small gag Pixar put together to playfully spoof Star Wars. It was done in good taste and being that it was a spoof, I don’t think Pixar was serious behind that reveal. I get it, for years I believed Buzz Lightyear and Zurg were father and son.

When I saw TS2 in theaters at eight years old, I laughed hysterically at that silly reveal. I obviously knew it was a page ripped from Star Wars and I found that to be really cool. Now at twenty-nine, I’m looking at it as “yeah okay... I don’t think this was made to be a literal fact”.

I also didn’t see that further explored in the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command animated series. I could be wrong... speaking of that animated series, I wonder where that falls into when it comes to this upcoming film.

doctornick

I take it more like Lightyear is a movie about a fictional space character. The Buzz figure we all know is a toy based on that movie.

so basically “Lightyear” is like the movie “Star Wars” while Tim Allen’s Buzz is the equivalent of the Kenner action figure of Luke Skywalker. And Toy Story is the tale of what if that Kenner action figure could walk and talk.

I don’t think it supposed to imply that Buzz Lightyear was a real life person.

DCLcruiser

I assume the 2022 movie is about the 90s tv show that inspired the toy, since the TS movies don't exist in a futuristic world.

So there are 2 Buzz Lightyears:

0) No real person, just a made up character for a show.
1) Cartoon Fictional Buzz Lightyear (Show that Andy watches)
2) Plastic Toy Buzz Lightyear

The 2022 movie is the pilot episode/origin story of the 90s show.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom