'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've got the beach house all set up for summer fun now, so I've got plenty of time! :cool:

Here's the latest from Variety today, which rolls out a few odd excuses why Lightyear bombed at the box office. Interestingly, Variety completely avoids Lightyear's controversy surrounding the Lesbian kissing and why that might have kept some parents away from that side of the multiplex this past weekend, while the Top Gun and Jurrasic Park side of the multiplex did gangbusters business again.

And since you like repetition, I'll remind you again that Doctor Strange 2 had the "2 moms" scene which led to a public will-they-or-won't-they keep it in, especially when it comes to releasing DS2 in certain foreign markets.

And DS2 made $250 Million more than DS1.

TP2000

And since you like repetition, I'll remind you again that Doctor Strange 2 had the "2 moms" scene which led to a public will-they-or-won't-they keep it in, especially when it comes to releasing DS2 in certain foreign markets.

And DS2 made $250 Million more than DS1.

The foreign markets thing doesn't faze me. As I understand it, there were about a dozen countries in the Muslim world, plus the Palestinian territory, that refused to allow Lightyear into theaters. Small potatoes.

Communist China raised a stink, but eventually allowed Lightyear in, correct?

To be honest, I love that sort of thing with the foreign countries! I think Hollywood needs to keep releasing stuff and then refuse to edit/censor their films for Communists and Muslim nations. Either you get to see our fabulous Hollywood movies, or you don't. But you don't get to tell America how to make films and art! :)🇺🇸

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
To be honest, I love that sort of thing with the foreign countries! I think Hollywood needs to keep releasing stuff and then refuse to edit/censor their films for Communists and Muslim nations. Either you get to see our fabulous Hollywood movies, or you don't. But you don't get to tell America how to make films and art! :)🇺🇸
Now that we can agree upon.

Let those citizens wonder why U.S. movies have dried up in their countries.

spacemt354

Chili's
Lightyear was a pretty good movie - but I don't think the marketing knew what to do with it.

Is this part of the Toy Story franchise or is this an original Pixar film? I don't think they marketed it particularly well in either direction.

Box office estimates were based on it being a Toy Story franchise film, the end result though was in line with original Pixar films like Coco in 2017.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The Bad Guys made $237 million on an est. $70 million budget just as recently as April

Nothing to throw a parade about, but it beat expectations.
That's a thin margin going by the rule of thumb calculus, but, it's a win.

It's that kind of budget that made the Ice Age movies so very, very profitable.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Bad Guys made $237 million on an est. $70 million budget just as recently as April

Nothing to throw a parade about, but it beat expectations.
That is worldwide, not US market alone, and that is in 60 days its entire run so far. It opened to $23M here in the US. So by everyone's definition of Box Office Bombs based on opening week alone, The Bad Guys bombed worse than Lightyear.

If we look at the worldwide numbers for Lightyear, it has done $90M in 4 days. So in 60 days it could theoretically make just as much if not more than The Bad Guys.

BuddyThomas

That's great. So why didn't they release it in theaters in March, 2022? Spring, 2022 was just a few months after the blockbuster Christmas season when Spiderman packed theaters across the country and did a Billion dollars in sales.

Again, we aren't discussing artistic or creative merits of films. We are discussing their financial success or failure. 💲💲💲

Perhaps they wanted to juice Disney+ subscriptions with Turning Red? But you can't spend $200 Million on a film like Turning Red and then try and earn that all back plus profit on eight dollar per household streaming subscriptions instead of fifteen dollar per seat theater tickets.
Oh my God, calm down. Who cares?

TP2000

I hate to break this to you, but Disney is going to survive.

It will survive. But will it continue to thrive?

Will they need to scale back their production cycle to just one big animated movie per year, in summer? Instead of a big movie at Easter, then in summer, and at Christmas?

The current business strategy clearly isn't working for them. It's not sustainable in the least.

spacemt354

Chili's
That is worldwide, not US market alone, and that is in 60 days its entire run so far. It opened to $23M here in the US. So by everyone's definition of Box Office Bombs based on opening week alone, The Bad Guys bombed worse than Lightyear.

If we look at the worldwide numbers for Lightyear, it has done $90M in 4 days. So in 60 days it could theoretically make just as much if not more than The Bad Guys.
Lightyear's budget was $200 million and it's June, prime summer season. It's not the same thing at all.

It's not a 'gotcha' - it's simply showing that there was an animated film that made a profit post-pandemic. If Turning Red was wide-released in theaters, I believe that too would have made a profit.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Lightyear's budget was $200 million. It's not the same thing at all.

It's not a 'gotcha' - it's simply showing that there was an animated film that made a profit post-pandemic. If Turning Red was wide-released in theaters, I believe that too would have made a profit.
I got where you were coming from, I was just making sure it was clear on the facts being presented and using apples-to-apples numbers on how some are looking at what is a bomb.

Lightyear during its entire run may end up doing a lot better than is being portrayed here.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The foreign markets thing doesn't faze me. As I understand it, there were about a dozen countries in the Muslim world, plus the Palestinian territory, that refused to allow Lightyear into theaters. Small potatoes.

Communist China raised a stink, but eventually allowed Lightyear in, correct?

Well, lots of studios kowtow to Mainland China with scripts, plotlines, and advertising.

spacemt354

Chili's
I got where you were coming from, I was just making sure it was clear on the facts being presented and using apples-to-apples numbers on how some are looking at what is a bomb.

Lightyear during its entire run may end up doing a lot better than is being portrayed here.
Possibly - but it'll need a strong 2nd weekend before it runs into Gru and Thor in the upcoming weekends.

Kirby86

True, after the initial uproar has died down I have a feeling it'll end up getting legs.
Anything is possible however on top of Gru coming in two weeks to take the animated family movie spot there's also the fact that this movie will be on Disney plus shortly after the 45 day theatrical window. People may decide to wait.

TP2000

Possibly - but it'll need a strong 2nd weekend before it runs into Gru and Thor in the upcoming weekends.

True, after the initial uproar has died down I have a feeling it'll end up getting legs.

It's not getting legs yet. It actually fell down to third place yesterday. 🤔

Yesterday was officially a brand new federal holiday with government businesses all closed. (Although, to be fair, many private businesses were not closed yesterday as it will take a few years for the new Juneteenth Holiday to get onto the books in HR and onto vacation planning calendars for most Americans.)

But at least Lightyear in 4,255 theaters is beating something called The Bob's Burgers Movie in 1,350 theaters. Whatever that Bob's Burgers Movie might be. I'm clearly not the demographic for that offering. 🤣

Box Office Data For Monday, June 20th, 2022 in United States Theaters

Buzz Has Very Short Legs.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom