'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

TalkingHead

What are you talking about? Turning Red was critically acclaimed and a lot of people love it. It's hardly a "dud of a movie."
A “dud” as in it wasn’t a box office success since that’s what’s under discussion with Lightyear. Turning Red is perfectly enjoyable as a piece of entertainment, so Disney not giving it a wide release is questionable to say the least.

Again it feels like the studio and executive leadership don’t have a coherent strategy with theatrical vs streaming and how those relate to brand identity.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
However, it is possible that the Encanto model is closer to what Disney will see as a success going forward in that they hope to make some money back from a limited theatrical release, but will also come up with some way of accounting for its performance on Disney+ to determine what it generated for the company overall.
This exactly, we're in a paradigm shift here in content releases.

It happened with music in the early 00s, remember when you used to go buy a CD (or record if you're from the older generation). Now you purchase music online via a service like iTunes or just stream all songs on a service like Spotify for free with subscription of $9 per month. And yet that shift hasn't caused the whole music industry to implode with artists on the streets with signs saying "Will sing for food". Music companies are still making Billions and artists are still getting Million dollar recording contracts. So the model works.

Hollywood will and is starting to figure out ways to make money with streaming, despite some here thinking it can't be done on a $8-$20 per month subscription.

DCLcruiser

It's my opinion Turning Red was sent to D+ to cover the first part of a month where nothing "new" and "major" was coming to the service.

I think, that it was exiled (unfortunately) to D+ because it's primarily an Asian-character movie with an obvious theme about puberty/a girl getting her period. Neither of which would make certain groups happy. Personally, we liked it overall. Not saying it was the greatest of all time.

Last edited:

ppete1975

I liked it, my only issue was the twist. And thats because it changes the way i look at the toy story movies. Then again it might not contradict anything just the way i remember them (Mandela effect). Darn i guess ill have to rewatch them all :)

DCLcruiser

I liked it, my only issue was the twist. And thats because it changes the way i look at the toy story movies. Then again it might not contradict anything just the way i remember them (Mandela effect). Darn i guess ill have to rewatch them all :)
OMG, you are right. The people in this thread don't even know what the twist is! (unless the cheated and read spoilers)

DCLcruiser

We're not exactly talking voting here! We don't owe it to Disney to financially support all the endeavours.
I do think as Disney fans we should support them as much as we can. To me, that means going to as many movies as I can, which interest me. Which is most of their animated stuff. Live action is hit or miss.

I just think it is odd to use Opening Weekend to determine if a movie is good or not, when you didn't go to see it. That makes you (not you @Sir_Cliff) part of the problem as to why it did so poorly. You knew about the movie, and still chose not to go. It's not like they did a bad job advertising it to you.

GimpYancIent

I do think as Disney fans we should support them as much as we can. To me, that means going to as many movies as I can, which interest me. Which is most of their animated stuff. Live action is hit or miss.

I just think it is odd to use Opening Weekend to determine if a movie is good or not, when you didn't go to see it. That makes you (not you @Sir_Cliff) part of the problem as to why it did so poorly. You knew about the movie, and still chose not to go. It's not like they did a bad job advertising it to you.
Yeah blame Disney advertising / marketing.

drod1985

The twist actually may not impact the previous Toy Story lore. There's a plausible explanation around it that I think a sequel could delve into.

ppete1975

thoughts on strange world? I saw the trailer during lightyear (not sure everyone got that one), and I really have no interest in it.. at this point. I just dont get what the story is or who the characters are.

ppete1975

The twist actually may not impact the previous Toy Story lore. There's a plausible explanation around it that I think a sequel could delve into.
I also need to rewatch the originals, because I might have made my own narrative and thought things were there that werent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom