'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Prepare to launch to infinity … and beyond! Beginning this Friday, May 20th, guests visiting Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort can get an early look at scenes from Disney and Pixar’s newest sci-fi adventure, “Lightyear” at the Walt Disney Presents attraction. Sneak peeks of the film will also be coming soon to Disneyland Paris and Disney Cruise Line."

DCBaker

Premium Member
New poster for IMAX and tickets are now on sale -

FUp0I_FVsAAEBqG.jpeg

NateD1226

Original Poster
Lightyear currently holds an 81% on Rotten Tomatoes with 52 reviews.

Ghost93

I thought Lightyear was a solid sci-fi adventure with nice messages about teamwork and typically stunning animation from Pixar.. However, I don't think the movie at all represents the character from the Toy Story movies. Twists in the film revolving around both Buzz and Zurg seem to contradict and change the way I perceive the characters entirely. I think the twists work for the movie itself, but they may hurt the long-term marketability of the characters as we know them. I can see why Disney wants to update the Buzz Lightyear ride at Magic Kingdom because it is very much at odds with the Lightyear in this movie.

This movie also has a pretty somber tone. While I appreciate that as an adult, I have a hard time believing this would have been Andy's favorite movie growing up. This is more like Interestellar in tone than a Saturday morning cartoon.

I recommend watching Lightyear as I think it's a good movie, but I feel people should know that this is mostly an original story that just used the Lightyear branding in an attempt to boost interest. It has a completely different feel from Toy Story.

Animaniac93-98

They should have just made a cool sci-fi movie instead of trying to use the Lightyear branding and character designs, which just look odd especially when trying to translate the toy proportions and colour schemes onto what are supposed to be human characters.

Slpy3270

Hmm, wonder why? (tips hat at the elephant in the room). I'll be going now...
Or maybe because the premise from the get-go was confusing? Even if Timmy was attached it wouldn't have performed any better because very few outside of Toy Story diehards were interested.

Either way, changes are all but certain to come at Pixar now. No way Morris and Docter are sticking around.

Magenta Panther

Or maybe because the premise from the get-go was confusing? Even if Timmy was attached it wouldn't have performed any better because very few outside of Toy Story diehards were interested.

Either way, changes are all but certain to come at Pixar now. No way Morris and Docter are sticking around.

Do you mean Andy?

You could be right - the premise of the film is weird as heck IMO - but what was it about the film that got much of the publicity?

(tiptoes around the elephant) Don't mind me...

Vegas Disney Fan

Wowzers. Lightyear's a flop.

And I mean it's flopping worldwide. And not just because some countries have banned it.

Hmm, wonder why? (tips hat at the elephant in the room). I'll be going now...

Disney+ effect?

Why pay to see it in the theater when I can watch it at home on the 75” for “free”? (With paid subscription)

I doubt I’ll watch many movies in the theater anymore, not unless I’m super excited about one anyway.

Slpy3270

Do you mean Andy?
I'm talking about Jim Morris, the president of Pixar.
You could be right - the premise of the film is weird as heck IMO - but what was it about the film that got much of the publicity?
People don't make decisions based on publicity. The fact that it got an A- CinemaScore suggests people liked it.

Lightyear is very much an indictment of Iger's "milk the IP for all it's worth" strategy. The fact that it was announced during a shareholder meeting was a tell that nobody was going to be that intrigued over it.

Last edited:

Ghost93

I think part of the underperformance is homophobia, but I also think people underestimate that Bob Chapek has been conditioning people to view CGI animated movies as "direct to streaming" material rather than "must-see theatrical events." When you get three great Pixar movies like Soul, Luca and Turning Red on Disney Plus FOR FREE, going back to paying $10-15 a ticket for a similar type of movie doesn't seem appealing to a lot of families.

I also don't think Lightyear benefitted too much from its connection to Toy Story because, as I said earlier, it's almost a completely original character. This isn't performing like a Toy Story movie because it's not a Toy Story movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom