'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

Sir_Cliff

I take it more like Lightyear is a movie about a fictional space character. The Buzz figure we all know is a toy based on that movie.

so basically “Lightyear” is like the movie “Star Wars” while Tim Allen’s Buzz is the equivalent of the Kenner action figure of Luke Skywalker. And Toy Story is the tale of what if that Kenner action figure could walk and talk.

I don’t think it supposed to imply that Buzz Lightyear was a real life person.
That makes a lot more sense than the idea the toy was based on a real person who was flying around shooting space lasers at people at some point in the early 1990s.

Mad Stitch

JediBuzz.JPG

So... is this the beginning of Buzz's path to becoming a Jedi?

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

I am interested to see what this is actually like, but I have to admit that so far I'm finding the tone kind of jarringly different to that of the Toy Story films. This is not really how I imagined the backstory of Buzz Lightyear! I guess I may just have to brace myself for the gritty western starring Woody to follow.

champdisney

I am interested to see what this is actually like, but I have to admit that so far I'm finding the tone kind of jarringly different to that of the Toy Story films. This is not really how I imagined the backstory of Buzz Lightyear! I guess I may just have to brace myself for the gritty western starring Woody to follow.
Don't count on a Red Dead Redemption-esque film about Woody. He comes from TV segments to plug in a specific cereal brand. Take as if Tony the Tiger got his own movie... as a matter of fact, nevermind, that actually sounds like it could be interesting.

Sir_Cliff

Don't count on a Red Dead Redemption-esque film about Woody. He comes from TV segments to plug in a specific cereal brand. Take as if Tony the Tiger got his own movie... as a matter of fact, nevermind, that actually sounds like it could be interesting.
Buzz was a plastic space toy marketed to kids, and look how dramatic his backstory ended up being! No reason to think Woody didn't kill a few people on his way to those cereal commercials.

Last edited:

champdisney

Buzz was a plastic space toy marketed to kids, and look how dramatic his backstory ended up being! No reason to think Woody didn't kill a few people on his way to those cereal commercials.
Wait a minute... I thought THIS was the movie that Andy watched in theaters, fell in love with and wanted a Buzz Lightyear toy of his own?

Or is this like what happened with Transformers and G.I. Joe in real life? Where it was a toy line decades before becoming a movie franchise?

So, this is what they’ll use to redo Mission: Space, right?
I thought this was going to replace Space Mountain?

View attachment 596457
View attachment 596458
... And... there's Space Ranger Spin that needs immediate attention!!

DCLcruiser

Wait a minute... I thought THIS was the movie that Andy watched in theaters, fell in love with and wanted a Buzz Lightyear toy of his own?

Or is this like what happened with Transformers and G.I. Joe in real life? Where it was a toy line decades before becoming a movie franchise?
I think this is Transformers-esq:

80s kids - watched a tv show, played with toys, and now they created live-action origin story movies.

Andy - watched a tv show, played with toys, and now they created a live-action origin story movie (all within Andy's universe).

This is not a story about a real person (it can't be as TS does not take place in a spacefaring future).

JAB

I think this is Transformers-esq:

80s kids - watched a tv show, played with toys, and now they created live-action origin story movies.

Andy - watched a tv show, played with toys, and now they created a live-action origin story movie (all within Andy's universe).

This is not a story about a real person (it can't be as TS does not take place in a spacefaring future).
This is my take on it as well. There was a Buzz toy and an accompanying animated TV show. Now, years later, they're doing the in-universe equivalent of a "live action" feature film adaptation.

It also explains why it makes sense not to cast Tim Allen to voice Buzz. Since, in-universe, "Lightyear" is not an animated film, it would star actors who are real people who exist in Andy's world, and because the voice actor for the Buzz toy and cartoon would most likely look nothing like Buzz (especially 20+ years later), they would have had to cast a different actor.

champdisney

This is my take on it as well. There was a Buzz toy and an accompanying animated TV show. Now, years later, they're doing the in-universe equivalent of a "live action" feature film adaptation.

It also explains why it makes sense not to cast Tim Allen to voice Buzz. Since, in-universe, "Lightyear" is not an animated film, it would star actors who are real people who exist in Andy's world, and because the voice actor for the Buzz toy and cartoon would most likely look nothing like Buzz (especially 20+ years later), they would have had to cast a different actor.
I don't know. The Buzz Lightyear in this upcoming film looks exactly like the Buzz we know and love... minus being plastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom