Lightweight PP S/W?

KeithVH

Original Poster
I'll be on the Wonder for 15 days and plan on doing some experimental IR shots (standard 720 filter- haven't had time to get an old body converted). Only taking a small, slow notebook PC but would like to check results and need some public domain S/W that does channel mixing and such. Lightroom won't cut it and don't want to pat for CC. Am I stuck with GIMP?

thomas998

If you want to just be able to look at things quickly without buying software then you could always download Capture One Pro and do the time trial for it. It will give you 30 days of full usage including saves and exports to whatever format you use. Otherwise, shareware programs for working with digital photos are generally all in about the same boat as gimp... not something I like to use.

But if you are going to use a 720 filter on a camera that hasn't had the internal IR filter removed I would suggest you do some tests before you even leave home in the backyard. I'm betting that you are going to have to leave your shutter open for a very long time to get anything as the IR filters on cameras tend to be pretty good at blocking IR. You might have to use the same exposure times you would on a pin hole camera.

KeithVH

Original Poster
The Capture One trial is a GREAT suggestion. Thanks!

But yeah, proly 60-90 second exposures. I was going to take an old 30D up the street to LifePixel but time and life just got away from me and we board this Friday (and I'm too cheap to pay the rush fee). I almost went with a film body (and Rollei film?) but I want to travel lite this time so the only choice now is a filter. Besides, it's just for fun. Shipboard subjects will be no prob. But I think I'll be limited to tender ports (Cabo, Panama, Caymans) if I want land-based subjects.

thomas998

The Capture One trial is a GREAT suggestion. Thanks!

But yeah, proly 60-90 second exposures. I was going to take an old 30D up the street to LifePixel but time and life just got away from me and we board this Friday (and I'm too cheap to pay the rush fee). I almost went with a film body (and Rollei film?) but I want to travel lite this time so the only choice now is a filter. Besides, it's just for fun. Shipboard subjects will be no prob. But I think I'll be limited to tender ports (Cabo, Panama, Caymans) if I want land-based subjects.
Given you already have the 720 filter you could always just open up the 30D and remove the IR filter and leave the sensor completely bare in the camera. I've seen the DIY that lifepixel has for removing the IR filter and replacing it with their 720 filter on the sensor. It doesn't look that complicated and you would probably do it in a couple of hours. Or if you want to do a quick an dirty you could probably just use an exacto knife and a steady hand and remove the filter from the front of the camera without ever even opening it up. It looks like the filter is just held in place by some thin plastic which could probably be cut with a steady hand. If you did go that route it would allow you to take photos at a more normal shutter speed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom