Lightroom tips and tricks

sheriffwoody

Just finding the neutral gray is the difficult part LOL

YES. This. Maddening. I feel like any time I am struggling to get my white balance right, there is no gray in the image to click on. I usually just take my temp slider and go all the way to one direction, then I start dragging it back until it looks right. Then if I need to, I'll do the same with tint. The key is having a RAW image to begin with.

It's also hard when you have an image with multiple light sources, because parts may be too warm and others too cool. The adjustment brush comes in handy here, so you can warm up just the portion of the image that needs it.

Lightroom is my primary tool for editing. Couldn't work without it!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Protecting against Catalog failure or loss

In catalog Settings, there is an option 'Automatically write changes into XMP'. If you enable this, each time you make a change to an image, Lightroom will write the changes to both the catalog database, and into the file (or an associated XMP) file. This means that if for some reason you lose the catalog, or it becomes corrupt, all of your edits will still be available within each file.

NowInc

Protecting against Catalog failure or loss

In catalog Settings, there is an option 'Automatically write changes into XMP'. If you enable this, each time you make a change to an image, Lightroom will write the changes to both the catalog database, and into the file (or an associated XMP) file. This means that if for some reason you lose the catalog, or it becomes corrupt, all of your edits will still be available within each file.

If you convert to DNG on import, this data is automatically saved in the file as you edit. I have not seen any downside to using that format, but it does take extra time to convert which is why most (myself included) don't bother.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If you convert to DNG on import, this data is automatically saved in the file as you edit. I have not seen any downside to using that format, but it does take extra time to convert which is why most (myself included) don't bother.
Only issue I see with DNG is if you then want to move to a program later down the road that does not support DNG properly. I have read cases where some of the meta data is lost in DNG over RAW.

This was one of them http://petapixel.com/2015/07/16/why-i-stopped-using-the-dng-file-format/

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Pressing the \ key gives you an instant look at the 'before' version of your edited photo in the Develop view. I find this easier to use than the side-by-side view that is available in the interface.

NowInc

Lightroom makes it really easy to make various versions of the same picture without taking up any more hard drive space. Simply make a "Virtual Copy" and you can change things around and pick the best version out of all the edits you make.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
When you backup your LR catalog, by default it puts it onto the same drive as the working copy. Ideally you should change this to be an external drive, NAS, or some place would not be affected by a failure of the drive that contains your working catalog.

Jahona

So out of curiosity does anyone have experience with Google Nik and if so whats their opinion on it? I've been looking for HDR and other plugins.

NowInc

So out of curiosity does anyone have experience with Google Nik and if so whats their opinion on it? I've been looking for HDR and other plugins.

I love the Nik software suite. Worth every penny. However, the HDR suite included is a tad too "simple", but it works.

Jahona

I love the Nik software suite. Worth every penny. However, the HDR suite included is a tad too "simple", but it works.

From messing with the demo it seems like it's a huge step up from the built in Adobe HDR software. What HDR program do you suggest to compliment the Nik pack?

NowInc

From messing with the demo it seems like it's a huge step up from the built in Adobe HDR software. What HDR program do you suggest to compliment the Nik pack?

The one most use is Photomatix. I find it to be the most robust..for now. Aurora HDR is picking up steam (however its mac only)

donsullivan

Premium Member

I've been using the Nik Software for years now and become a big fan of ColorEfx Pro. Unfortunately they seem to have turned into abandonware since being acquired by Google. Most of the tools haven't seen any advancement but compatibility updates since 2011. Given the lack of advancement I've been looking for alternatives.

My go-to plug-ins now are the ones from MacPhun (Mac Only). Their Noiseless noise reduction software is by far the best I've ever used. They also have one called Snapheal that brings content aware fill type functionality to LR. You have to round-trip everything in and out of the plug-in so if I think I'm going to use multiples, I pull the image to PS and then apply them there. They function as standalone apps as well as plug-ins to Photoshop and Lightroom. They recently released an HDR package (This is the one the Trey Ratcliffe has been hyping lately) but I don't do much with HDR so while I have it, I've not invested much time in getting super familiar with how effective it is vs the stagnating Photomatix.

Jahona

I've been using the Nik Software for years now and become a big fan of ColorEfx Pro. Unfortunately they seem to have turned into abandonware since being acquired by Google.

I thought the name Nik sounded familiar. I think I have some of their plugins for an older version of Photoshop that I got a while back through a promotion. I don't remember ever figuring out how to use them at the time.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've been using the Nik Software for years now and become a big fan of ColorEfx Pro. Unfortunately they seem to have turned into abandonware since being acquired by Google. Most of the tools haven't seen any advancement but compatibility updates since 2011. Given the lack of advancement I've been looking for alternatives.
I was going to say the same. It is very strange post the Google acquisition. The product still seems to be out there, buyable and supported - but with no updates what-so-ever. I was a fan of it, but you have to think after years of no updates, it is time to look elsewhere. Shame, because before Google it was a great product with a lot of advancements.

NowInc

I was going to say the same. It is very strange post the Google acquisition. The product still seems to be out there, buyable and supported - but with no updates what-so-ever. I was a fan of it, but you have to think after years of no updates, it is time to look elsewhere. Shame, because before Google it was a great product with a lot of advancements.

I feel even without the updates, its still worth what it costs. I have yet to find anything that provides anything as robust at the Nik suite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom