Lightning Lane Individual Attraction selling out???

eliza61nyc

It’s really sad when a family with say 2 small kids comes up to Frozen. The line is always long. The Mom and Dad sees the look on the kids faces, and not wanting to disappoint them, look at each other, then decide to pay an ADDITIONAL $44 after paying $$$$ in tickets already to get into Epcot. Disney is not for the faint of heart when it comes to opening your wallet.
I don't have small children anymore but all the young moms at my job have said some thing like this.

"I will pay any amount of money NOT to have to stand in line with my 3 small ones for an hour". I think it sucks also but I do know teachers who can only go to wdw in the summer when it's mobbed. They have all told me that the extra 50 bucks is beyond worth it.

Unfortunately Disney knows this.

ppete1975

Of course Disney and all other parks are going to raise prces. Have you seen what is going on with energy prices , over 50% more and food prices. Inflation is here. Almost a 6% increase in Social Security benefits is coming in January. Face it, the cost of everything is going up and not by small amounts.
I dont really mind if costs go up, its the lowering of show, its maintenance, its how long things to be built, and then the addons. If a family can afford the hotel and gate tickets they should be treated the same as everyone else. Maybe you cant buy the crystal cinderella castle or all the spirit jerseys but you should be able to do quick service and have the same opportunities as everyone else. But these latest moves like genie + and lightning lane, where you have to add something else to your ticket just to be like everyone else, or even worse pay money just to ride one ride. Fast pass wasnt perfect but at least it was factored into your park admission. I loved park hopper and always paid for it, but this was a voluntary thing that plussed my vacation, i was treated the same as everyone else. This new stuff feels like six flags which has had this for years, and feels cheap. This is now a class system which I never thought disney would be, which is why i am upset. People with the money or dont mind the debt will get treated differently than the people who saved for years to go. And in my mind this nickel and diming by the corporate people just to make people give them a bigger bonus is a slap in the face to the people who have supported Disney through all its ups and downs. Disney still markets itself to be for everyone, watch the commercials they show all class systems... but thats sadly not who they want.

Its time to realize that Disney is run by corporate shills who only care about the dollar, the imagineers that made disney different than six flags are gone, or so far down the totem pole that their voices are muted.

The people in charge currently inherited eden, and have turned it into a mcdonalds.

SteveAZee

I don't have small children anymore but all the young moms at my job have said some thing like this.

"I will pay any amount of money NOT to have to stand in line with my 3 small ones for an hour". I think it sucks also but I do know teachers who can only go to wdw in the summer when it's mobbed. They have all told me that the extra 50 bucks is beyond worth it.

I can see that... but to pay out of 'desperation' like that does not build good will among guests or create someone wanting to return there on their next vacation or speak happily about the experience when they get back home. The short game may be lucrative but the long game suffers.

eliza61nyc

I can see that... but to pay out of 'desperation' like that does not build good will among guests or create someone wanting to return there on their next vacation or speak happily about the experience when they get back home. The short game may be lucrative but the long game suffers.
Unfortunately Steve I really don't think corporations think long term anymore. We shareholders maybe have to take a bit of the blame. Everyone wants double digit returns, every year. Quick and cheap is the business model ***sighs***
I wonder if first timers think "hey I'm only doing Disney once so I'll go all out". Never worrying about the cost?

SteveAZee

Unfortunately Steve I really don't think corporations think long term anymore. We shareholders maybe have to take a bit of the blame. Everyone wants double digit returns, every year. Quick and cheap is the business model ***sighs***
I wonder if first timers think "hey I'm only doing Disney once so I'll go all out". Never worrying about the cost?
It's kind of an odd thing, though. There's an efficiency to investing in companies for the long term, both on the part of individuals and particularly for those working for funds. While next year's profits are good to have, if there are clear signals of increased profitability at the 2 to five year time horizon, it's a great place to shovel money, particularly on the dips. I honestly don't know how much money in the market is of the 'buy and hold' variety and how much is more 'short term'. Most larger stocks, I've assumed, are more in the former than the latter category.

For me, I think the internal reward systems of companies drive decision making as much as stock price. Sure, some people have stock options, but a lot of managers have bonuses tied to meeting or exceeding their yearly or quarterly goals, which indeed is more short term thinking. I'm guessing that the lack of repairs and cut backs on many of the smaller things have little to do with stock value and more to do with not exceeding budgets. (yes, budgets are driven by bigger picture business costs which in turn trickle to profitability and then stock price...). Just saying the short term decision failures are internal (managers and their bonuses) as much, if not more so, the stock price. They could alter this perspective, this culture, internally if they chose to.

Just my view of things. :)

I think you may be right... first timers just blowing out their budget (if they had one) since it may be their one and only trip. Playing to that crowd, though, is fraught with financial peril. Turning away repeat guests will bite them long term, I think. Cost of acquiring new guests will go up, especially as negative articles and word-of-mouth continue to spread.

yensidtlaw1969

I guess it could always be worse. Disney could be charging the high ticket fee to get into the park and then go with the you must buy for each ride ticket book feature.
It's worth noting, in case this is a reference to the old Ticket Books, that the entrance fee for the park used to be way, way lower relative to today.

MK General Admission in 1971 was $3.50 for an adult - which would only be $23.71 today. Wouldn't mind the ILL prices quite so much if THAT was the cover charge for entrance.

E Tickets in 1971 were 90 Cents - or $6.10 today.

Sir_Cliff

I am interested to see how this goes and, if it works out, it will fall into the category of a lot of moves Disney is making lately that I don't personally like but I can't blame them for if customers swallow each extra cost and cutback enthusiastically. It just makes me less likely to go, but I doubt Disney cares.

My impression is that they have had a harder time with their paid version of Fastpass in Paris, and this may also come down to cultural differences. I think consumers in the US are conditioned to expect upcharges, right down to sales tax not being included in the sticker price of items and restaurant bills having an effective 15-20% upcharge to pay for labor. "Resort fees" on top of the quoted price for a room also fall into that category. So, maybe extra charges sprinkled through the parks will be greeted with a bit of a shrug by those who can afford to go.

eliza61nyc

I am interested to see how this goes and, if it works out, it will fall into the category of a lot of moves Disney is making lately that I don't personally like but I can't blame them for if customers swallow each extra cost and cutback enthusiastically. It just makes me less likely to go, but I doubt Disney cares.

My impression is that they have had a harder time with their paid version of Fastpass in Paris, and this may also come down to cultural differences. I think consumers in the US are conditioned to expect upcharges, right down to sales tax not being included in the sticker price of items and restaurant bills having an effective 15-20% upcharge to pay for labor. "Resort fees" on top of the quoted price for a room also fall into that category. So, maybe extra charges sprinkled through the parks will be greeted with a bit of a shrug by those who can afford to go.
Very true. Unfortunately I probably fit that characteristic. Where I live in PA we have a Sugar tax + a sales tax. So a 20z bottle of coke is routinely 2.50-3.50. Disney prices don't even make me blink. So I'm conditioned and always baffled when folks here complain about the prices. Lol I always say to my self "Don't these folks travel "

SteveAZee

It's worth noting, in case this is a reference to the old Ticket Books, that the entrance fee for the park used to be way, way lower relative to today.

MK General Admission in 1971 was $3.50 for an adult - which would only be $23.71 today. Wouldn't mind the ILL prices quite so much if THAT was the cover charge for entrance.

True. Also true about 1971, no Pirates, no Big Thunder, Splash, Space, etc

JIMINYCR

My comment was in reference to the old ticket book, pay as you ride and the alphabet tiered tickets for attractions. Yet I was commenting that Disney could still be charging the high entry fee AND charge seperate attraction prices. And its certain that Disney would never charge as minimal a fee for each ticket.

Tink76

Those of us old enough to remember stood in long lines for over an hour as kids for the NY Worlds Fair. Lines are nothing new and families who cannot afford to spend dollars on the whole Disney experience will take a back seat to those willing to shell out the money.

spock8113

Ivy League Theme Park.
"Keeping out the low-income riff-raff" like was done in steerage on the Titanic and we ALL know how that went with regard to ticket prices! The best comedic writers can't top the the hypocrisy of this present management's concept of Disney's "Affordable family fun".

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveAZee

Those of us old enough to remember stood in long lines for over an hour as kids for the NY Worlds Fair. Lines are nothing new and families who cannot afford to spend dollars on the whole Disney experience will take a back seat to those willing to shell out the money.
What little I remember from the NY World's Fair was about the experiences, not the lines... but I'm sure we stood in a few. :)

It'll be interesting how this plays out over time... whether the 'pay to jump the line' in its most blatant form now will be seen as a saving grace or a 'gone too far' money grab. LOL, it will probably fall, proportionally, to the number of people in the LL vs standby. ;)

Yes, prices are going up. Wages, energy, the cost of food items, cleaning products/supplies, everything has seen at least a moderate increase in cost. Why wouldn’t Disneyland make adjustments to the prices and pass the cost onto visitors. No one is happy about it, but compared to a Major League Baseball or football game. I think the cost increase is not outrageous. We’ll adjust to policy changes or not visit the parks.

cslafferty

Problem with this is there is this perception that if you pay the $15 you’ll be able to just walk on all the rides, and that’s not true. Remember the paper FP days, running to the kiosks before they’re all out for the day? Same thing only you’ll be doing it from your phone. And during those busy times, like spring break and summer, you may pay $15 to get a time for maybe 2 rides before the other popular rides sell out for the day. So you’ll be stuck either getting LL times for less popular rides that are pretty much a walk on anyway, or standing in the long stand by lines for your $15.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Yes, prices are going up. Wages, energy, the cost of food items, cleaning products/supplies, everything has seen at least a moderate increase in cost. Why wouldn’t Disneyland make adjustments to the prices and pass the cost onto visitors. No one is happy about it, but compared to a Major League Baseball or football game. I think the cost increase is not outrageous. We’ll adjust to policy changes or not visit the parks.

The incredible thing is, and I did the math.. a 2 day park hopper for a family of 3 (two adults, one child), including hotel stay and food, is the equivalent of my monthly mortgage PLUS my Model 3 payment. Insane.

Actually it would be a few hundred more on top of that. Just the Disney hotel and admission would match my previously mentioned expenses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom