Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

JAB

As much as I enjoy WDW, I don't think I would enjoy two weeks straight there.
actually it's much better to take an extended trip and pace yourself rather than try to cram everything in a week. I usually do 10 or 11 days at a time when I can and have some "off" days... or sleep in and do whatever we feel like days
We found 10 days to be the right length for us, too, with a rest day in the middle (although "rest day" for us simply means "no rope drop") and a couple miscellaneous days at the end. It lets us get everything done but still have a relaxed pace without feeling too long.

ConfettiCupcake

I see you’re taking the official Customer Services line then?

Many U.K. families arriving this summer will fly in and head to WDW. They can book once they get somewhere with wifi, ie: at the resort.

They miss out even on getting the advance booking that offsite guests get. The only people who are worse off are those who turn up on the day and buy a day ticket.

Why should we not ge5 the 7 day advance booking that other onsite guests get? Do you seriously think it’s fair?

It’s so blatantly ridiculous, especially given the way they actively court UK guests, that I will be shocked if there isn’t something done to rectify or work around.

Booking once you land is not an appropriate solution at all.

As an aside, the 7 days vs 3 days booking window creates an issue that didn’t exist previously with 30 and 60. When the difference between onsite and offsite is shorter than the max ticket length they sell they create a situation where a long enough offsite stay trumps an on-site stay. I can see tweaks coming to single and multi pass.

Purduevian

We obviously don't know how it will work yet, but from a development standpoint, dropping tier restrictions system-wide at a specific time (whether that's 7am or at park open) is the simplest solution and therefore the most likely IMO. Checking to see if someone's used a pre-booked LL every single time any guest tries to book a LL would add thousands of concurrent database requests that would put more strain on the system.
Didn't the old FP+ system restrict your prebooked tier 2s to tier 2s until you used it? I don't think you could modify those at any point throughout the day to a tier 1.

Not saying the time based unlock wouldn't be logistically easier, but I feel like that had a different system already implemented in FP+.

I hope you are right though and I doubt we will get official word until 7/24

pdude81

Didn't the old FP+ system restrict your prebooked tier 2s to tier 2s until you used it? I don't think you could modify those at any point throughout the day to a tier 1.

Not saying the time based unlock wouldn't be logistically easier, but I feel like that had a different system already implemented in FP+.

You previously (FP+) had to use all 3 or let them expire to book another, so functionally you were limited to one T1 at a time. They could somewhat easily limit the system to allowing one T1 per user and then not worry about what you rode or modified.

Purduevian

You previously (FP+) had to use all 3 or let them expire to book another, so functionally you were limited to one T1 at a time. They could somewhat easily limit the system to allowing one T1 per user and then not worry about what you rode or modified.
You could modify your original 3 before using them all up though...
However, I don't think you could modify a tier 2 to a tier 1 day of. Which is what people are wondering if there will be some "unlock" time on the prebooks or not.

nickys

Premium Member
With FP+ you could also just prebook 1 and then as soon as you’d tapped in could book another Tier 1 at a different park. So the tier restrictions disappeared for park hopping as soon as you’d used your first one.

nickys

Premium Member
You could modify your original 3 before using them all up though...
However, I don't think you could modify a tier 2 to a tier 1 day of. Which is what people are wondering if there will be some "unlock" time on the prebooks or not.
I don’t know where it’s come from but I’ve seen people saying you will be able to modify at 7am without tier restrictions. I assumed the source was Scott Gustin but I could be wrong.

ConfettiCupcake

Because of the way this system allows you to book as soon as you use one/let one expire instead of all 3 like FP+, it makes sense to me that the day of function (with it rolling over at 7 am) simply would drop the tiering, which is what allows modifying into tier 1s. Idk if that makes sense to others or if it’s just me lol.

I suppose it’s truly all speculation until the system is up and running.

Supertech65

If you're American, you're well-aware the average family is unable to take a 14+ day vacation anywhere....not just Disney.
I'm more than "well aware" but I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Am I somehow supposed to feel guilty because I'm taking a longer trip that most Americans don't usually do or can afford? I'm sure there are many people in the US that do at least 10 plus days during a trip. My original trip was for 10 days but I changed It many months ago because I have family down there during that time and I wanted to see them before they left so I extended my trip to cover 2 weeks, that's why I bought the 14 day ticket. The 14 day ticket happens to be cheaper than even disney's 10 day parkhopper plus ticket. Plus, my 14 day ticket came with memory maker for free so it saved me around $600 between 2 adult tickets. I scrimp and save like anyone else does. I buy discounted gift cards to help pay for my food when I'm there. And because I've been working at the same place for 36 years I get 7 weeks vacation a year which allows me to sell 2 of those 7 weeks which helps to pay for my trip and my airfare.Though I'm not sure (because I don't do character meals or a lot of table service) but I'm almost positive there are many character breakfast on property for a family of 4 that cost double for one meal than what Disney's charging for a family of four to have max pass added to their ticket for the day.

JAB

Keeping tier restrictions just on modifying pre-booked LL would certainly be less of a strain on the system than checking if you've used a LL, but since we know for sure that there's no restriction on new day-of bookings people could get around such restrictions by pre-booking fewer than 3, or booking an early throw-away tier 2 and then booking a second tier 1.

But we know that new day-of bookings won't have any tier restrictions and are only limited by availability, so it doesn't appear that there will be any per-user limit on T1 LL.

pdude81

Keeping tier restrictions just on modifying pre-booked LL would certainly be less of a strain on the system than checking if you've used a LL, but since we know for sure that there's no restriction on new day-of bookings people could get around such restrictions by pre-booking fewer than 3, or booking an early throw-away tier 2 and then booking a second tier 1.

But we know that new day-of bookings won't have any tier restrictions and are only limited by availability, so it doesn't appear that there will be any per-user limit on T1 LL.
This is what doesn't make sense to me. I've seen people mention this but I can't find it on any official pages that say there are no tier restrictions after you use up one of your passes. It is listed in the article on this site though, so I'm assuming that has been confirmed.

I much prefer the ability to stack regardless of tier after using the first selection though. Especially in another park.

Purduevian

I don’t know where it’s come from but I’ve seen people saying you will be able to modify at 7am without tier restrictions. I assumed the source was Scott Gustin but I could be wrong.
If everything "unlocks" at 7am this system doesn't eliminate one of the biggest complaints about G+. Because everyone "in the know" will get up at 7am anyway and try to modify their tier 2s into tier 1s.

I really wish they had just left the whole system alone, but allowed you to pre-book 1 attraction as your first G+ attractions. Additional LLs would follow the same rules as today.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Because of the way this system allows you to book as soon as you use one/let one expire instead of all 3 like FP+, it makes sense to me that the day of function (with it rolling over at 7 am) simply would drop the tiering, which is what allows modifying into tier 1s. Idk if that makes sense to others or if it’s just me lol.

I suppose it’s truly all speculation until the system is up and running.
I think it makes perfect sense to drop the tiering and 1 park restriction at a given time on the “day of“. I assume that will be how it works. 7am as that time makes less sense to me than doing it at park open. 7am was allowed under genie+ and with virtual queues as a roughly 2 hour pre-booking window. Since your first reservation can’t be before park open if you made the “day of“ start at park open then whether I use my first reservation or modify it’s no different and the system simply drops the restriction at that time.

Deadly Danson

As much as I enjoy WDW, I don't think I would enjoy two weeks straight there.
A lot of Brits stay offsite and mix in days at Universal, Sea World and Busch Gardens. Traditionally that's what we've done over the years - a couple of days at a Disney park, a day at Universal, then Disney, then Sea World etc. Two weeks flies by.
Anyway I'm still extremely irritated that the first thing I'll be doing when I get to my Disney resort after a 9 hour flight will be to sit and plan for Lightning Lane passes knowing US Resort guests and offsite guests will have had their pick of the best rides and slots before me but I still have to pay full price.

MickeyLuv'r

I would challenge someone to find a day using thrill data where all G+ rides were sold out in any park 4 hours after park opening (which would mean people should be on their 3rd LL at minimum). Its possible people only got 1 or 2 because they didn't know the system, or they didn't like the rides that were left... but there was always availability for 3 rides (yes star tours counts as a ride).
We always got more, but if enough rides go down, that could make for some very limited selections. Also remember that during lightning many rides go down. Last summer we hopped to MK and the rest of the afternoon/evening was stormy. We lucked out, because we were able to get G+ for most of the rides that were open, Buzz, HM, IaSW, teacups?, Pooh, PotC, SM, LM, and we did CoP. Mostly though I was able to book back to back G+. The standby waits for the most of the rides that were open were all very long, like LM had- I think- a 60 minute wait.

We skipped: Philarmagic, carrousel, HoP, and Monsters, INC, could not get Pan, and I think we bailed on Pirates- though we had a G+ for it. I think we also skipped Tiki Room. Oh, we also skipped the Peoplemover, which was running, but it was a bit scary with the very loud/close lightning.

Rides that go down: BTMRR, Barnstormer, Dumbo, JC, Aladdin, 7D, Tiana's, Speedway, Tron, Astro, Riverboat, Treehouse, and TSI.

Much of AK also goes down during storms: all animal attractions, EE, Kali, Safari, and Triceratop Spin. That leaves: FoP (not G+), Dino, ITtbaB, and Na'vi. If one of those happens to be down, there would be only 2 G+ ride options. If someone booked Na'vi, then did ITtbaB while waiting for their Na'vi pass, with storms and Dino down, that could = just 1 ride G+ for the day if they can't hop. They could book the two indoor shows, but those are not rides.

Last edited:

Purduevian

We always got more, but if enough rides go down, that could make for some very limited selections. Also remember that during lightning many rides go down. Last summer we hopped to MK and the rest of the afternoon/evening was stormy. We lucked out, because we were able to get G+ for most of the rides that were open, Buzz, HM, IaSW, teacups?, Pooh, PotC, SM, LM, and we did CoP. Mostly though I was able to book back to back G+. The standby waits for the most of the rides that were open were all very long, like LM had- I think- a 60 minute wait.

We skipped: Philarmagic, carrousel, HoP, and Monsters, INC, could not get Pan, and I think we bailed on Pirates- though we had a G+ for it. I think we also skipped Tiki Room. Oh, we also skipped the Peoplemover, which was running, but it was a bit scary with the very loud/close lightning.

Rides that go down: BTMRR, Barnstormer, Dumbo, JC, Aladdin, 7D, Tiana's, Speedway, Tron, Astro, Riverboat, Treehouse, and TSI.

Much of AK also goes down during storms: all animal attractions, EE, Kali, Safari, and Triceratop Spin. That leaves: FoP (not G+), Dino, ITtbaB, and Na'vi. If one of those happens to be down, there would be only 2 G+ ride options. If someone booked Na'vi, then did ITtbaB while waiting for their Na'vi pass, with storms and Dino down, that could = just 1 ride G+ for the day if they can't hop. They could book the two indoor shows, but those are not rides.
The challenge still stands... and I'll modify it based on weather. Find a day using thrill data where all G+ rides were sold out in any park 4 hours after park opening or said ride that was available was unavailable the rest of the day.
I'll add 2 more conditions that should make it even easier:
  • A Ride can be considered "sold out" if the return time is after 8pm
  • I won't count the follow as valid options:
    • Any show (philharmagic, Muppets, ect)
    • Any attraction that has less than a 20 min wait at the time

doctornick

I would challenge someone to find a day using thrill data where all G+ rides were sold out in any park 4 hours after park opening (which would mean people should be on their 3rd LL at minimum). Its possible people only got 1 or 2 because they didn't know the system, or they didn't like the rides that were left... but there was always availability for 3 rides (yes star tours counts as a ride).

1. Not everyone buys G+ at 7am. I'm sure there are a ton of folks who arrive to a park at 10 or 11, see the massive lines and say "well, I'll just buy this line skipping thing" and think they'll be able to ride a lot the rest of the day with that
2. not everyone books additional rides as soon as they can. Some people forget or don't realize they can do it sooner, etc.

And I'm sure there are other reasons. So, sure, someone using the pass in a reasonably aggressive way will always be able to get a number of solid choices. But that doesn't mean there weren't users who used it suboptimally and only got 1 or 2 in a day.

MickeyLuv'r

The challenge still stands... and I'll modify it based on weather. Find a day using thrill data where all G+ rides were sold out in any park 4 hours after park opening or said ride that was available was unavailable the rest of the day.
I'll add 2 more conditions that should make it even easier:
  • A Ride can be considered "sold out" if the return time is after 8pm
  • I won't count the follow as valid options:
    • Any show (philharmagic, Muppets, ect)
    • Any attraction that has less than a 20 min wait at the time
And that is fine if that is your criteria, but that might not be what someone else meant if they said they only got 1 ride, they might not be counting shows.

With or without a pass, I'll see Muppets at the same time, so that can also explain why many people don't 'count' it.

I wasn't posting to argue, just to explain a scenario where booking options get very limited: storm+ ride down + entering after rope drop + busy week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom