Original Poster
So... what’s up with this?

210A3B88-A79D-4099-AEE1-C41991591074.jpeg
BDD574E1-578F-478A-8570-A183C87A9A87.jpeg
80824834-7EBC-4AEF-9308-7D2E79991D09.jpeg
F040D508-574A-424F-A48F-6713E684846F.jpeg

Pictures by BlogMickey.com on Twitter.

Prototype82

Sad. Keep speaking your mind at guest services. All we can really do is give feedback about our experience and hope something happens.

KBLovedDisney

I've never seen Avatar, but for some reason these lanterns don't really say "Pandora".

I mean, they could have added miniature flicker flame LEDS and grouped them in these lantern thingies that would give off light but look like a group of fireflies gathered in the flowers or something of the sort

Driver

The odd thing is there a bunch of themed light poles that they removed and layed out behind the FOP building. Seems like they've been there forever.

cjkeating

Are we 100% sure this is permanent? Did anyone go the night after?

The reason I say this is that most of the light poles in the pictures above have two lights, a black light at the very top of the pole and then a white light on an arm that goes over the path. Could it just be that for some unknown reason the white lights were turned on?

Tom Morrow

I got to preview Pandora and also visited shortly after opening. I saw this coming a mile away. To be honest it really was originally too dark. I had a hard time seeing my friends and they were not far away.

These lights illuminate only the ground and aren't really that intrusive, though they could be a little better themed.

They could at the very least use a blue light instead of standard white.
They are cool white in person, aka a slight blue-ish tint.

Prototype82

They need to go with a gold light or pink/blue colored lights. I get that it was "too dark" but there is another way to do this without being lazy. If enough people complain, maybe change is possible. Right now it literally looks like someone turned floodlights on. Even the original overhead lantern lights were soft gold. Something needs to be done. Do they know these cost a couple bucks at your local walmart?

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 9.30.59 AM.png

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They need to go with a gold light or pink/blue colored lights. I get that it was "too dark" but there is another way to do this without being lazy. If enough people complain, maybe change is possible. Right now it literally looks like someone turned floodlights on. Even the original overhead lantern lights were soft gold. Something needs to be done. Do they know these cost a couple bucks at your local walmart?

View attachment 297043
There very well might be some minimum standards that have to be met. Lighting is out of my wheelhouse, but the state sets codes and design standards for everything from window height, to the spacing between the balusters on a fence or stair case so it is quite possible that there is a minimum lumen and color temperature required for the lighting for a public area.

docandsix

There very well might be some minimum standards that have to be met. Lighting is out of my wheelhouse, but the state sets codes and design standards for everything from window height, to the spacing between the balusters on a fence or stair case so it is quite possible that there is a minimum lumen and color temperature required for the lighting for a public area.

Hurray for bureacracy!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hurray for bureacracy!
I have to deal with on a daily basis and while it is a pain, it is much better than the option of not having it at all.

Even if it is not mandated by a building code or regulation, national design standards are published by various organizations on everything imaginable. Not meeting the the standards set by a recognized organization opens up the possibility for being held legally liable if something were to occur.

No idea if that is what is going on here, but I can't see them spending money to change something like this in the way that they did unless someone from legal told them to.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is not the new nighttime look. Everyone calm down please. This was a mistake that has flooded the internet and caused (rightfully so) a lot of concern and speculation.
Good to know.

I am assuming this is some kind of lighting mode used for maintenance/emergencies that inadvertently got switched on when guests were there?

EPCOTServo21

There are some requirements that must be met, but with like everything Disney, they’ve added their own unique touch Reedy Creek also sets forth some of their own unique requirements for stuff like this that they must be in compliance with. It’s very complex but pretty interesting!

Prototype82

This is not the new nighttime look. Everyone calm down please. This was a mistake that has flooded the internet and caused (rightfully so) a lot of concern and speculation.
We've seen great things been ruined in our time. We are quick to expect the worst. Even so, the new nighttime look late last year was pretty bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom