Let's Talk Haunted Mansion!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
It has been covered up. Our trainer (back in 2002) had told us it was like, a ring shaped indent in the ground where a stanchion had been.
They put a real ring in when they made over the HM a few years ago -

The original "ring"
ring1.jpg

New ring

ring2.jpg

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I've walked around the exit of the mansion looking for the new ring with no luck. Any easy instructions on where to find it?
It's in the interactive quque. As you walk the line you can see the section with busts over the fence the backs of their heads are towards you. It's on the ground there.

MOXOMUMD

Here's my silly HM story. We got stopped for a few minutes in the hallway and sort of facing the door that rattles like something wants out. After the first minute of laughing because we were stopped, my daughter leans over towards that door and says "Housekeeping!" I asked what she said and she gave me the innocent look. Another minute went by and she leans over again and says "Housekeeping!" and I heard her that time. I chuckled and she asked me to try so I leaned over and said "Housekeeping!" and shrugged my shoulders.

Another minute goes by and my daughter leans towards the door again and says "Housekeeping!" and we suddenly start moving. She leans against the back of the DoomBuggy and says "I'll come back" with a suprised face. We reach the seance room I start to laugh because I realize she was doing the Housekeeper scene from HP Prisoner of Azkaban. (I'm sure other people might have thought I was a lunatic for laughing in HM!) I leaned over to my daughter and told her I caught on to what she was doing. She looks at me solemnly and in her best Madame Leota voice says "I don't know what you're talking about." :joyfull:

Bairstow

Has anyone read the theory on the Haunted mansion?
I haven't rode it since, but i can imagine i wont ride it the same. It makes alot of sense.

Here it is if anyone hasn't read it:
"In the Haunted Mansion at Disney World/Disneyland, "you" commit suicide during the course of the ride and become a ghost.
At the beginning of the ride the ghost host (the narrator) says the only way to escape the mansion is to die, and he shows that he hanged himself. Near the end of the ride there's a moment where the ride vehicle turns around backwards and you go off a balcony, which according to this theory represents you jumping to your death.
Before this part of the ride the ghosts are all trying to scare you, but afterwards they sing excitedly and invite you to party with them. (The Grim Grinnin' Ghosts song.) The only human character in the ride, a groundskeeper, appears after the balcony drop. He faces toward the riders and seems terrified of you.
Could be totally accidental, could be an intentional subtlety by the designers, but either way I've never looked at that ride the same way since."

I'd heard that theory before but not the suicide bit. Since you go over the balcony railing backwards it seems more like an accidental fall. The version I heard has you falling to your death when terrified by the bride's spectre.

mergatroid

Has anyone read the theory on the Haunted mansion?
I haven't rode it since, but i can imagine i wont ride it the same. It makes alot of sense.

Here it is if anyone hasn't read it:
"In the Haunted Mansion at Disney World/Disneyland, "you" commit suicide during the course of the ride and become a ghost.
At the beginning of the ride the ghost host (the narrator) says the only way to escape the mansion is to die, and he shows that he hanged himself. Near the end of the ride there's a moment where the ride vehicle turns around backwards and you go off a balcony, which according to this theory represents you jumping to your death.
Before this part of the ride the ghosts are all trying to scare you, but afterwards they sing excitedly and invite you to party with them. (The Grim Grinnin' Ghosts song.) The only human character in the ride, a groundskeeper, appears after the balcony drop. He faces toward the riders and seems terrified of you.
Could be totally accidental, could be an intentional subtlety by the designers, but either way I've never looked at that ride the same way since."

It could be suicide but Tony Baxter who worked at Disney when the Mansion was built talks about 'falling to your death' on this interesting video. It's 48 minutes long and explores all the scenes (pre 2007 refurb and enhancement) while he explains the thinking behind each scene and the ongoing story along with the variations of the mansion at the other parks. It's worth watching it all but the part where he mentions 'falling to your death' is at the 34:45 point if you want to skip to it.

Bairstow

It could be suicide but Tony Baxter who worked at Disney when the Mansion was built talks about 'falling to your death' on this interesting video. It's 48 minutes long and explores all the scenes (pre 2007 refurb and enhancement) while he explains the thinking behind each scene and the ongoing story along with the variations of the mansion at the other parks. It's worth watching it all but the part where he mentions 'falling to your death' is at the 34:45 point if you want to skip to it.

That's an interesting video, but Baxter is no authority on the creation of the original two Mansions. A lot of what he says seems conflated with elements from Eurodisney's Phantom Manor, which would have been fresh in his mind when this was recorded.

mergatroid

That's an interesting video, but Baxter is no authority on the creation of the original two Mansions. A lot of what he says seems conflated with elements from Eurodisney's Phantom Manor, which would have been fresh in his mind when this was recorded.

I apologise if that is the case, I didn't realise that. Though I must admit on the video he does stumble through some memories but it is fascinating to see the inside of the mansion and hear his thoughts.

He also features on this video about the creation of the original Haunted Mansion in Disneyland which led me to believe he was an authority on it

999doombuggies

I've confessed this story a few times, but not here....

It's been almost 14 years since he passed away, and I miss him terribly. It brings me a very odd and somewhat embarrassing sense of comfort knowing each time I go to the Haunted Mansion, I'm literally visiting his final resting place. I know his ashes are long gone from the elements, landscapers, sweepers, etc...but it's still just a little emotional each time I pass Fred's stone (and yes, that's each time I feel emotional, and I'm in the parks often since I live in Orlando).

My favorite ride is the haunted mansion. I have spent countless hrs enjoying learning more of the ride's history etc. This is one of the most touching stories I have read. I know there are several similar stories but this one really struck me.

sm57co

On my last trip...before getting in line, I decided I needed to use the ladies room. My DH & DS went through the line waiting on me to return. When I arrived back, I proceeded through the line to find they went on without me. Or at least I thought. They apparently went to the RR while I was gone. Although, I've been on this ride several times. It is completely different at night and by yourself, during EMH (empty). It was pretty creepy but still one of my favorite rides.
Haha. Thank you for posting. I took a tour that allowed us access to the ride through a side door. I took a car by myself. I know the ride like the back of my hand but kind of wished someone was in the buggy sitting next to me - even my 10 daughter who closes her eyes the whole time. The pop up tombstone heads get me every time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom