Let's Talk Haunted Mansion!

chaazam

Original Poster
My personal favorite attraction in the Magic Kingdom is that famous Haunted House on the hill! Let's hear your favorite secret, memory, or tip about Magic Kingdom's Haunted Mansion.
2366460934_66e7eb88d0_o.jpg

dis-addict

On my last trip...before getting in line, I decided I needed to use the ladies room. My DH & DS went through the line waiting on me to return. When I arrived back, I proceeded through the line to find they went on without me. Or at least I thought. They apparently went to the RR while I was gone. Although, I've been on this ride several times. It is completely different at night and by yourself, during EMH (empty). It was pretty creepy but still one of my favorite rides.

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

I have read that ashes have been emptied on haunted mansion if I remember it was of a 7 year old boy and the ride had to be closed to clean up but they could just be romurs on the Internet

chaazam

Original Poster
Remnants of Country Bear Jamboree can be found under the track in the seance scene.

(Hint:don't get out of your doombuggy during the seance...it's a long way down!)

Country-Bear-Jamboree-Max2s.jpg

Why? Whats the point of that? I never understood why Disney stores old animatronics in the strangest locations... like old Horizons Animatronics are under the Carousel of Progress... will they be used again? It's not like thats a good way to preserve them.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Why? Whats the point of that? I never understood why Disney stores old animatronics in the strangest locations... like old Horizons Animatronics are under the Carousel of Progress... will they be used again? It's not like thats a good way to preserve them.
I don't think they are trying to preserve anything. They are simply keeping them for parts.

Seabasealpha1

I'm spitballing here, but I'd guess that certain things like this are perhaps kept under the rides because the different types of animatronics require similar generations/types/designs to be cannibalized for parts. Like, perhaps the animatronics in CoP are most similar to those used on Horizons. Same goes for our "decapitated" friend here, who knows what animatronic on the Haunted mansion uses the same motors/gears/wires as the old animatronic. NoT to mention, could just be that there's no storage under the country bear jamboree and that this Melvin head is for spare parts for the one hanging in the attraction. The thing is pretty good sized!

Again, all speculation. I'd love to work there. But I live in Indiana. Therefore...I have very little first-handut insight on this one.

I'll just reiterate. Creepiness bouillon. Makes the haunted soup taste better. It's like Rolly Crump's salad analogy...but with body parts...;) Just be glad there isn't a spare "Buff" head underneath Dumbo...

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The ashes thing is a big mystery. I could see how people would want to do it though. So many people have a strong emotional connection to the Disney Parks. If you Google it (like I just did) you will find newspaper articles about supposed times it was attempted but in every article Disney adamantly denies it. I've got to imagine people have gotten away with it especially if it was just a pinch or two of ashes.

Krazikins

Has anyone read the theory on the Haunted mansion?
I haven't rode it since, but i can imagine i wont ride it the same. It makes alot of sense.

Here it is if anyone hasn't read it:
"In the Haunted Mansion at Disney World/Disneyland, "you" commit suicide during the course of the ride and become a ghost.
At the beginning of the ride the ghost host (the narrator) says the only way to escape the mansion is to die, and he shows that he hanged himself. Near the end of the ride there's a moment where the ride vehicle turns around backwards and you go off a balcony, which according to this theory represents you jumping to your death.
Before this part of the ride the ghosts are all trying to scare you, but afterwards they sing excitedly and invite you to party with them. (The Grim Grinnin' Ghosts song.) The only human character in the ride, a groundskeeper, appears after the balcony drop. He faces toward the riders and seems terrified of you.
Could be totally accidental, could be an intentional subtlety by the designers, but either way I've never looked at that ride the same way since."

Disney Shib

During my training as a CP I was positioned in FL at MK. After we finished our week long training exercise our trainer took us for a late dinner at Columbia Harbor... i'm sure this is something he worked up and has done for all his trainees but it was a really cool moment I will remember always. He sat us near a window that over looked the mansion and told us this really creepy story about how the mansion itself was on the property when Walt purchased it and part of the deal was that he has to leave it there. He went on to say how the son of a wealthy orange grove owner fell in love with one of the mansions maids. They were set to get married and his mother poisoned the girl. Upon hearing the news the son hung himself the night of the wedding in that very mansion and the story was used as a guide for the attraction. Everytime I ride HM this story pops into my head. Although I know it's not true it's really cool to immerse yourself in when riding the attraction, especially at night.

I've confessed this story a few times, but not here....

When my Dad passed away in 1999, we were all unprepared for his death (very unexpected and sudden). My Mom wanted to do "one more family trip" to MK in mid 2000...which, at the time, I should have picked up on what she was saying. We did a few family trips after I had my kiddos, we all lived in the Daytona area, it wasn't far away...

Anyways, we were waiting in line near the graveyard and I saw my Mom suddenly stick her arm through the fence. To my horror (and bemusement), she was dumping out a large baggie of my Dad's ashes as close to the Fred headstone as she could (that was his favorite headstone - every time we went to MK with my Dad, we went to Haunted Mansion first). The moment was both horrifying (dumping human remains, she carried my Dad's remains in a baggie in her purse a good chunk of the day) and emotional (MK was one of the only "happy places" we had as a family, it was in a sense our "last" family trip since she did have his remains, and the last time "he" would be at the Mansion).

I made a joke once on another message board that when I go to the Haunted Mansion, I say hi to my Dad when I'm by the Fred headstone. Was deemed crazy pretty quickly after that (come on guys, it's a joke - and I was also deemed crazy for being there while she dumped the ashes...okay, no idea she was doing that).

It's been almost 14 years since he passed away, and I miss him terribly. It brings me a very odd and somewhat embarrassing sense of comfort knowing each time I go to the Haunted Mansion, I'm literally visiting his final resting place. I know his ashes are long gone from the elements, landscapers, sweepers, etc...but it's still just a little emotional each time I pass Fred's stone (and yes, that's each time I feel emotional, and I'm in the parks often since I live in Orlando).

And for the record, I just about lost my when they were doing the refurb/new graveyard scene and I thought they were going to get rid of Fred. I was seriously crying some ugly tears and scared my husband, and I was thoroughly embarrassed about it. The day that the walls came down and I saw that Fred had just moved a little, I cried tears of joy.

<<slinks back into corner, hiding from embarrassment>>

DancingPhoenix

Last time I was at Disney my boyfriend and I stayed for the extra magic hours at MK, and when they made the announcement the park was closing in 10 minutes we ran (literally, like sprinted) from Space Mountain to the HM. We got in there and asked to be the last people to ride for the night. The CMs had us stand by them and wait until the line was closed off at the front and they let us on.
Let me tell you, it was an entirely different experience. I love the HM and bop along happily with the music and narration. But riding it with no one else around on the last run of the night at 2am... super eerie. It was actually scary at moments, especially in the attic. Definitely something you should try if you're a big fan!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I've confessed this story a few times, but not here....

When my Dad passed away in 1999, we were all unprepared for his death (very unexpected and sudden). My Mom wanted to do "one more family trip" to MK in mid 2000...which, at the time, I should have picked up on what she was saying. We did a few family trips after I had my kiddos, we all lived in the Daytona area, it wasn't far away...

Anyways, we were waiting in line near the graveyard and I saw my Mom suddenly stick her arm through the fence. To my horror (and bemusement), she was dumping out a large baggie of my Dad's ashes as close to the Fred headstone as she could (that was his favorite headstone - every time we went to MK with my Dad, we went to Haunted Mansion first). The moment was both horrifying (dumping human remains, she carried my Dad's remains in a baggie in her purse a good chunk of the day) and emotional (MK was one of the only "happy places" we had as a family, it was in a sense our "last" family trip since she did have his remains, and the last time "he" would be at the Mansion).

I made a joke once on another message board that when I go to the Haunted Mansion, I say hi to my Dad when I'm by the Fred headstone. Was deemed crazy pretty quickly after that (come on guys, it's a joke - and I was also deemed crazy for being there while she dumped the ashes...okay, no idea she was doing that).

It's been almost 14 years since he passed away, and I miss him terribly. It brings me a very odd and somewhat embarrassing sense of comfort knowing each time I go to the Haunted Mansion, I'm literally visiting his final resting place. I know his ashes are long gone from the elements, landscapers, sweepers, etc...but it's still just a little emotional each time I pass Fred's stone (and yes, that's each time I feel emotional, and I'm in the parks often since I live in Orlando).

And for the record, I just about lost my when they were doing the refurb/new graveyard scene and I thought they were going to get rid of Fred. I was seriously crying some ugly tears and scared my husband, and I was thoroughly embarrassed about it. The day that the walls came down and I saw that Fred had just moved a little, I cried tears of joy.

<<slinks back into corner, hiding from embarrassment>>
There are MANY similar stories...don't feel alone.

Has anyone read the theory on the Haunted mansion?
I haven't rode it since, but i can imagine i wont ride it the same. It makes alot of sense.

Here it is if anyone hasn't read it:
"In the Haunted Mansion at Disney World/Disneyland, "you" commit suicide during the course of the ride and become a ghost.
At the beginning of the ride the ghost host (the narrator) says the only way to escape the mansion is to die, and he shows that he hanged himself. Near the end of the ride there's a moment where the ride vehicle turns around backwards and you go off a balcony, which according to this theory represents you jumping to your death.
Before this part of the ride the ghosts are all trying to scare you, but afterwards they sing excitedly and invite you to party with them. (The Grim Grinnin' Ghosts song.) The only human character in the ride, a groundskeeper, appears after the balcony drop. He faces toward the riders and seems terrified of you.
Could be totally accidental, could be an intentional subtlety by the designers, but either way I've never looked at that ride the same way since."
THIS EXPLAINS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

draybook

Last time I was at Disney my boyfriend and I stayed for the extra magic hours at MK, and when they made the announcement the park was closing in 10 minutes we ran (literally, like sprinted) from Space Mountain to the HM. We got in there and asked to be the last people to ride for the night. The CMs had us stand by them and wait until the line was closed off at the front and they let us on.
Let me tell you, it was an entirely different experience. I love the HM and bop along happily with the music and narration. But riding it with no one else around on the last run of the night at 2am... super eerie. It was actually scary at moments, especially in the attic. Definitely something you should try if you're a big fan!

I'm the last rider if possible on every MK night of our trip.

Disney_Musketeer

Long story short.....
I was a CM for Fantasyland the summer of 2007. As some of you remember that was when the HM went down for refurbishment and when they added new scenes.
I was working SM tower (that silly CM that waves to you as you pass under the tower). It was mid afternoon and things were running eerily smooth. Then suddenly as I dispatched a boat the lights at the farwell scene and pumps were shut down. As procedure calls for I called the proper people, and waited, all the while letting the poor "souls" in the ride know we were working on the situation. We eventually had to partially evacuate the ride and had it down till the evening.
It turns out that the power cords for SM and the HM are very close to each other, and when the contractors were snipping wires (I still have no idea why someone would snip wires) they cut the power to SM and snipped them.
The stories we told the quests that day were priceless (in regards to HM ghosts playing games). That is my little HM story. Hope you all enjoy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom