Lets talk about the weather

Nsaudra

Original Poster
What do you do if everyday in the forecast is rain? My kids are really looking forward to the beach, I know it's 10 days away and things change. What did you do on your vacation when it rained. I am not sure about spending 400 (average for the group of 4) a day per park to be rained out. I will take them south to find a beach I just dont want to.

kjb101791

What do you do if everyday in the forecast is rain? My kids are really looking forward to the beach, I know it's 10 days away and things change. What did you do on your vacation when it rained. I am not sure about spending 400 (average for the group of 4) a day per park to be rained out. I will take them south to find a beach I just dont want to.
Rainy days are the best, especially if the rain keeps other people away. Wear sandals so you aren't stuck with wet socks and it shouldn't be that big of a deal. There are minimal attractions outside, other than walking around, so you really can stay almost completely dry if that is the goal. Sometimes rain makes you run into a store or a show you may not have otherwise seen. I'm not trying to sound like I am spinning a negative thing in an overly-positive way, but it usually won't rain the entire day.

UncleMike101

During my trip last August it stormed, not rained but stormed, every day around 2:00PM.
The storms didn't last too long but they were intense with a lot of lightning.
If you just take shelter inside you'll be fine and when the storm passes you will find that a lot of people have left the park.

WelshBatman

I live here... if the rain bothers you then Florida isn't the place for you. It won't derail your Disney vacation as long as it's just rain. If there's lightning, they will shut down the outside rides for a while. The only way it ruins your trip is if you let it.

Going to the beach away from Disney this time of year (Spring Break) is more likely to ruin your trip with waiting in traffic trying to get to the beach.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

It's weird because when I'm out delivering in the rain I never even consider it and we've been dealing with HEAVY flooding in east TN for over a week now and I deliver in a really rural part where the rain has caused some pretty big problems but I don't care a bit about it. HOWEVER, when it rains at Disneyworld it just absolutely infuriates me because it's just my place where I want to "get away" and am always aiming for that "perfect trip". We spend about 24 or days a year there and honestly it probably rains about 2 or so days of every trip because we pretty much are always there for like 8 days at a time but for those 2 days I'm extremely irritable but it doesn't really bother my wife. I honestly admire and envy those whom it doesn't really bother.

Rumrunner

We buy cheap ponchos at the dollar store-they take up little room and when needed just break them out. They have worked great. The last day we usually give them to some other family at the park.

SpaceCoast

Florida has two seasons, the rainy season and the dry season. Rainy season-summer months. Dry season-winter months. Come during the winter when it seldom rains and isn't as hot as a blast furnace.

Herdman

It rained at least part of every day on our May 2018 trip. The only day it was really an inconvenience was the day of thunder storms. Lightning will shut down most of the outdoor attractions. Other than that poncho up and march on!!

NYwdwfan

Your trip is still 10 days away - the forecast will probably change numerous times before you go. Definitely don’t stress about it - if it does rain it won’t be all day.

MickeyCB

During our December trip on our AK day, it rained so hard there was 3-4 inches of rain swirling around drains, it was hilarious. We all wore shoes that we didn't care if they got wet (soaked), and I found 10 pk ponchos on Amazon that were only a few pennies more than the dollar store that had actual sleeves with elastic at the wrists and a string on the hood. (They were amaaaaazing)! They didn't flap around. I will also tell you it was raining so hard that when you were outside it felt like you were under a shower head with plastic on! The rain kept going into my eyes, so I bought a ball cap at AK that I put under the plastic hood and then it was awesome, the rain stayed off of me completely.
And the best part of the day was almost no crowds, it was great!

JIMINYCR

When Ive been approaching our trips, I'll check out the weather forecasts for each day we are on property. Usually it will show a collection of stormy days and I'll start getting upset. But on most trips theyve been less stormier than predicted so everything works out well. When it has rained we just alter oiut plans slightly and still enjoy the day. As others have said, you can still get a lot of things done despite the rain. Whenever its been a particularly stormy day I've targeted EP for that day. Moving through the pavilions and enjoying the inside areas makes the day productive.

Piebald

It's unlikely to rain all day every day. I've lived in Florida all my life and days where it rains literally nonstop are not super common. However, if it rains a lot it should be to your advantage to get to the parks as early as possible. It rarely rains in the mornings unless it's a total washout.

I wouldn't even worry about it until you're actually here. Other than wondering if theres a cold front, a 100% chance of storms if I have an outdoors event I want to attend or hurricane I dont even pay attention to the weather.

Tony the Tigger

Dollar Tree ponchos! They’re disposable. We bring a few per person, per trip - keep one in our cargo pants pocket in the parks, no issues.

As others have said (and I live here as well) Florida rain is usually over very quickly. Every once in a blue moon it will rain all day, but it’s uncommon.

Don’t believe the weather apps as precisely as you might in other places. Being a peninsula, we have weather pushing at us from multiple directions (rather than mostly west to east like much of the country.) Things can and do turn on a dime.

Don’t worry about it, just be prepared, and take it in stride.

MickeyLuv'r

1. Most likely at this point, the forecast says, "chance of rain" each day. I wouldn't put much stock in it.
  2. If it does rain, odds are high it will rain for a short period of time. Ten minutes of rain is nothing, and will have almost zero impact on your day.
  3. A good strategy is to buy some of those $1 plastic ponchos they sell at big box stores. Check the weather report each morning, and if it looks like 30-50% chance of rain, bring the plastic ponchos. They typically fit fine in a pocket. Also be mindful of the type of shoes you are wearing.
  4. If it looks over 50% chance of rain or more solid rain...then bring a jacket or perhaps a more solid rain poncho. You can get these in some big box stores or online. Look for heavy vinyl, and expect to pay more like $5-10 online.
Another option is just to buy them at WDW or any theme park if/when you need them. This costs a few $ more per poncho, but saves you hassle of carrying them (both in your luggage on the way to WDW, and in the parks before you need them.) Plus, if you buy at WDW, WDW will replace any damaged ones for free, if you keep the receipt.

5. Often your best bet is simply to duck into a gift shop/show/attraction for about 10-15 minutes. The small hassle of plastic ponchos is that before you open them, they are very compact, but once you unfold them, well, it is like folding a trash bag. Make that a wet trash bag, that gets musty.

6. We prefer to bring both cheap ponchos and rain jackets to WDW. On days where rain odds are over 50%, we wear the jackets. Mine are the kind that fold into a pocket, so they are quite compact when folded. In a pinch, we also tie them around our waist.

7. Two more things we pretty much always bring are Ziploc bags in all sizes (2.5gallon, gallon, quart, snack) and comfortable, water-tolerant walking sandals. Many folks also like moisture wicking socks.

8. Now is a good time to shop for sandals, jackets, ponchos. In a pinch, you can also find them in FL. Three's an outlet mall near WDW, and also Disney Springs has an inexpensive store called Uniqlo that sells all kinds of jackets and Disney themed shirts.

9. Odds are high you will get at least one nice beach day per week, but this time of year, you might not get more than one good beach day. This time of year, it may well be too cold the rest of the week. Even as late as April we've had whole weeks that were pretty chilly! but also sometimes great weather in February.

10. If you want to be near the beach, but maybe not quite the beach, options include Cape Canaveral (NASA), St Augustine (amazing historic fort + shops , though both are partially outdoors) and Daytona (check for events?). Even closer, there are a number of indoors activities in Orlando. Tampa/Clearwater also has tons of things to do. Even driving the causeways is kind of interesting. Among options in Tampa is an indoor aquarium, museums, and ferries that offer a tour of the bay. Dolphins are often seen in the bay!

If you are willing to brave a 3.5 hour trip (each way), you can tour the Everglades/Big Cypress. You can tour parts of it by car, and they have the Junior Ranger program that is free, and is a pretty unique activity for kids. (most National parks charge a nominal fee to enter, some charge a nominal fee for the JR booklet, but most offer the activity booklet for free.) After kids compete the booklet, they turn it in, take an oath to protect the park, and get a special badge. though it is a bit of a haul to do all in one day.

JohnD

Take ponchos with you. Cheaper. Fewer people in the parks. Rain passes quickly. You’ll actually enjoy yourself more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom