Less discounts at Disney

mickeyminiemom

I for one like the discounts because it allows us to stay longer. For example we were planning a 7 day trip last summer (2011) and then we received a free dining pin so we extended our trip to 14 days where we ended up spending more money than we would have on a 7 day trip. So now we are starting to talk about our next trip in August of 2013 and are hoping for free dinning or the military room discount being continued because we are wanting to try the Polynesian which again would have us spending more money because even with some sort of discount staying at the Polynesian for 9 nights will still cost more than rack room at a mod for 9 nights.

ToTBellHop

Funny ... (or not) ... but I see more riff raff at WDW now with prices higher than ever (discounts or not) than I ever did say 15-20 years ago when it cost a whole lot less to visit, stay, dine etc.

A friend told me tonight that he again noticed (he's a local with family visiting) that WDW crowds appeared a whole lot more like 'riff raff' than the crowds at UNI/IOA this week.
I've noticed it, too, unfortunately. Perhaps Disney has been over-discounting. My only concern with the (seemingly) constant sales is that they kind of cheapen the Disney brand.

Disney has to be careful to not become associated with something like "Always low prices. Always." I'm in no way suggesting Disney is cheap, only that the presence of constant sales could lead one to believe Disney is not worth what they charge (whether or not that is true, it's not an image Disney should promote).

DougK

We were looking to add 2 nights to our vacation at the end of April, we are staying offsite at the Sheraton Vistana Village for 7 nights using a friend's timeshare at a really great rate. We never used to stay offsite but the prices have gotten ridiculous. The non discounted price per night at the Contemporary for a Tower Bay Lake View is $475 per night (insane). The AP discounted rate for the same room, same nights (weeknights by the way) is $470.25 per night. This is for the nights of April 29 and 30 in case you want to see for yourself.

I can barely believe they are discounting such an expensive room by $ 4.75! It was only a year or two ago we would be getting 40% off which made the rate much more reasonable. So now not only are we staying offsite for the first 7 nights, we will stay offsite the final 2 nights also.

The room prices have gotten way out of hand.

It is strange, in this economy my wife and I have been very lucky and have not been laid off or lost our jobs and we feel very fortunate, yet we used to be able to afford staying at the Poly and the Contemporary, now we can't. I guess Disney has found other customers to replace us and I know they have a right to charge whatever rate they want but it just seems sad to me that we can't afford what we used to be able to afford because of the lack of discounting. The AP discounts, while never guaranteed, used to be a nice perk of owning an AP, now we are rethinking whether we even need APs in the future.

MissMorrow

First, many 'locals (both WDW and DL) drive in and spend many days at the resorts. I'm three hours away and have spent two weeks up there and as many as 12 nights in a row at a WDW resort.

This.

Although we take a lot 3-4 days trips instead of long ones.

Oh, we 'locals' also largely kept the lights on in times like the 1991 and 2000-01 recessions and in the 2-3 year post 9/11 period.

Exactly.

DisneyJoe

Oh, we 'locals' also largely kept the lights on in times like the 1991 and 2000-01 recessions and in the 2-3 year post 9/11 period.

You and the many Europeans. I visited a few times each year during 2011-2005, and saw an extremely high percentage of European guests.

The buy 4 get 3 free package deals helped too.

wendysue

The problem is Disney overcharges to begin with. If occupance is flat, that means it isn't working. It just means the people who continue to go can afford to go without discounts...or they may be staying off site. They should be aiming to increase occupancy...and if they stopped raising rates then perhaps they wouldn't have to have strated discounting in the first place.

Exactly! We are going in April and I just cancelled our stay at POP, got a room for a week at a hotel close by, a rental car for a week, and we will still be able to eat....for less than what the room only would have cost at WDW. Don't get me wrong, I love going to Florida and Disney, I just won't pay those rates any longer.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm speaking for us locals, and personal experiences who say "it's that much now, I'm not paying that". There would be a lot more pull. I've heard countless times from people around here/family members "I'd go if it were the same price as 5 years ago when we went".

You don't build a loyal customer base by simply lowering your price. If people are only there because its cheap - they will immediately flee when its no longer the cheapest.

People will pay for value. As long as you ensure there are enough potential customers for that space you are targeting, your job is to convert those customers - not 'expand the market by making the same thing cheaper'.

Doing so is only a short-term fix that doesn't bring you long term success. It starts a downward spiral.

If someone won't buy your product because it's 10% too expensive... they aren't going to be a reliable customer. 10% is nothing - people pay far greater differences simply based on 'brand preference'.

If $10 is breaking someone's decision to not visit WDW.. I would say 'let 'em go'. I'd be more focused on making that customer JUSTIFY spending that $10 more then I would be chasing what lesser amount that customer is willing to pay.

Pull your customers up.. don't chase them to the bottom. Because ultimately customers if they had their way would pay nothing. Then you need to find your revenue from other sources.

They aren't catering to the locals with the resort prices I can tell you that. Grant it, I'm a CM but I can get 50-60% off on rooms here at WDW, but the rates they offer to CM's there are practically rack rate for Grand Floridian here, I shudder to think what regular guests pay at their resorts.

DLR only has 'high end' (if you could call PPH that.. shudder) hotels and leaves the value and moderate market to the non-Disney hotels. They don't have a huge amount of capacity, so there is more contention for the scarce resource = easier to charge more.

Just curious as to the percent of people who pack rack rate on Disney vacations. We have received numerous pin codes this year...from room rate discounts to free dining good through the end of June. I couldn't tell you the last time we paid rack rate for any of our Disney vacations.

Because millions just call up and take the prices offered to them rather then shop around, or have flexibility in when they travel, etc. Think about it, if millions can show up and not know what is even offered in the parks, or basic services they offer like FP, how many do you think spend all the extra time to plan out the best discounts? They figure they want to goto WDW, this is when they can go, they book it.

The 'I never pay more then $200 for a deluxe' crowd always gloss over how much flexibility or compromise they work into their vacations to make such things happen.

janoimagine

People will pay for value. As long as you ensure there are enough potential customers for that space you are targeting, your job is to convert those customers - not 'expand the market by making the same thing cheaper'.

Agree, my only hope is that with the prices returning to normal, things like maintenance, refurbs and shows will return to what they once were.

cabihler

we can fight back we do have the power

the only way...THE ONLY WAY... to change things is to stay off property. it is a radical idea coming from me since ive not stayed off property since november 1988 1 month after the CBR opened. that was our first time staying on property and i have always loved it, it does add to the magic of being at disney for me. having had annual passes for longer than i can remember we would spend 4 to 5 weeks throughout the year in WDW and again on property. obviously, we always took advantage of the annual pass discounts for which there were plenty and having a significant savings.

but if discounts are disappearing for staying on property then the solution is stay off property and still enjoy the parks. if only 50% of the rooms are filled then disney may get the message and start rewarding the people who have always supported disney. i'm not so foolish to believe that it would really be on 50% but hey we can try.

i love disney and i want to spend my money in the parks and in their resorts but please make it affordable again.

donsullivan

Premium Member
We were looking to add 2 nights to our vacation at the end of April, we are staying offsite at the Sheraton Vistana Village for 7 nights using a friend's timeshare at a really great rate. We never used to stay offsite but the prices have gotten ridiculous. The non discounted price per night at the Contemporary for a Tower Bay Lake View is $475 per night (insane). The AP discounted rate for the same room, same nights (weeknights by the way) is $470.25 per night. This is for the nights of April 29 and 30 in case you want to see for yourself.

Not sure how you're booking that but I just got exactly that room type (booked last Friday) for those same 2 nights and only paid $321.75 a night for it. If you're talking directly to Disney, try one of the travel agencies that focus on Disney related travel; they'll likely save you a whole lot of money.

As for the lack of discounts; as others have said, Disney announced that they were going to reduce the amount of it they do almost 2 years ago in one of their earnings calls. While some have discussed scenarios where they might have stayed longer if the price was lower; keep in mind that given their occupancy numbers, somebody else likely took that room at the higher price anyway. So Disney has achieved there goal of increasing the revenue per room night which is a very important way for them to measure financial performance. Their costs are pretty much the same no matter how much you pay for the room so to improve performance, they need to improve their revenue per room night which is what we're all seeing right now.

Yelloweaver

How do you get a PIN code? I have a vacation booked for December and was hoping for some sort of discount.

I see people getting tons of codes but I have not see anything nor do I know where to get it.

thanks!

flynnibus

Premium Member
How do you get a PIN code? I have a vacation booked for December and was hoping for some sort of discount.

I see people getting tons of codes but I have not see anything nor do I know where to get it.

thanks!

They are promotional marketing sent out by Disney - you can't go and get one, only hope Disney's promo machine picks you to send one too.

Just make sure you have registered on Disney's sites and done vacation planning.. that should get you in their contact databases.

janoimagine

thanks!

Best way that I have found is to save the offer your looking at instead of actually booking it and then wait.

Brian Noble

the only way...THE ONLY WAY... to change things is to stay off property.
Indeed.

I have never, not once, paid Disney's rates for a hotel room. If I can exchange one of my inexpensive (non-Disney) timeshares for a DVC unit, I am happy to do so. Otherwise, I'm just as happy to stay in one of the many excellent offsite resorts.

Rowdy

You don't build a loyal customer base by simply lowering your price. If people are only there because its cheap - they will immediately flee when its no longer the cheapest.

Doing so is only a short-term fix that doesn't bring you long term success. It starts a downward spiral.

If someone won't buy your product because it's 10% too expensive... they aren't going to be a reliable customer. 10% is nothing - people pay far greater differences simply based on 'brand preference'.

I agree. I was just stating it. I obviously don't mind how it is, and don't mind paying the price because I continue to shell out money for 5 annual passes every year. :lol: I don't think it should change or anything. Just me posting random thoughts!

Rasvar

They've gone waaay up. I can tell you I used to get AP rates at PPH in 2005-06 frame (when I lived in the area but didn't want to drive home late or wanted a long weekend) in the $69-79 range. Some CM pals recently stayed there and paid close to $200 a night, which is insane. I enjoyed my $50 a night Pricelined room at a nearby Marriott.

But DL is much more capable of getting a larger percentage of people to pay more because there is a scarcity of 'on property' rooms.

WDW has close to 25,000 ... so for everyone rich/dumb enough to pay rack rate for a night at the Poly, there are 3 or 4 people paying 30-50% less depending on time and discount offered.

I have not stayed at a Disney property in California in years because of only being able to find rack or minimally discounted rates. I am fine with a place like Carousel Inn and just walk across the street so I can spend more money on nicer restaurants. (Oh, Blue Bayou Lunchtime Monte Cristo!)

I never pay rack at WDW. But I am also a Floridian, so I can pick and choose. I also have a camper, so Ft. Wilderness is always a less expensive option for me to stay on property.

lt94

Original Poster
Yes Disney is in the buisness for profit. As far as discounts look at where all the money is comming from So America, Brazil, Caribbean and UK or outside the US we all see the brightly colored shirts, well they get a good discount for a disney trip even in Disney finanatals it is addressed as someware between 30% or more of money from these areas. Remember this long term money, these visitors sometimes don't even rent cars that means they depend on Disney for everything thats one of the reasons Disney has airport transportation ie busses to get them into the property then they spend $$$

locals have cars to get off property lol

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree. I was just stating it. I obviously don't mind how it is, and don't mind paying the price because I continue to shell out money for 5 annual passes every year. :lol: I don't think it should change or anything. Just me posting random thoughts!

The lesson is.. you can't bother listening and adapting to people that aren't your audience.

So if someone said 'Man, I would goto WDW all the time if they had as many coasters as Cedar Point' - you might hear it a lot, but it's not really worth enabling :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom