Legoland Florida reaction

Superstretch

Original Poster
I haven't seen this addressed so far, but as many are aware Legoland opened yesterday about 45 minutes from WDW. Has anyone attended yet? Any first hand thoughts? What do you think this means, if anything, about theme park competition? I understand this park is marketed solely to 2-12 year-olds, but reactions have been good from most age groups as I understand. The Saint Pete Times had this to say:

"The big challenge is tapping the Orlando theme park market, which is a 45-minute drive away. Legoland runs shuttle buses to Orlando hotels and expects to enhance package-ticketing opportunities once Merlin opens a Madame Tussauds, a Sea Life Aquarium and a 425-foot observation wheel in Orlando in 2013 in the hopes of becoming a multiday resort itself like Disney.

There is already friction. Lego is forbidden from selling tickets or posting ads for Legoland at its company-owned Lego store at Downtown Disney. Walt Disney World, in the meantime, is spending more to double the size of Fantasyland than Merlin spent on Legoland to appeal to the same crowd.

In fact, the biggest Florida city conspicuously absent from Miniland is Orlando, although there is room for expansion."

Discuss:)

InsiderImagine

I live not even 5min from Legoland...and the parking lot was packed yesterday as I drove by...however, today as I drove past it, the parking lot was half-filled...hope it does extremely well...this part of town needs some attention.

_Scar

My reaction

55qebo.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Legoland are charging $75 for an adult admission, that is just $10 less than the Magic Kingdom.

When you look at the sheer number and quality of attractions of say the Magic Kingdom vs Legoland, it is just no comparison. Then factor in the shows, parades fireworks of MK. Wow.

I think Legoland should be priced in the area of Gatorland to survive. We'll see.

NYwdwfan

We're going in November. My kids are 5 & 7 and really into Legos so we added a day to the Orlando trip and are going to spend a day there. A short day, since the park is only open 10 AM - 5 PM. I'm thinking it will be next to empty and we can run thru it. It does look pretty cute on the website - but I'm not expecting much so hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised.

maxairmike

Legoland are charging $75 for an adult admission, that is just $10 less than the Magic Kingdom.

When you look at the sheer number and quality of attractions of say the Magic Kingdom vs Legoland, it is just no comparison. Then factor in the shows, parades fireworks of MK. Wow.

I think Legoland should be priced in the area of Gatorland to survive. We'll see.

This park is going to be heavy on the locals for the first few years. The number of annual and lifetime passes that they've sold to date took them by surprise. Once the infrastructure and tourist trap options in Winter Haven have improved (more/better hotels, better traffic management, etc.), and some more attractions and the opening of the water park have occurred they will be set up for success.

Don't underestimate the drawing power of the Lego brand, as well as the current local enthusiasm for the park.

NYwdwfan

They are, but there have been a lot of coupons/discounts available:

- Free admission for Lego VIP members thru 10/31
- 20% off admission coupon in Southwest Spirit Magazine
- Free child admission with a paid adult using a code from Pepsi (this is the one I did, buying tickets for my husband/son and then my daughter/me in 2 separate transactions to get 2 free kid tickets)

Other Lego parks have a coupon in the Lego Club magazine (free subscription) for a free child ticket with an adult purchase, so Florida may be included in that offer now that it's open.

So while they are priced similar to Disney, you can get in for less. I would not pay $280 for my family of 4 to go for a day for those limited hours (and take a precious day away from Disney!) but for $130 (I bought the tickets at a $10 discount before the park opened) I'll check it out.

Time will tell if it can sustain itself.

TP2000

The Legoland Florida ticket prices are on par with their other parks, and Legoland Florida actually opened with a more fleshed out attraction roster thanks to some of the previous Cypress Gardens rides they were able to re-use.

Legoland California in Carlsbad is about 60 minutes south of Disneyland, right on the same 5 Freeway that goes past Disneyland. The ticket prices in California have a similar spread to the Florida parks;

1 Day - 1 Park Tickets
Legoland California - $69
Disneyland - $80

That's an eleven dollar spread. Nearly identical to the ten dollar spread in Florida.

As for Legoland Florida... it looks like the typical Legoland. It's surprising how well they've been able to re-brand and re-theme the existing Cypress Gardens. They built Legoland California from scratch on virgin land, but they've done a really nice job in overlaying their usual Legoland facilities on a mature, existing park like Cypress Gardens.

It's going to be a real struggle for them to get people to drive down there from the Orlando resorts though. Legoland California is located in the hills above the beaches of the upper-middle class suburbs of northern San Diego County, just off the 12-lane I-5 superfreeway, and just up the hill from the Carlsbad train station where over three dozen passenger trains stop each day. Legoland Florida doesn't have any of that infrastructure to rely on. They'll really have to work to get tourists to drive down there to the tune of a few million per year.

TP2000

I hope it's better than the Legoland in Grapevine Mills in Grapevine Tx. That place is a joke.

That is not a theme park, it's a "Legoland Discovery Center"; basically a glorified birthday party center at a shopping mall.

They also have them in malls in Atlanta, Chicago, Kansas City, etc.

CaptainShortty

I LOVED the Legoland out in California and am really excited to hopefully get down to the Florida one soon. Don't know to much about it but a former coworker got a job there and I've seen some of her pictures. Looks like it's going to be a cool place.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

I have to agree with you somewhat. While Lego is a premium brand that warrants a premium price, the combination it being an untested entity in Florida, with its location far from the other parks and lack of attractions make it definitely seem overpriced.

I wouldn't go overboard and say they should charge $20 like Gatorland, but they should maybe go down to $40-50.

maxairmike

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I think the biggest reason we've heard of any price complaints is because it takes some effort (and therefore extra $$) to get to. If it was in Orlando you wouldn't hear a peep about it being too expensive outside of the normal reaction when Disney/Uni/SeaWorld raise their gates.

That said, I still don't think their price is too high. The break point for profit is actually probably closer to what Disney and Universal are charging. I've also noticed a general trend when anything new opens; everyone thinks it is too expensive unless it's close to or straight up free. That's why so many places tend to have such crazy opening deals. Give it away at the start to keep them hooked. There's really no need to do this if your product is compelling, which I think the park is.

Crockett

Banned

Exactly^
Legoland (imo) will not be able to survive against Disney. Location, distance, you name it. The quality Disney has over it is astounding...yet the price of an admission are close to the same. :shrug:
I just don't get it, and do predict the place closing it's gates within 5 yrs at tops.

Disney owns central Fla tourism.

Oriolesmagic

Exactly^
Legoland (imo) will not be able to survive against Disney. Location, distance, you name it. The quality Disney has over it is astounding...yet the price of an admission are close to the same. :shrug:
I just don't get it, and do predict the place closing it's gates within 5 yrs at tops.

Disney owns central Fla tourism.

Harry Potter says hi.

Crockett

Banned
Harry Potter says hi.
:lol: Okay...Disney AND Potter.
Gotta admit as a skeptic, Potter was surprisingly refreshing. More on that later in a trip report which I'm too lazy right now to write up.

But yeah, Potter & Disney are far more worth the $$$ you pay than Legoland. That's for now, as I'm sure LL will expand over the years to fit the high price accordingly. But for now, just not worth $75.

TP2000

So.... Legoland Florida.

It opened months ago, but I just don't hear anyone mentioning it anymore. I wonder how they are doing down there at Cypress Gardens? :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom