Legend of Sleepy Hollow Ride?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
DisneyFreak529 said:
Well seing as most of Disney's attractions are based on charaters or movies that came out a long time ago. Like (Snow White & Peter Pan & Mr. Toad & Dumbo).

I think that you might not know what your taking about Hakunamatata! They have lots of room for it!!!

First, those rides were built long ago. Its not like those rides were just put up. As I said, they already removed WDW's Mr. Toad, so they don't want to promote that release any further. Using that as an example is horribly inaccurate, since they've since removed it. The other three are considered classic movies. "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad" was never, ever considered to be a classic release.

Second, he wasn't refering to available space when he said "where would they put it?" He meant that there is nowhere to put it that it would fit the theme of the area. He DOES know what he's talking about, as he has proven with many posts.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
In addition, that mountain you are referring to full of AA's is based on a movie I would argue 75% of the people coming to WDW have never seen or heard of since its been locked away in Disney's vault. Second, many of the succesful attractions like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, were not based on movies to begin with. This is the exact reason I hate to see so many attractions tied to a movie. I can understand in Fantasyland since that land is based more on Magic than any other and has a closer tie in to the Princess Fairytails etc.... Actually Pooh would be more appropriate in Liberty Square, but they put it where the majority of the kids would be, Fantasyland.

(PS, thanks Thrawn if you were referring to me.....)

Epcot82Guy

Trust me. I am hugely against pointless movie tie-ins. However, if a solid story and attraction could be created around a film, I say go for it. Ichabod Crain would provide an excellent story IMHO that could be a solid attraction. I have a problem when they use a current, popular character in cardboard cut-out overload just to "overhaul" (and ruin) an attraction that used to be spectacular. Disney does best by telling timeless stories (see Splash, Pirates, etc.) Many of the new tie-ins, however, will be very shortlived with popularity. It's how one tells the story, not the popularity of the story in the theatre, I guess.

mrtoad

Even if there were space in Fantasyland and it was based on a newer movie not one that has already had an attraction removed (sadly for me) as Thrawn correctly pointed out, I don't think it would be a good idea to place it there. Fantasyland is mainly for kids. Not just for kids I know but it is the section (along with Mickey's Toontown Fair) where most parents with young children can taken them with no problems for the most part. The witch in Snow White's Scary Adventures is scary enough for little kids, but the Headless Horseman would be over the top in my oppinion. That is one scary thing for a little kid, I don't think it would be a good idea to put there....

iangiles

well...

Actually I have been sitting on a concept for a long time now for a sleepy hollow land. This is just something i've been working on for fun, making sketches, storylines etc.

I think the Ledgend of Sleepy Hollow should not be viewed as a Disney movie but as an american folk tale, therefore placed in liberty square. Better yet, tom sawyer island. A large, creepy bridge could be built over the river (a draw bridge) and the tom sawyer theme could be removed from the island. The island could then become the town of sleepy hollow. (think tim burton). The main attraction on the island would then be a ride based on the headless horseman.

The ride would be a Indy/Dinosaur style ride system. The vehicle would be an old carriage. (In the climax of the ride the carriage roof would get torn right off). Imagine starting in the town and slowly entering the foggy dark woods and hearing strange noises in the distance as a narrator talks to you about the ledgend of the horseman. When the vehicle finally spots him, it takes off (think test track speed) through a bumpy crash course through the forest as the horseman chases you down. That's a real basis of the ride idea.

The island would have a few shops and cafes, places to sit and watch the river. Of course it would have a forested area to walk around in as well.

Best of all, I would love to see this at night, lots of dimly lit lanterns!

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Sorry iangiles, but your idea doesn't work for one simple reason: How would you explain a giant paddleboat going constantly around the "town"? Something like that breaks theming too much to suspend disbelief.

mrtoad

Thrawn said:
Sorry iangiles, but your idea doesn't work for one simple reason: How would you explain a giant paddleboat going constantly around the "town"? Something like that breaks theming too much to suspend disbelief.

Also the island is not that big I think for what is being proposed. I don't think as a scary ride the concept of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a bad thing. I do think basing it on skinny comical Icabod Crane from the Disney cartoon is a bad thing and placing a dark ride on it in Fantasyland is a bad idea as well...

Hobnail Boot

If a "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" dark ride was made, the obvious choice for a location would be Liberty Square. Sleepy Hollow takes place back in colonial times and it is a timeless American tale, thus making it the perfect fit for Liberty Square.

Think about the finale: Your carriage is being chased by the Headless Horseman through a creepy forest. Imagine that! Awesome idea IMO. Too bad Disney axed this ride in favor of copies. :(

DisneyFreak529

RCT2 Imagineer said:
If a "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" dark ride was made, the obvious choice for a location would be Liberty Square. Sleepy Hollow takes place back in colonial times and it is a timeless American tale, thus making it the perfect fit for Liberty Square.

Think about the finale: Your carriage is being chased by the Headless Horseman through a creepy forest. Imagine that! Awesome idea IMO. Too bad Disney axed this ride in favor of copies. :(

I think that idea is great!!

MartyMouse

RCT2 Imagineer said:

Yes I agree however the Haunted Mansion has all the spooks that Liberty Square can handle, in my humble opinion, Sleepy Hollow is another Disney classic that has been forgotten about in favor of the “new classics” and it’s sad that these great characters are left in the past. The Disney parks are where the classics are to be kept alive and fresh for new generations to discover, not just to promote the latest movie or video release. If Disney is ever to consider re-visiting Sleepy Hollow perhaps they could work it into the designs of one of their new parks (Hong Kong perhaps?).

captcanada

The concept and idea of this ride is nice. I can picture it well.
Sadly though, I think the likelyness of it ever happening is nil.
But....It is a wonderful fantasy.

KentB3

stitchcastle said:
where would you put it? Fantasyland or somewhere themed to spooky things.

why would you want to? They could tie it in to an anniversary or re-release of the original. Or for special occassions like maybe hype up the park for halloween. When Disneyland's Fantasyland was made over they popped in the Alice in Wonderland dark ride, they could do the same thing to WDW, especially with the rumoured addition of Bald Mountain in Fantasyland which would usher in the possibilyt of a villain themed land, Ichabod would be a perfect fit.

Actually, the Alice in Wonderland dark ride was in Disneyland's Fantasyland long before the 1982-83 rehab; it was added in 1958, three years after Disneyland opened. Pinocchio's Daring Journey was the dark ride added during the 1982-83 remodeling of Fantasyland, where the old Fantasyland Theatre was originally.

Just thought you'd like to know! :animwink:

spies13

Original Poster
Why is everybody so against this idea. Are you gonna tell me that if they designed a Sleepy hollow ride at the Magic Kingdom (similar to the indiana jones ride) that it wouldn't be a HUGE hit? WHO CARES THAT ITS AN OLD CARTOON. It quite frankly is one of the best animated disney shorts i have ever seen and the story is as timeless as any other disney stories. I particularly like the one idea of getting rid of Tom Sawyer Island and making it the town of Sleepy Hollow. Also a Bald Mountain Ride/Theme would be amazing as well.

Disney needs to get back to the classics. A dark ride for Alice in Wonderland or Sleeping Beauty wouldnt be such a bad idea either.

I really don't like the direction the whole disney company is taking for the last 2 decades. This goes for their movies, disney channel, theme parks and everything else. It needs to change soon.

stitchcastle

KentB3 said:
Actually, the Alice in Wonderland dark ride was in Disneyland's Fantasyland long before the 1982-83 rehab; it was added in 1958, three years after Disneyland opened. Pinocchio's Daring Journey was the dark ride added during the 1982-83 remodeling of Fantasyland, where the old Fantasyland Theatre was originally.

Just thought you'd like to know! :animwink:

Anyway, I really love that idea of turning Tom Sawyer Island into Sleepy Hollow, that would be awesome!!!

stitchcastle

iangiles said:
Actually I have been sitting on a concept for a long time now for a sleepy hollow land. This is just something i've been working on for fun, making sketches, storylines etc.

I think the Ledgend of Sleepy Hollow should not be viewed as a Disney movie but as an american folk tale, therefore placed in liberty square. Better yet, tom sawyer island. A large, creepy bridge could be built over the river (a draw bridge) and the tom sawyer theme could be removed from the island. The island could then become the town of sleepy hollow. (think tim burton). The main attraction on the island would then be a ride based on the headless horseman.

The ride would be a Indy/Dinosaur style ride system. The vehicle would be an old carriage. (In the climax of the ride the carriage roof would get torn right off). Imagine starting in the town and slowly entering the foggy dark woods and hearing strange noises in the distance as a narrator talks to you about the ledgend of the horseman. When the vehicle finally spots him, it takes off (think test track speed) through a bumpy crash course through the forest as the horseman chases you down. That's a real basis of the ride idea.

The island would have a few shops and cafes, places to sit and watch the river. Of course it would have a forested area to walk around in as well.

Best of all, I would love to see this at night, lots of dimly lit lanterns!

I Love You.

This would also give MK the rights to have a kick- Halloween celebration.

They could even have the Sanderson Sisters' house (from Disney's Hocus Pocus) and lots of other creepy stuff, plus if you factor in the proximity of the Haunted Mansion and build "Shadowland" around the area where the skyway station used to be it would turn the place into a fantastically spooky place. That would be soooo cool!

iangiles

heheh

thank you i love you too stitchcastle.

actually i have an idea for the riverboat as well, i would simply darken it up a little bit. not too much, but just add a little more black and gold to it. less white.

also, yes i realize the space issue on tom sawyer island. but right now it takes up most of the park when you factor in the river. so basically i would propose to build the ride itself outside the berm (perhaps a tunnel or something?!) i don't know, and really logistics don't matter. after all, it's disney. $ + ideas = anything.

i think with EE disney is proving that they can infact build rides that have nothing to do with movies. Sleepy Hollow is a great american folk tale that can be spun in any way, creepy or charming. Also, disney has proved with ToT that they are not scared to creep people out.

Epcot82Guy

I agree completely. I actually think this would be a great chance to create a signature attraction and save the tie-in for merchandising or a restaurant or play area (for the kiddies while big brother or sister ride). I think a hybrid version could be very cool (meaning like HMH in that you have cartoon characters interspersed among "real" characters). Have Ichabod be a realized cartoon character being chased by an intensified and realistic headless horseman. I think it could have a great chance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom