Leaving the kids at home?

Andrew M

Original Poster
Hi, so we have 3 kids, 5,4&2. We've been to Disney 3 times in the past 2 years for varying lengths of stay and always end up exhausted afterwards and missing out on some restaurants and bars that we really wanted to check out but couldn't.

My wife and I wanted to take a weekend trip to Disney's Vero Beach resort without kids in August, but this slowly morphed from 2-3 nights at Vero and maybe 1 day in the parks to 3 nights at Boardwalk with a 2-day hopper 🙄 Now, we definitely would love a trip without the kids and they don't do well in the heat, so late-August would be a bad idea with them anyway. The kids would be at Grandma and Grandpa's in the Poconos and would be having a blast. However, I'm starting to feel guilty about going without them, and we definitely wouldn't be able to let them find out where we went or they'd be heartbroken.

So my question is: fellow parents, have you ever done a quick WDW trip without kids? Did you enjoy it or ended up feeling guilty the whole time?

ppet

My wife and I have done it a couple of times over the years. It was really great. I think the first time our kids were in the 10 to 12 year range. They weren't upset but we had to bring them back a cool souvenir. We've done it for our anniversary trip twice. I highly recommend it.

Weather_Lady

I might feel differently if you were going away for a week or so (or if your kids had never been to WDW), but you're talking about a weekend getaway -- the kind that every married couple ought to have now and then, whatever the destination. (DH and I took a cruise when our son was small -- he stayed with his doting aunt and uncle and had the time of his life! He didn't even seem to miss us.) The kids will have a ball with their grandparents, and you and your wife can have some time to relax and recharge. Everybody wins!

If you really feel guilty about "depriving" the kids of the sweaty joys of an August trip to Florida, ;) then before you leave, you can set a date for your next family trip to WDW - so instead of spending the weekend thinking, "oh, the kids would have loved this," you can tell yourself, "the kids will be seeing this later this year, and I think they will love it!"

DisneyFreak

jaklgreen

I leave the kids at home every year and go to WDW. I have been doing this for the last 8 years. They are now 17& 18 years old and they do not care. They know that I love going for the Food and Wine fest and that, just because I am a mom, does not mean that I should give up doing things that I love. They go every year and are in no way deprived of anything in their lives. I do not feel an ounce of guilt, nor should you. Going away with your spouse is important too. Your kids will grow up and have their own lives and it will be just the 2 of you. It is important to keep your relationship strong. Plus, being spoiled by grandma and grandpa is something every kids should experience if they can.

Andrew M

Original Poster
If you really feel guilty about "depriving" the kids of the sweaty joys of an August trip to Florida, ;) then before you leave, you can set a date for your next family trip to WDW - so instead of spending the weekend thinking, "oh, the kids would have loved this," you can tell yourself, "the kids will be seeing this later this year, and I think they will love it!"

Yeah, I think I'm liking this approach. We're planning a Disneyland Trip with the gang for early 2020, so close enough.. thanks!

MagicalMommy

Yes!! I’d taken my kids on Disney vacations several times (and as you noted, you’ve taken yours a few times too) before our adults only trip so I really didn’t feel too guilty. It’s so nice to experience the parks, dining, etc at your own leisure — obviously a totally different experience. We just told our kids we were going to Florida and didn’t mention Disney World. During our trip I did realize how much I love seeing the magic from my kids’ perspective on our vacations, but I’d go again just the two of us for sure!

correcaminos

Not like that, but only because my DH wouldn't care to do Disney if it were just us. We also tour differently so that we feel like we aren't missing out. Sure some of it is about the offspring, but not always.

So in your case I'd do it and not feel guilty. I'd also rethink some of your plans in the future with the kids so you don't feel so worn out when you return :)

BoarderPhreak

GO. Have a good "mommy/daddy trip" guilt-free. They'll have a great time with the grandparents. But yeah, don't tell them you went to WDW.

We've done two week-long trips without our DD, but were overseas. If we go to WDW, she's coming. 😛

DrummerAlly

Hi, so we have 3 kids, 5,4&2. We've been to Disney 3 times in the past 2 years for varying lengths of stay and always end up exhausted afterwards and missing out on some restaurants and bars that we really wanted to check out but couldn't.

My wife and I wanted to take a weekend trip to Disney's Vero Beach resort without kids in August, but this slowly morphed from 2-3 nights at Vero and maybe 1 day in the parks to 3 nights at Boardwalk with a 2-day hopper 🙄 Now, we definitely would love a trip without the kids and they don't do well in the heat, so late-August would be a bad idea with them anyway. The kids would be at Grandma and Grandpa's in the Poconos and would be having a blast. However, I'm starting to feel guilty about going without them, and we definitely wouldn't be able to let them find out where we went or they'd be heartbroken.

So my question is: fellow parents, have you ever done a quick WDW trip without kids? Did you enjoy it or ended up feeling guilty the whole time?

Our kids are 6, 4, and 18 months so I'm in your boat. Leave them at home and run!!!! We are taking the two big kids for a 5 day trip in August and leaving the baby with Grandma, which also has me feeling a bit guilty, but we'll get over it. I'm absolutely hoping to take an adult only trip one day soon.

jaklgreen

GO. Have a good "mommy/daddy trip" guilt-free. They'll have a great time with the grandparents. But yeah, don't tell them you went to WDW.

We've done two week-long trips without our DD, but were overseas. If we go to WDW, she's coming. 😛

I don't agree with the not telling them. They will find out and it is worse to be lied to then to know up front. My parents lied to us about many things growing up and none of us respect them for it. I was always up front with my kids when I went on my trips to WDW without them. They know that is just something I do and have never had an issue with it.

BoarderPhreak

I don't agree with the not telling them. They will find out and it is worse to be lied to then to know up front. My parents lied to us about many things growing up and none of us respect them for it. I was always up front with my kids when I went on my trips to WDW without them. They know that is just something I do and have never had an issue with it.
I didn't say lie to them. 😉

Andrew M

Original Poster

We're just going to tell them we're going on a mommy-daddy trip and leaving it at that. My oldest loses his mind if he finds out I went to a hockey game without him after work, so telling them we're going to Disney World without them would be terrible.

If they were older and could completely comprehend that parents need breaks every once and a while, then yes I agree with you. But these are the same kids that believe a large anthropomorphic rabbit will be leaving them treats next Sunday morning, so we'll make sure they're nice and spoiled at Grandma & Grandpas and too distracted to care where we are for a couple of days.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
My youngest would get upset every time I had to go to Disney for work and I couldn't take her. She still does and she's going on 27! Adults definitely need some time for themselves and a long weekend away sounds great!

Pam

Andrew M

Original Poster
So an update, the kids discovered 'Surprise Disney World Trip Reveal' videos on youtube. My wife and I caved and decided to turn it into a surprise trip, and do a trip weekend trip without the kids elsewhere.

But atleast this will be more on the relaxing side than the usual 7-day park hopper death march with aunts, uncles, and grandparents in tow and table service reservations for 12. Four nights at Boardwalk, 2-day park hopper and a Halloween party, and checkout just in time to miss Star Wars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom