Leaving a young child out of a Disney trip

Takeitforgranite

My wife and I are WDW veterans with no children of our own, but we are well aware of the challenges of bringing a child that isn't old enough to walk on their own all day. We are also well aware of the added expense and difficulty of parties of 5.

We started fostering 3 girls a few months ago, and the youngest is 6. They all have limited experience with traveling, and I don't think the 6 year old is ready for WDW at all. The two of us purchased AP's last summer because we had no plans to foster children. We had to cancel an October trip, and it doesn't look like we will be able to get back until this summer. We're going to try to do a trial run at Dollywood or Silver Dollar City this spring to see how they handle it, but I am very doubtful that the 6 year old will have the stamina to do WDW for a week. I am am also concerned about the extra expense when you go from a family of 4 to 5.

One option would be to leave the 6 year old behind. It may sound a little cold, but that may be the best option for everyone in the end. I just don't want to spend $5 grand and everyone be miserable. Does anyone have any creative ideas with how to deal with smaller kids besides just sucking it up and taking them anyway?

Sneezy62

It is quite wonderful that you are giving your heart and time to three little girls! My wife and I fostered a number of children before our own came along. We were asked by a teen to adopt her son at birth. A few months later we took an emergency placement of a little girl who had suffered brain trauma... she eventually became our daughter. we found out we were pregnant on our sons first birthday. Zero to three in 20 months. It was hard and we faced a lot of decisions in those first few years. Trust your heart.

We just got back from their first Disney trip. At 9,7 and barely 5 they all had a great time. No stroller needed.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

We took our oldest son the first time when he was 1. We took our youngest son the first time when he was 4 months old. Neither, of them, of course, remember that specific trip. But they all accumulate the joy of being together at a happy place.

Upvote 0

donaldtoo

When I first read the title of this thread I thought it might have been referring to probably a 2-year-old-ish child, not as old as 6.
I first went to DL when I was 6 and remember a bunch, and on our first family trip to WDW our 3 kiddos were 6, 8, and the oldest turned 10 while we were there. We could never have even imagined leaving our 6-year-old behind.
I say take the whole famn damily ;) and make forever memories...!!! :)
JMO.....

Upvote 0

graphite1326

My wife and I are WDW veterans with no children of our own, but we are well aware of the challenges of bringing a child that isn't old enough to walk on their own all day. We are also well aware of the added expense and difficulty of parties of 5.

We started fostering 3 girls a few months ago, and the youngest is 6. They all have limited experience with traveling, and I don't think the 6 year old is ready for WDW at all. The two of us purchased AP's last summer because we had no plans to foster children. We had to cancel an October trip, and it doesn't look like we will be able to get back until this summer. We're going to try to do a trial run at Dollywood or Silver Dollar City this spring to see how they handle it, but I am very doubtful that the 6 year old will have the stamina to do WDW for a week. I am am also concerned about the extra expense when you go from a family of 4 to 5.

One option would be to leave the 6 year old behind. It may sound a little cold, but that may be the best option for everyone in the end. I just don't want to spend $5 grand and everyone be miserable. Does anyone have any creative ideas with how to deal with smaller kids besides just sucking it up and taking them anyway?
We started going when my youngest was 6. He handled it quite well. We did what you want to do and had trial run. It worked out fine. Actually he was more daring than his older brother and rode some scarier rides he was tall enough for. He had a blast. Only draw back. he fell asleep on the bus back to the resort and I carried him to our room. But it was worth it. Like others have said, it would be devastating to a 6 year old that has all ready had a tough life if she is left behind.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

If you can't afford to take them all then don't take them. Will the 6 yr old maybe slow you down a bit or have a few melt downs? Possibly, but then dealing with that and being considerate of that is what a parent does. Trust me the look on their face will make it worth it. In terms of cost consider renting a DVC unit. Most sleep 5 and you can save some cash.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Check out renting a house with a pool nearby! If you research enough you will find them for as low as $99/night That's worth the price if I had a family!

Try amoma.com or otel.com Two of my favorite sites Also booking.com

Upvote 0

imsosarah

6 is not really considered a "smaller" kid by Standards - And know that the "trial runs" are very different as the other parks are not always designed and set up in the same way. We did a different park and it was night and day to the experiences we had. 4-6 is really the perfect age as they still see the magic the older kids seem to lose. If the 6 year old is really small, you could do an unbrella stroller but I don't think that would be necessary.

Some other things to be mindful of:
*Don't try to rush drag the kids ride to ride without giving them time for breaks. There are play areas all over set up for them to just get energy out. Ideally, an extra day on the trip so you don't feel like you "have to get the value" - an extra day of tickets are sometimes 10 more. A few hours in the pool in the afternoon work wonders!!
*Use fast passes in a really thoughtful way - and get to the park at opening no matter how much kids want to sleep in - so you can get on the rides you couldn't do fast passes for and aren't forcing them to sit in lines.
*Let them be kids while they are there - run, play, laugh, explore, just slow down. Find the "hidden mickeys" try to do adventures. You'll find it is the little stuff the kids remember and adore.
*your attitude and approach will help lead and guide the kids - if you are dreading it, they will feel the stress and create more stress.
*A 6 year old can go on pretty much every ride. There may be a handful you can't but then you get rider swap, its maybe 3-4 and by 6 I think we could go on everything.

As for cost - there are numerous room options for 5 without having to get a suite. I see a lot of people doing the Art of Animation but we have found that to be more than a moderate hotel that sleeps 5 sometimes. We have gone with 5 taking my (much younger) little brother and had 3 kids from 2-12 and we loved it - I wouldn't have changed it and the cost for a 6 year old is half an adult. I would also run the numbers because the onsite is also often cheaper when you have 5 becuase of cost of car rental or larger uber and back and forth to get to park. We usually do dining plan when the kids were smaller because we did more character meals, etc - so run the numbers on that. Alternatively, there are a lot of options that are good and affordable (not burgers, etc) in the parks and hotels. When we don't do dining plans we just throw some snacks in a bag to take in the park with us and we pack them from home.

A 6 year old is of an age where they will feel left out. If you are talking about a child that is already a foster child the abandonment and issues will only be compounded. I would have a lot of hesitation leaving one child out like that and as a parent I would advise against it.

Upvote 0

aliceismad

I said I wouldn't be back, but this has been bothering me all day. I've been trying to come up with a reason for legitimately asking this. Perhaps the OP is a park commando and is bothered by the idea that a 6 yo could not handle rope drop to park close? Seriously, though, can anyone handle a full week of park commando? Maybe people with more stamina, and less interest in relaxing, than me?

Honestly, I couldn't imagine a more magical addition to a trip than being able to see the parks through the eyes of a "smaller" child, even at the cost of a few rides or a few hours of park time.

I have a work mate who left one of his five children at home while the rest of the family went to Universal. This was done for health reasons, primarily, so there was a viable reasoning. But it was still painful for all the family members involved, one way or another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Crazydisneygirl

4 years ago I went with my hubby and our 12 year old. Our 20 year old daughter was outraged we would attend without her. So we ended up taking her too. Fastforward 4 years and my hubby and I wanted an adult only Disneyworld for our anniversary. We decided our now 16 year old would never forgive us, so we took him too. My daughter who was 24 started to say something but was reminded she is now married and went to Disney Paris on her honeymoon and I did not go with them :)

I say take the 6 year old. I have taken both my kids when young - daughter was 4 on first trip and son was 5. Both did well. Just need to slow things down and be reminded you cant do it all. Seeing the wonder in their faces is magical

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom