Le Cellier all to ourselves

CAV

Original Poster
Wow that is truly awesome! This is exactly the type of unique experiences I look forward to on our upcoming trip. Surely the low capacity at WDW parks is one of the silver linings we can find in this pandemic year that 2020 has turned out to be.

The other silver lining has to be the private movie parties that Cinemark is offering right now.
Well, on the other hand, we ate at the Whispering Canyon Cafe and waiting 17 minutes before our server even said, "hello."

mousedroid

That reminds me of a time my girlfriend and I were in San Diego for Comic-Con and the same thing happened to us. We went to a fairly fancy and very eclectic restaurant called Kelvin in a hotel in downtown San Diego.

We were seated around 6:30 PM and there wasn't another soul in the place. It was small, but probably still had a capacity of 60 or so diners. We ordered drinks, then appetizers, and eventually our meal. 35 minutes after we had sat down, there were still no other customers. I joked to my girlfriend that I had reserved the entire restaurant just for us.

I got a little worried about the quality of the food, but it was fantastic. I had a filet, and it was easily in the top 10 steaks I have ever eaten. I think she had duck, and it was also incredible. At about the 45 minute mark, one guy came in, sat at the bar for about 10 minutes got a take-out meal and left. Then, when we were having dessert, probably around 8:00 a group of 5 or 6 people came in and stayed for dinner.

It was just the weirdest thing - to be attached to a hotel, that was probably sold out due to Comic-Con, and not have a single other person in the restaurant. It's possible they did really well later at night, I guess. That was about 5 years ago, and since then the hotel was sold and Kelvin no longer exists.

JIMINYCR

Having the place all to yourself should have been amazing because your server had nothing else to focus on but to please you and make sure everything was 100% enjoyable. DW & I ate at a restaurant in Quebec one time years ago that was very, very exclusive, where you had one server assigned only to your table for the entire meal. It was the feel of royalty. Hope your meal was just as exceptional.

Lilofan

Having the place all to yourself should have been amazing because your server had nothing else to focus on but to please you and make sure everything was 100% enjoyable. DW & I ate at a restaurant in Quebec one time years ago that was very, very exclusive, where you had one server assigned only to your table for the entire meal. It was the feel of royalty. Hope your meal was just as exceptional.
Great service to the family. FInancially, it's not a good day for the server.

Lord Starwalker

Me, neither. My wife likes it, so........

It was the WORST waffle I EVER had. It was so dry, the syrup literally beaded off of it. It must have been under a heat lamp from the previous weekend.

Yikes! In my experience it's rare to receive this kind of poor service when dining at a WDW restaurant. I will definitely avoid Whispering Canyon.

Legendary

So I guess this really confirms that the DDP affects the ways guests dine. It would be really hard for me to justify paying cash for a meal there. Apparently many guests feel the same.

JIMINYCR

Great service to the family. FInancially, it's not a good day for the server.
Of course. Servers all over are hurting from loss of diners. Hopefully the OP rewarded for exceptional service with a generous tip. I would have. In these times we are tipping up for all the services we get to help out those hurting more. My customers are also tipping me more generously than usual. We are all in this mess together so we all do what we can to help take away the pain.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That reminds me of a time my girlfriend and I were in San Diego for Comic-Con and the same thing happened to us. We went to a fairly fancy and very eclectic restaurant called Kelvin in a hotel in downtown San Diego.

We were seated around 6:30 PM and there wasn't another soul in the place. It was small, but probably still had a capacity of 60 or so diners. We ordered drinks, then appetizers, and eventually our meal. 35 minutes after we had sat down, there were still no other customers. I joked to my girlfriend that I had reserved the entire restaurant just for us.

I got a little worried about the quality of the food, but it was fantastic. I had a filet, and it was easily in the top 10 steaks I have ever eaten. I think she had duck, and it was also incredible. At about the 45 minute mark, one guy came in, sat at the bar for about 10 minutes got a take-out meal and left. Then, when we were having dessert, probably around 8:00 a group of 5 or 6 people came in and stayed for dinner.

It was just the weirdest thing - to be attached to a hotel, that was probably sold out due to Comic-Con, and not have a single other person in the restaurant. It's possible they did really well later at night, I guess. That was about 5 years ago, and since then the hotel was sold and Kelvin no longer exists.
Isn't Comic-Con one of those venues where they have to remind attendees to shower periodically?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Same here. Great deal on dining plan but not something I’d pay out of pocket for the whole family.
The dining plan feeds the price and Vice versa...that’s the point.

Either it’s a ripoff or it isn’t (that’s a rhetorical question)

The same steaks were $25-35 dollars pre dining plan. And they’re more than likely of lesser quality now...based on patterns and operational mandates.

As far as the soup goes: get it at the perpetual booth outside 😉

Disney4allseasons

The dining plan feeds the price and Vice versa...that’s the point.

Either it’s a ripoff or it isn’t (that’s a rhetorical question)

The same steaks were $25-35 dollars pre dining plan. And they’re more than likely of lesser quality now...based on patterns and operational mandates.

As far as the soup goes: get it at the perpetual booth outside 😉
Hoorah my future soup needs are solved!

mousedroid

Isn't Comic-Con one of those venues where they have to remind attendees to shower periodically?
Heh, just saw this. Yeah, the exhibit hall at Comic-Con is full of interesting smells by the second or third day. They should pay the city to come through every morning and hose down all the people who slept in line over night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom