Late March tent camping @ FW

GoCamels

Got a family of five (boys 10 & 8, girl 6) and we plan to TENT camp March 21-27 at FW, with Plus Dining Package.

Tent camping is nothing new for us now, after several break-in trips for the rest of the family this past summer in mountains and here on the coast (I'm an Eagle Scout and Order of the Arrow, camping like we did this past summer was like staying at Grand Floridian compared to no-tell motel on I-95)

The biggest seller for us on this trip is that we are going to save 50% on the ENTIRE trip by driving and camping, compared to staying at a regular resort, dining plan, and flying. (WDW and 5-people do not mix well when it comes to lodging)

We are also visiting the Disney Day at Tidewater AAA in Va. Beach this Sunday afternoon, so we may be booking there this weekend if they can give it to us cheaper.

Looking for any and all advice, previous experience, etc. that will make our decision easier...thanks in advance.

First I would like to say congrats on being an Eagle Scout, and part of the order of the arrow.
As a registered leader for the BSA for 7+ years, and being a mentor for two upcoming Eagle scouts, I know the work you put in, and you should be very proud.

As far a FW. It's beautiful, and very easy to camp. We call it the Hilton with Sand. The lots are great, and the facilities are wonderful. You need to camp there at least once.
It may get warm in March, so there is electric at each site, bring a fan to move the air in the tents at night.

Since you have been through the OA ordeal, this will be like being pampered, and having maid service.

I will look for our pictures of our sites we stayed in over July, and post them (if i find them).

Enjoy.

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

Two comments-

1- My brother stayed at FW at Thanksgiving. He said they had cut a LOT of trees down (and it really infringed on privacy on the sites). You might want to bring extra tarps- or make good friends with your neighbors.

2- We stayed in a pop-up at Easter a few years back. We had two weeks. It was warm the entire first week. (great swimming weather) We froze the second week. I would be prepared for any kind of weather. March could be hit/miss. (Bring the fan and the electric heater/blanket.)

Upvote 0

GoCamels

Original Poster
This is the second time I've seen "privacy" mentioned either in print (Unofficial Guide) and now here...when talking about "privacy", are we talking where people are literaly walking through your campsite, or is that there isn't a large seperation between sites like you would see at say a National Park Service or Forest Service campground, where you might have 20 or 30 feet between sites but no vegetation seperation?

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Disney is in the process of rennovating certain parts of the campground, like replacing the bus stop structures and such. As they go along, they've taking down trees that are problematic or just in the way.

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

My understanding of the "privacy" issue that my brother experienced was that the trees that would ordinarily create the illusion of more seclusion are gone. So rather than seeing trees in between sites- in certain areas- it was a sea of trailers- with no wilderness.

I have never had a problem with people cutting- or walking through- our site.

Upvote 0

Grumpy-Fan

We are tent camping at FW the second week in Feb.. We are from the Outer Banks, where are you from? We love tent camping and do it as often as we can. When we get back I`ll let you know. 36 more days until we leave. Yahoo!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

TheKeeler7

As a kid we went every Feb to FW, While the family stayed in the camper me and my little brother camped in a tent many times. Your kids will have a blast. The sites and support facilities are great, In addition there is so much to do I would plan a day or two to just hang-out, swim , fish ect. And definitely take them to the campfire sing-a-long and movie under the stars.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Upvote 0

smk

Never tent camped there but love the cabins!!! You will love the campgrounds in general. Rent a golf cart, you will not be sorry!

Upvote 0
This is the second time I've seen "privacy" mentioned either in print (Unofficial Guide) and now here...when talking about "privacy", are we talking where people are literaly walking through your campsite, or is that there isn't a large seperation between sites like you would see at say a National Park Service or Forest Service campground, where you might have 20 or 30 feet between sites but no vegetation seperation?

They way the sites are built, it would be very difficult for someone to just walk through your site.
The sites are on a raised plat of ground about 3 feet up, then there is a grassy, woodsy area between sites. it makes it difficult to walk between the platted areas. You can see into the next site, but that is it.
There is a drive way up to the platted area where your tents will be.

I would not worry about privacy.

Upvote 0

GoCamels

Original Poster
Sound almost like they have done some needed underbrush clearing that could be a fire danger, esp. in that environment. I'll take a little less of that feeling for the price and experience.

In doing some reading today on some other sites, I'm finding the biggest complaint is the pool being rather spartan compared to the other resorts. You can still pool-hop if you are staying on site correct?

Other than that, I've just cancelled going to the ACC Tournament this year (after going to the last 6) because its the week before our proposed stay at WDW...I've all but committed to it now...:sohappy: Thanks for the help so far everybody.

GRUMP...check your PMs

Upvote 0

PanfanAL

I would love to hear how it goes, we are talking about taking our pop-up down in October for a week. I have been camping for years, but my wife is pretty new to it, but is enjoying it. I am still trying to convince her to do it at Disney though.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Sound almost like they have done some needed underbrush clearing that could be a fire danger, esp. in that environment. I'll take a little less of that feeling for the price and experience.

In doing some reading today on some other sites, I'm finding the biggest complaint is the pool being rather spartan compared to the other resorts. You can still pool-hop if you are staying on site correct?

Other than that, I've just cancelled going to the ACC Tournament this year (after going to the last 6) because its the week before our proposed stay at WDW...I've all but committed to it now...:sohappy: Thanks for the help so far everybody.

GRUMP...check your PMs
Just wanted to let you know that pool-hopping is no longer allowed. I know when we first started staying on property it was, but that is no longer the case.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom