Last day at the world

jacalynsue

MK for last day

We always spend our last day at the Magic Kingdom and linger on Main Street. (We've never seen the Kiss Goodnight despite this). We then slowly make our way to the boat to the transportation and ticket center, generally in tears. We stand on the top level of the boat at the back and watch the Castle slowly recede as the boat takes us across the lagoon. By this time, I'm always crying. If it's a trip with the kids, this is when I hug them and promise them that we WILL come back. I cannot promise when, but I can promise that we will return. And I promise them that the Magic Kingdom is always there waiting for us.

After the boat docks, we slowly, regretfully make our way down the stairs to shore. One last, longing glance back at the castle, and we steel ourselves and head for the car.

The next morning, before heading to the airport, we soften the blow by heading to Downtown Disney Marketplace to get our last bit of pixie dust. We might pick up a few remaining items on our wish list, a last minute trinket for a friend or coworker, and some snack if anyone is hungry. We wander the grounds, watching the kids play in the fountains. (If it's a family trip, our own kids join in while we parents tag-team shopping with supervising them.) And then we stuff our last loot into our luggage, pile into the car, and drive off property for the last time. We wave goodbye to the Disney road signs and head off to the harsh realities of the Orlando International Airport.

Last week, Delta airlines had such poor service and slow lines at the kiosks that we missed out window to self-serve and get our baggage tickets. Because the full service line was so slow and the counter agents so rude, we missed our flights home and were CHARGED to rebook for the next day. I'm writing them a love letter this weekend. We were at the airport in plenty of time for check-in and missed our flights due to THEIR poor service.

Generally, though, our trip through the airport is much better and we arrive home exhausted but happy. All I have to do is close my eyes and I'm back on that boat, the evening breeze easing the sweat and fatigue, the castle view blurry from tears... and joy in my heart.

CoastalX

On our last day, with the sadness settling in, we always park hop to ride all of our favorite rides at each park, ending with MK. Its always sad on the last day and then driving home getting farther and farther away from the WORLD and closer to real life again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom