Large fountain drink cups removed from Magic Kingdom?

dizda

Unless this is a temporary supply issue (as some have suggested), it seems the only logical reason to eliminate the large size is to try to force people to buy more sodas to pad profits. My money would be on the second option, but I need to save up for that second cup.

R W B

Wow really? I see this as a money grab. Hopefully im wrong but as of right now I doubt that I am. Glad I got back from trip last week and I was able to enjoy my large coke with each quick service lunch.

rogerrabbitfan9

This seems like a fairly straight forward process improvement during a busy time of the year at the Magic Kingdom. Because there is only one drink size available, the person filling the drinks at the CS locations doesn't have to think about what size cup they need and should be able to fill faster.

I would bet the percentage of the population that specifically orders a large soda to share is miniscule. Honestly, I would also bet the percentage of the population who actually thinks about what size of soda they are ordering is rather minuscule as well.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This seems like a fairly straight forward process improvement during a busy time of the year at the Magic Kingdom. Because there is only one drink size available, the person filling the drinks at the CS locations doesn't have to think about what size cup they need and should be able to fill faster.

There is still more than one drink size available... so you do not eliminate the size evaluation. Plus that choice is minute, they still have todo the evaluation to figure out the flavor... so it's not like you are eliminating a step/check.

freediverdude

Well I may be stretching here, but I think there is more to this than saving on large cups.

I know my friend who doesn't have morals about cup filling or mug usage often takes her resort mug or own mug to the other 3 parks and has free soda. She usually gets away with it- there's too many people and activity going on to police that. I have a feeling this may be a first step to having chipped cups in the parks. Just selling one size of paper cup, and or buy a mug with an rfid chip. Disney cuts down on the free soda, gets to sell expensive mugs, possibly integrating them with the resort mug system, and you can still buy a single use paper cup, but just one size (may already be the case at the resorts, not sure). And would make more sense looking at the costs too, as I'm sure the paper cups with the chips are more expensive, especially if you're pricing out 2 sizes.

Kman101

I somehow managed to avoid buying a beverage, except at Moe's (and the parking garage vending machine), at Universal, how do they work their sodas now? I know they're all for the freestyle machines, I saw quite a few. I bought a mug from them last year but not this year so far. What's up with their paper cups? Do they do the chip thing? Is that what Disney could be going towards?

I'm not making this Uni vs. Disney but they often copy each other on these kind of things. It's like the preferred parking. One offers it the other starts to offer it too.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The only process argument that holds water IMO is the reduction of serving time
Well I may be stretching here, but I think there is more to this than saving on large cups.

I know my friend who doesn't have morals about cup filling or mug usage often takes her resort mug or own mug to the other 3 parks and has free soda. She usually gets away with it- there's too many people and activity going on to police that. I have a feeling this may be a first step to having chipped cups in the parks. Just selling one size of paper cup, and or buy a mug with an rfid chip. Disney cuts down on the free soda, gets to sell expensive mugs, possibly integrating them with the resort mug system, and you can still buy a single use paper cup, but just one size (may already be the case at the resorts, not sure). And would make more sense looking at the costs too, as I'm sure the paper cups with the chips are more expensive, especially if you're pricing out 2 sizes.

1) again... there is more than one size cup
2) these locations do not have self serve stations
3) changes like this make no sense to phase in... changing one component at a time since you have to change signage every time etc

flynnibus

Premium Member
The only process/inventory argument that makes any sense to me is the reduction in serving time. Larger cups = slower to serve. But most locations fix that by automating the pour or dedicated staffers.... not eliminating the cup size

Disney could harmonize cup styles (which they've done before) if they wanted to reduce costs. To reduce styles they inventory. The difference in cost between cup sizes is a tiny tiny fraction. Certainly not worth customer backlash over by removing them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Since the spring where has there been a change at WDW which has been beneficial to the guest? This is just one more in a series of financially motivated changes which negatively affect the guest experience

Disney now needs to stock only one size of cup this will probably save a couple million per year as now they will only need only 2/3's as much water/syrup/ice and eliminate an item and they will probably raise the price of the drink as well

They still stock other sizes
The cost delta between cup sizes is nominal
The scale diffuses issues about stocking different sizes... it would still be used over dozens of locations

Reducing volume really doesn't save you much since it's volume matched by increased revenue....

People aren't going to order more sofas... they will order the one size, then leave miffed when they didn't feel like they got enough to drink. The extra burden of ordering seconds, or two at once will cause many people who want more, to simply pass... and instead just be angered instead of satisfied.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They still stock other sizes
The cost delta between cup sizes is nominal
The scale diffuses issues about stocking different sizes... it would still be used over dozens of locations

Reducing volume really doesn't save you much since it's volume matched by increased revenue....

People aren't going to order more sofas... they will order the one size, then leave miffed when they didn't feel like they got enough to drink. The extra burden of ordering seconds, or two at once will cause many people who want more, to simply pass... and instead just be angered instead of satisfied.

I think we violently agree on this point the only outcomes will be some modest 'revenue enhancement' for Disney and a whole bunch of miffed guests.

It seems that Disney is reading the 'rejected suggestions' book and implementing all of them.

Bolt

Confirming, DHS has both sizes.

Edit: and they are holiday themed.

IMG_5449.JPG

Last edited:

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Strangely enough it has always been my experience that at a QS place in MK they would only sell you a large drink unless you specifically asked for a smaller size. Maybe that's just me though.

Bandini

I saw a lady and her husband toting 4 jumbo turkey legs to themselves earlier today. I think it's safe to rule out health reasons for dropping the large drink size...
I agree,I think those Turkey legs are 3.000 kcal each. Since the medium and large seasonal cups are available in the other parks, I think it's safe to assume it's another money grab. Another Happy Holiday message from Disney to their marks....oh, I mean guests.

Last edited:

Bacon

Getting rid of the "large" upsell usually goes against retail marketing or maybe things have changed since I learned cost accounting in my college days.

Usually you want the larger, more profitable, size. Yes, there are additional costs with having 2 versions, but when viewed at the per cup level, the cost difference to the vendor is usually only a penny or two for the large size. So the 40 cent retail price difference is almost always pure profit to the seller (the overhead costs like machinery and employees are the same regardless of small or large sizes). The first rule of retail is to maximize profit per sale, so always promote an upsell option.

It's possible there were problems getting large holiday cups this year, but knowing the current "Disney" I'm sure they would have no problem selling generic Coke paper cups.

It makes me wonder if they are going to replace their "large" option with an all-you-can-drink option like some other parks. Expect a $10 large option sometime soon?
I always buy a bottled or fountain drink at the hotel so if they make a free refill cup at both hotels and parks! I SMELL THEM MAKING MOOOOOOOONEY!!! :greedy:

csmat99

This is due to cost per cup on the large size cups and to make things simpler for the holiday rush.
Not true at all. Disney with the volume they do pretty much pay the same exact cost for the paper cups regardless of the size. And it doesn't make things simpler. Actually makes it slower because I'm sure there will be people asking Q's and ed they can't get a large where last week they could.

beertiki

The large cups will no longer be used for soda, they will be used at beer carts all over the MK. $9.95 for a 32 oz PBR draft.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom