Lake water levels in WDW?

frank2271

Original Poster
Can anyone tell me if WDW pumps water from wells to keep their lake levels up? I live in west/central FL and I am on a lake which is totally dry. While driving over to Disney I see lakes that are WAY down and some that are dry. But Disney's lakes are all up to their usual levels. How can this be???

elisatonks

disney deals with there own utilites so this could be something to do with it, but would love to see how they are keeping water levels up. saw on the news this morning tho that some florida gardening companies are now painting peoples yards green as all the grass is dying.

BenS

I can see them doing this. The Seven Seas Lagoon is an important "landmark" at WDW (not to mention a method of transportation), so they can't really afford to let it go dry.

Scooter

If I remember correctly, there are several small man made lakes on Disney property. When Bay Lake and other lakes near Disney Parks start to dry up, they simply pump water from the smaller lakes into the Park Lakes.
Likewise, when Bay lake and other big lakes get too much water in them, they pump the water into other smaller lakes on property.
I could be wrong about this, but I think I remember reading this some where.

PeaceIsFree

When Bay Lake and other lakes near Disney Parks start to dry up, they simply pump water from the smaller lakes into the Park Lakes.
Likewise, when Bay lake and other big lakes get too much water in them, they pump the water into other smaller lakes on property.
I could be wrong about this, but I think I remember reading this some where.

This sounds like it would make sense.

hardcard

that is correct.. the flood control system works both ways... most people don't realize it, but before ANYTHING on property was built, a series of canals and pumping systems were installed property wide... most, if not all major bodies of water on property are monitored an adjusted accordingly.... The water levels around property are lowered in off stage areas prior to a hurricane or severe weather approaching, that way seven seas, and other bodies can be pumped 'away' to the other off stage bodies.. such as the detention ponds along world drive, and some of the swampier areas of property.

daguru

some florida gardening companies are now painting peoples yards green as all the grass is dying.

Yeah, people are doing this because some local HOAs are starting to fine their members for having brown/non-green lawns, even with yard watering restricitions in place... Only here in Florida!

hardcard

Yeah, people are doing this because some local HOAs are starting to fine their members for having brown/non-green lawns, even with yard watering restricitions in place... Only here in Florida!

Orlando area FINALLY got a LITTLE rain today... Honestly, it's been a while since we've seen ANY...

Hopefully we'll get a bit more soon... forecasts are STARTING to look a little more wet.

Kamikaze

Actually no, that happens all over when you are dealing with HOAs.

sportzfrk480

Yeah you can actually see the hoses pumping water into bay lake during a drought. (which as it sounds you are.) They are usually in Marshmallow Marsh just past the campground... it looks like a big fire hose. keep an eye out for it the next time your on your way over for hoop dee do, or something and on the boats...

I have heard they also do the reverse, pumping water out of the lakes and ditches so they can have nice green grass on their golf courses at all times, but i have never seen any of these hoses/pumps...

SoccerMickey

I wonder what the protocol regarding irrigation is though because its only been VERY recent that Disney started watering their grass again after a couple of months of dead grass througout the property.

Dabeast

We'll be there for 2 days next week...if past history holds true, the skies will open up on Monday and Tuesday...:( bring your rain gear if you plan on being in WDW those days!!

wild01ride

that is correct.. the flood control system works both ways... most people don't realize it, but before ANYTHING on property was built, a series of canals and pumping systems were installed property wide... most, if not all major bodies of water on property are monitored an adjusted accordingly.... The water levels around property are lowered in off stage areas prior to a hurricane or severe weather approaching, that way seven seas, and other bodies can be pumped 'away' to the other off stage bodies.. such as the detention ponds along world drive, and some of the swampier areas of property.

Not to mention that we're talking about WDW here, and henceforth, they control the local humidity via jurisdiction of the RCID! :lookaroun

WDWRLD

Does this mean that the fountain at TOT will be empty and not working again this year when I visit......:hammer:

DisneyJoe

From
http://www.mouseplanet.com/7119/History_of_the_World_Part_V

"Crews built 47 miles of canals and 22 miles of levees. They installed 24 water control structures—double-ballasted, non-powered flow control gates that could regulate themselves without intervention. They built the canals not in grids, as was customary at the time, but conformed them to the natural landscape to look like rivers and streams, a choice championed by John Hench."

bgraham34

I remember 2 or 3 Sept ago the lakes were so low I actually thought the boats going to and from WL to MK were not going to make it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom