Kraken VS. Hulk

captainkidd

Original Poster
How does Kraken compare with The Hulk? Faster, more intense? If you can handle one, can you handle the other?

Tooning

The Hulk is way better than the Krakken. Hulk Start/Thrust is AWESOME. I can ride Hulk over and over and not be bored. I get bored with the Krakken after a few rides. I Do like both though. The best Ride at Seaworld in my opinion is Manta

crazydaveh

They are two different rides. Yes, the Hulk's take off is awesome, but the floorless coaster of Kraken is cool too.

Kraken does get kinda boring like someone stated, Hulk is a fun ride every time.

Bottom line, a day on either is a better than sitting in your office typing about them!

Journey_On

Glad to read these responses! I've been on Hulk many times and really enjoy it, but I haven't been on Kraken yet. Looking at the initial drop scares me. I hope I have enough courage to ride it on my next visit to SeaWorld.

Tooning, I love Manta!!

invader

Just in my opinion, Kraken is ten times better. Smooth ride, great sites, and a very-low line. I may be biased because Kraken was my first coaster. :)

Tom Morrow

Hulk by far. Kraken is forceless, though the front row is somewhat exhilarating.
Is it just me or do B&M coasters seem to age horribly?
It depends on the park and how much they put into upkeep.

As I have explained before on this forum (I think), one thing you will notice is that with Florida's coasters, being operational year-round, they do not have the option of having a fresh, refurbished set of trains all at once. Instead you may have times when the ride is rough, and other times, if you ride after the train or trains were recently refurbished, or have new wheels or whatever, the ride will be smooth.

Lately, Hulk has been very smooth. Kraken is always smooth.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Hulk is the reason B&M will never make another launcher. The coaster is horrendous. That thing gave me a worse headache than Python after the track segment was removed and refurbed.

Kumba kills both.

Is it just me or do B&M coasters seem to age horribly?

The Florida ones seem to but they do not really. The year round operation can be hard on them and make an extensive rehab difficult. Every B&M at BGW is still amazing, even Apollo and Alpie from the late 90s. With the Winter shutdown every vehicle is disassembles, new wheels, bearings etc. Compacted urethane wheels are what really kills the smoothness of B&Ms and they are hard to replace while operating where they cannot afford to run a train down.

maxairmike

Hulk is the reason B&M will never make another launcher. The coaster is horrendous. That thing gave me a worse headache than Python after the track segment was removed and refurbed.

Kumba kills both.

The Florida ones seem to but they do not really. The year round operation can be hard on them and make an extensive rehab difficult. Every B&M at BGW is still amazing, even Apollo and Alpie from the late 90s. With the Winter shutdown every vehicle is disassembles, new wheels, bearings etc. Compacted urethane wheels are what really kills the smoothness of B&Ms and they are hard to replace while operating where they cannot afford to run a train down.

Kumba certainly killed my head. ;)

But really, yeah, I think Kumba is now my favorite Florida B&M, followed closely by Montu. I will say, however, that I got one heck of a ride on Hulk that I'll never forget. It was a really hot August day - already about 80 by 9am - and thanks to that, Hulk was running very fast. I was grayed out from the pull-in to the cobra roll all the way through the corkscrew over the station. I couldn't see a thing for that stretch, had a slight headache, but man was it awesome!

After my trip to Busch, I'm solidly in the "old B&Ms kill the newer ones every day and twice on Sunday" camp. Kumba was amazing. Although I will say, apart from their mega coasters with the clamshell restraints, the newer designs seem to be coming back to the style of the older ones while retaining some of the sweeping grace. Manta comes to mind there.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Kumba certainly killed my head. ;)

But really, yeah, I think Kumba is now my favorite Florida B&M, followed closely by Montu. I will say, however, that I got one heck of a ride on Hulk that I'll never forget. It was a really hot August day - already about 80 by 9am - and thanks to that, Hulk was running very fast. I was grayed out from the pull-in to the cobra roll all the way through the corkscrew over the station. I couldn't see a thing for that stretch, had a slight headache, but man was it awesome!

After my trip to Busch, I'm solidly in the "old B&Ms kill the newer ones every day and twice on Sunday" camp. Kumba was amazing. Although I will say, apart from their mega coasters with the clamshell restraints, the newer designs seem to be coming back to the style of the older ones while retaining some of the sweeping grace. Manta comes to mind there.

It's all in the wheels :king:

There was something about the transitions on Hulk that I entirely disliked. After having rode in 30+ B&Ms that takes the cake for my least favorite hands down.

Are these the clamshells you are referencing? If so, then I actually love them; I ride Apollo's 125+ times a year. They just do not accomodate larger people.

6.jpg

maxairmike

I think the newer trains on Diamondback, Goliath, etc. have slightly different clamshells (haven't ridden Nitro/Apollo, so can't say for certain). I will admit that Hulk's transitions in the back half of the ride do remind me a bit of Maverick in their snappiness, which is definitely odd for a B&M, but I'm tall enough where I don't have to worry about my head playing pinball with the OTSRs anymore so it doesn't bother me.

StageFrenzy

I kinda take back my opinion that they age horribly, I was at Busch Gardens the other day and Montu was great. Damn Kumba is loud though, I could hear the thing the moment i left the Skyride Station.

As far as Hulk v. Kraken the winner in my book is Manta. I get bored on kraken for some reason and the coaster is too eerily quiet due to the sand.

StageFrenzy

Kumba's rails were not filled like other. The hollow rails create the roaring sound. She's a monster.

Are you a Griffon fan? The first time i rode Shiekra I was like whoa and then the novelty wore off. Post floor every time I ride it, I like it more and more.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Are you a Griffon fan? The first time i rode Shiekra I was like whoa and then the novelty wore off. Post floor every time I ride it, I like it more and more.

Remember Griffon has the 3x10 seating prior to Shiekra and floorless. Griffon provided the best view of the James River Ghost Fleet pre-Mach Tower. The views were a huge plus to me. I personally love Griffon, the extra immelman has me sold on it over Sheikra. The 3x10 seating on either edge gives you a much faster rotation out of the immelman, and when I went a year without being in a racecar or Extra-300 plane it would make me begin to go black. I feel it does not fit with BGW's excellent collection of terrain-coaster but it is still a nice addition. Verbolten is slated to open May with a new coaster in the works for 2014/15. The positives outweigh the negatives to me. Not to mention being on when emergency egress was needed.... Yea. That was fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom