DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Which is the better ride?
Back to the Past: Kongfrontation | World of Universal

Comparing Universal's FL and CA Revenge of the Mummy Rides

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
This is actually a pretty hard choice for me.
I love them both for different reasons.
But because I'm team OG Universal Studios Florida I gotta go with Kongfrontation.
Anyone else remember the amoxicillin bubblegum smell in the line?

jeanericuser001

This is sort of an apples to oranges as they were two very different rides. I guess piece by piece I should examine them. The first round is basically the outside area and no one gets any real points here. I would give negative points to mummy for the stilt walkers but since no points were given out Im gonna call it even.

The que is next. The mummy has you going through an ancient tomb that supposedly is part of a movie set. What advantages it has are its interactive elements and atmosphere. The down side though is the lighting can be so bad if your eyes are not adjusted enough that you could just as easily slam face first into a wall. Done that a couple times so I know it happens. This is a ride not HHN. This is universal using the same trick they did with ET though ET at least did a little better on the lighting and those guard rails keep accidents from happening. Kongfrontation on the other hand has you going through an area that many ways feels like you are in new york city. There are posters on the walls, graffiti, trashy tile, and overall elements that actually look like a normal setting. As you traverse up ramps and stairs you get closer and closer to ride. The upside to this is its well lit and the occasional news messages you see on tvs help to push the story narrative along. The down side is the uphill climb. Lots and lots of uphill climb. I use to envy the handicapped who got on the elevator. Sure mummy has stairs but its a short distance up. Now who wins in this one is a tough one. The mummy did a nice job with its interactive elements but I can still remember that bruise on my head I got from moving to fast in the que only to bump into a wall. Ouch. Kong had a surprisingly realistic setting that actually made you feel more like you were there sort of like what ET did with forests. The only problem is those ramps could be a pain some times. Im gonna call this one for kong.

Vehicle seating is next. The mummy is a coaster so restraints are necessary and though its cramped its not that bad unless you are morbidly obese or claustrophobic. Kong is a standard multi seat vehicle on a hanging track. The seat spacing was decent as long as they didn't pack in too many people but there was a weight issue supposedly. Too much weight could cause some problems so they reduced the amount of people which made waits longer but ensured you were not crammed in. Both rides pretty much have good vehicles and though there is a slight spacing issue on mummy its not exactly horrible unless you are not the type of person who should be riding this coaster in the first place. No point is given to either side.

The ride itself is next. I wont go through a full run down so I will keep it short. Mummy feels unpredictable with its forwards and backwards motion in a darkness that makes it difficult to predict some things. Kong is very predictable with a slow track and somewhat dated effects. The best part of kong was the beast itself. A real monster and quite the sight for those who rode this ride for the first time. The only major problem for both of these rides is they have not always aged well thanks to maintainence issues and those can really change the quality of the experience. Im gonna say this one goes to mummy.

The after ride experience is next. The after ride experience for mummy is just a gift shop and a ton of merch to sell. Though the merch was good, kong has mummy beat. Kong instead featured an amazing photo op that no one could say was photoshopped. Getting a picture with king kong was worth every penny and the shear size of the display alone still impresses me to this day. As for merch, there was not a ton but it wasn't overstocked. In terms of who wins this one, my vote goes to kong. That kong display was legendary and universal seriously needs to bring that back for the ride at IOA. It would sell like crazy. This one goes to kong.

And the winner is.......Kong. Yeah the ride itself is not exactly perfect but so many other elements helped it beat the mummy.

littleroo

Kong was in my top favorite rides in Universal!! It really helped that I had a great seat on the right hand side in the middle. I really felt like Kong was climbing over the bus. I am surprised my kids 5 and 9 did not have nightmares.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Kong was in my top favorite rides in Universal!! It really helped that I had a great seat on the right hand side in the middle. I really felt like Kong was climbing over the bus. I am surprised my kids 5 and 9 did not have nightmares.
The challenge is for the old Kong ride not the new one. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom