Kona breakfast and rope drop

Patrick Dollar

Original Poster
Hi all!

Would a 7:30 ADR at Kona Cafe give us enough time to eat and get to rope drop at MK? (hopefully not behind a ton of people)

We're not going to RD 7DMT -- we'll be going towards Frontierland.

Clamman73

I've done it before...being there at 7:30, the tables aren't totally filled up so you're served fairly quickly. But I ate and got out of there so I would still be up front for rope drop, but that was last year before what they do now with letting people in early.
With going to frontierland first, it can be a ghost town on the quiet days at 9:00 so not too much worrying about hustling.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Also hours could change closer to. An opening time of 8am is very possible so keep that in mind that your plans could be altered if that morning opens earlier as hours are adjusted later. ;)

sxeensweet

Thanks for the responses! Is an 8 am opening likely? I didn't look back very far in the historical hours but didn't see that in 2017.

Yes they did have some 8am openings this year at busy times. (Changed a week or so prior to dates) March is in the middle of Spring Breaks so it’s very possible that could happen. It may not just wanted you to know that is a possibility. And you are very welcome!! We love Kona Cafe breakfast by the way so try to keep it or even do on another day if you can. ;)

epcotisbest

Yes they did have some 8am openings this year at busy times. (Changed a week or so prior to dates) March is in the middle of Spring Breaks so it’s very possible that could happen. It may not just wanted you to know that is a possibility. And you are very welcome!! We love Kona Cafe breakfast by the way so try to keep it or even do on another day if you can. ;)
Yeah, I agree about Kona. The thing is, for us Kona is a breakfast to be savored and enjoyed, not rushed through. I would not want to be in a hurry to rush through breakfast at Kona. I would rather skip Kona than rush it if rope drop is important, but that is just me.

sxeensweet

Yeah, I agree about Kona. The thing is, for us Kona is a breakfast to be savored and enjoyed, not rushed through. I would not want to be in a hurry to rush through breakfast at Kona. I would rather skip Kona than rush it if rope drop is important, but that is just me.

Totally agree as to why I suggested doing it maybe another day also. I don’t like ever rushing any meal. ;)

sxeensweet

Capt Cooks has Tonga Toast on their menu. Might be a better option
But if it’s the first time trying it I don’t recommend it. It’s not the same it’s drier doesn’t seem as fresh, and no strawberry compote for it at Captain Cooks and to us that is what completes the dish. So yes definitely an option but don’t reccomend it for first timers trying it. ;)

Patrick Dollar

Original Poster
But if it’s the first time trying it I don’t recommend it. It’s not the same it’s drier doesn’t seem as fresh, and no strawberry compote for it at Captain Cooks and to us that is what completes the dish. So yes definitely an option but don’t reccomend it for first timers trying it. ;)

I had Capt. Cook's in the back of my mind. I agree with what you said -- if it was just me, I'd go there. But since it's my bf's first time trying Tonga Toast, I would only do Kona.

I might try to squeeze in Kona on another day, but I have a feeling it may not happen this trip. :(

epcotisbest

Yes, that strawberry compote makes the dish. Without it, it just seems like a whole different breakfast. Kinda like pancakes without syrup or pecan pie without pecans.

nickys

Premium Member
Hi all!

Would a 7:30 ADR at Kona Cafe give us enough time to eat and get to rope drop at MK? (hopefully not behind a ton of people)

Remember the gates will open for everyone at 8 for a 9 opening. So you would be near the back of the rope drop crowd when you arrive. However, since you're heading to Frontierland that wouldn't matter so much.

I'd be a bit worried about being in the midst of all the families trying to arrive just before rope drop. You might be finished eating by the back of 8, so getting to MK around 8:20 / 8:30. I suspect there would still be a lot of people arriving at the same time, it might seem very busy getting down Main Street. As long as you're OK with that, it would work because most people will head to Fantasyland.

JillC LI

We prefer to hit MK at rope drop, get in a bunch of rides while the park is quiet, then go to Kona Cafe for "brunch" at 11am when they are still serving breakfast.

krause

Hi all!

I agree with pp. Rope drop and then go to Kona for a later breakfast! Set your fastpasses for when you'll get back from breakfast. If you're set on 7:30 go and enjoy your breakfast and if you get to the park a bit after 8 Frontierland still shouldn't be too busy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom