knowledge please

msthunder

Ok veterans ,, help me out here....due to the storm,, I am freaking and have some questions:

1. We are due to check in Friday, Sept 1st,,, are my reservations still gonna be there?? We are paid in full.

2. If Orlando takes a direct hit,, how will it affect Disney?

3. If its raining at the parks,, are the rides still operational?

Should I call Disney?

Thanks.

CoffeeJedi

3. If its raining at the parks,, are the rides still operational?
I think you're going to be amazed at the tiny number of rides that are actually outdoors. I'd say only 25% of rides are outdoor attractions, and the number might not even be that high. For example, Epcot has precisely ONE ride that takes place outdoors, and even its outside sequence lasts about 30 seconds at the very end of the ride.

Upvote 0

kachow

I was there for hurricane Jeanne, and here's exactly what happened:

We got there the morning before it was expected to hit, and with most current guests getting out early, and alot of cancellations or people not able to get in, that day at the parks was very dead. The only signs of a storm coming were that it was cloudy and windy, but they still closed EVERY park at 7pm. They also closed all the Disney-run restaurants as well. We were staying at the Boardwalk and they offered a buffet dinner in one of their ballrooms for something like $15/person. The hotel bar was open, so we at least had that.

A letter was slid under everyone's door that night that all the parks would be closed the next day, and that they wanted us to stay inside, blah, blah, blah. The next day they put free movies on all the in-room Disney channels, set up games, coloring, etc. in the lobby for kids, and characters showed up at the hotel from time to time. We spent much of the day in the hotel bar area drinking bloody marys and playing backgammon. They offered buffet lunch and dinner again that day, since restaurants were still closed.

The next day the parks all opened at around 10am, and the weather was fantastic after that, so it didn't really cramp our style too much, and we had a story to tell. Oh, and they did give us an additional day's park ticket to use either that trip, or any time in the future, to make up for the lost day.

Overall, the only thing under my control that I was glad I did was change our flight to an earlier flight the day we came in, to ensure we got in to Orlando before things started getting cancelled. We much preferred to be locked down in WDW, than to be struggling to get a new flight in after it was over.

Upvote 0

WDW Monorail

I found the following info on MousePlanet:

The storm shows only a 6 percent chance of hitting Orlando with hurricane-force winds, but a 43 percent chance of hitting with tropical storm-force winds, most likely on Wednesday.
If widespread evacuations are announced for areas of Florida, look for crowds to increase at Walt Disney World, as it is one of the safest places to be during a hurricane. Its utilities are all underground, meaning that winds cannot knock out power, phones or other services, and downed trees cannot hurt the utilities, either. There is a sufficiently large staff to care for guests, and plenty of food. While it may be a concern to you if you are planning to fly in on Wednesday, you should be fine otherwise. As always, you can obtain up-to-date information from several online weather sources, including the National Hurricane Center

Don't worry MsThunder, throw in your rain gear (I am married to a weather man and I don't leave home without my rain gear), everything will be fine....Have a great time. Say hello to Mickey and the gang
By the way where are you in Mississippi?
:)

I know that Disney's power supply lines are underground but when my cousins were there during hurricane Charly, the power went out in theie hotel(All Star Movies). They were given flashlights.

The only explaination that I can think of is that Disney does not supply itself power to all locations.
I know that they aren't completly self-sufficient but they should have an emergency back up that reroutes all of there self-produced energy to areas that they don't normally supply.

Upvote 0

CelticRose

Celtic,, I am in Vicksburg.

Since I can't do it in my office, I am making an announcement:

To my fellow co-workers,,,,, YES, I know there is a tropical storm hitting Florida. NO, I am not planning on changing my travel plans. NO,, I do not know where the storm will exactly hit,, I lost Jim Cantore's cell phone number when I was packing.:lookaroun

*whew* now that I have that off of my chest,, carry on.......

Wait Ms Thunder I think Jim Cantore is down on the beach in Biloxi, I will go get his cell phone number for you:lol:

By the time you get there, the storm will be in North Carolina!!! Have a great time. I love Vicksburg, it is beautiful, was just there in May. I needed to get away after looking at all my neighbors blue tarped roofs!!!
I am in Ocean Springs, work in Biloxi.

When you return we want to hear all about your Disney Experiences.

NOTE: To everyone out there in Mouseland, if Jim Cantore ever shows up in your front yard RUN!!!!!:lol: He shows up here and we get hit by Katrina!!!!

255 Days and counting:D

Upvote 0

CelticRose

I was there for hurricane Jeanne, and here's exactly what happened:

We got there the morning before it was expected to hit, and with most current guests getting out early, and alot of cancellations or people not able to get in, that day at the parks was very dead. The only signs of a storm coming were that it was cloudy and windy, but they still closed EVERY park at 7pm. They also closed all the Disney-run restaurants as well. We were staying at the Boardwalk and they offered a buffet dinner in one of their ballrooms for something like $15/person. The hotel bar was open, so we at least had that.

A letter was slid under everyone's door that night that all the parks would be closed the next day, and that they wanted us to stay inside, blah, blah, blah. The next day they put free movies on all the in-room Disney channels, set up games, coloring, etc. in the lobby for kids, and characters showed up at the hotel from time to time. We spent much of the day in the hotel bar area drinking bloody marys and playing backgammon. They offered buffet lunch and dinner again that day, since restaurants were still closed.

The next day the parks all opened at around 10am, and the weather was fantastic after that, so it didn't really cramp our style too much, and we had a story to tell. Oh, and they did give us an additional day's park ticket to use either that trip, or any time in the future, to make up for the lost day.

Overall, the only thing under my control that I was glad I did was change our flight to an earlier flight the day we came in, to ensure we got in to Orlando before things started getting cancelled. We much preferred to be locked down in WDW, than to be struggling to get a new flight in after it was over.

That actually sounds like fun:)

Upvote 0

dwayneswife

One thing you might want to keep in mind is temperature change for a day or so. I remember when Hurricane Hugo hit here in North Carolina back in 1989 the first day or two afterwards were a little chilly. We were lucky enough to be in Orlando at WDW last year when Wilma came through. The day before she hit, the weather was incredibly humid and hot. In the afternoon after she passed by, we went to DTD and literally froze because it had turned so cold.

Upvote 0

j2ydisney

Urgent Help!!!!!

Hi, I'm going alone to WDW on December 26th till January 2nd. I've been on Disney before but only on Summer. I need help on how long the lines are, single rider option, where to eat, things to see and at what time arrive to the parks. Thnxs for the help

Disney Reigns Forever:fork:

Upvote 0

AEfx

Hi, I'm going alone to WDW on December 26th till January 2nd. I've been on Disney before but only on Summer. I need help on how long the lines are, single rider option, where to eat, things to see and at what time arrive to the parks. Thnxs for the help

Extremely, extremely busy. Busiest time of the entire year.

Single rider is only available on a handful of attractions (Everest, Test Track...someone else will have to point out the few others, it's not many).

Eat wherever you can find a spot.

Arrive at the parks as absolutely as early as possible, 'cause it's the busiest time of year.

AEfx

Upvote 0

The lines will be insane...ALWAYS use FastPass...which means getting there early in the morning, and racing to your favorites. Then grab lunch at a cafe...

(If you would like Priority Seating at some favorite restaurants, do that ASAP if you have not already done so.)

Go the early openings, ride your faves, then hop to another park...it will be less busy.

Eat lunch and dinner at random times. Then, during the noon-lunch rush, and the dinner rush, you can perhaps get on a few rides while everyone else is eating.

The busier you expect it to be, the more you won't be let down when you get there. Be very careful about hopping to other parks if you are not a resort guest...they can close parks at a certain capacity, and if you left Epcot because it was crazy, DON'T try MK. MK will be the busiest (most likely.)

Favorite places to eat: MK: Liberty Tree Tavern, Tony's (no buffet), and The Plaza for delicious sit down food.
Epcot: Alfredo's, LeCellier, The Japanese Steakhouse, the two French restaurants
MGM: Sci Fi Dine In Theater and Prime Time 50's. Brown Derby if you like fussier, fancier food.
AK: We love Rainforest...lots of people will tell you not to waste your time, as it's a chain, but we're from WI, and don't have those here. Pizzafari has great counter-service pizza.

DTDisney: Bongo's, Wolfgang Puck's,and Fulton's.

Resorts: Boma, O'Hanas, and Grand Flord. Cafe

HAVE FUN!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom