know your way around MK and DAK backstage??

anilorak

Original Poster
I just picked up some extra hours at both parks and need to know 1) where to park (cast lots?) and 2) how to get to costuming!

Thanks!

Captain Hank

Magic Kingdom isn't too bad. Parking is in the big lot between Disney University and Property Control. Costuming is located in the big tan and green building near the bus stop. Board the bus to get to the tunnels. The tunnels can be REALLY confusing, so I'd recommend heading there a day early or so, and scoping out how to get to your work location. Check the map, and head towards the deployment base that is indicated on your Extra Hours Hotline shift printout. Be sure to get to MK cast parking early enough to ride the bus and get to your location.

As for DAK, things are a little bit more difficult. Costuming is not actually located at the park itself. To get to costuming, head towards DAK. Before you get to the auto plaza, veer slightly left to go towards the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Take a left at the traffic light to go onto Sherberth Rd. DAK costuming is about halfway down Sherberth, on the left. It's in the same complex as the Entertainment rehearsal and parade facility. If you reach 192, you've gone too far.

To get to the DAK cast lot, turn around from costuming and go back up Sherberth towards DAK. Go straight through the intersection. You'll be going along the same road as the buses. Follow the bus road until just before the load/unload area. You'll see an open arm gate to your right. The lot behind the gate is Cast parking.

As confusing as the MK tunnels can be, DAK's backstage is much, much worse. There are few, if any, signs. There are also two cast entrances. To get to Dinoland, Asia or Discovery Island you'll need to go towards the Guest entrance. Just before the turnstyles, you'll see a path leading off to your right. Go down that path to the security gate. The other main cast entrance is near the entrance to the cast lot. This is the area where you can access Africa, Camp Minnie-Mickey and the Pride Rock cafeteria (which is the best on property). Once you get in, my best advice is to start asking people who are wearing the same costume as you. They'll be able to direct you towards the onstage entrances.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to visit the different areas you've picked up extra hours in a few days early to get some tips on where to clock in and how to navigate backstage.

Hope this helps. :wave:

WDWKat26

But, be careful about travelling around the tunnels when you aren't on the clock. They've really been cracking down lately on people in their street clothes who aren't on the clock.

Captain Hank

But, be careful about travelling around the tunnels when you aren't on the clock. They've really been cracking down lately on people in their street clothes who aren't on the clock.
Really? So far I haven't had too much of a problem, though I'm usually just down there out of costume when I'm scouting out a new EHH work location (I'm an Epcot CM, so the tunnels can be a bit rough sometimes). I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

WDWKat26

Yeah, this is very recent. At MK yesterday they were giving people a hard time when they were backstage in street clothes and off the clock. Mainly it's a safety thing, if you get injured and you're not on the clock, it's trouble.

joanna71985

It's true. Not very recent, but last year I had friends over in the Tunnel at MK (they worked at MGM) and they got chewed out by security.

coasterphil

I don't see how they can get upset if you are doing it because you've picked up hours at the park and want to know your way around before starting. That doesn't seem right.

WDWKat26

Um, it doesn't matter if you've picked up hours ahead of time. Disney is liable if you hurt yourself backstage, and you're not supposed to be backstage off the clock.

jiminy.cricket

I would try to arrive at the Utilidors one or two hours ahead of time just to be safe. I was so nervous on my first MK shift that I did just that, asked CMs questions, and took a map. They were very helpful. As long as you're in costume and headed to work, I don't think they'll give you any trouble.

Captain Hank

Um, it doesn't matter if you've picked up hours ahead of time. Disney is liable if you hurt yourself backstage, and you're not supposed to be backstage off the clock.
Yeah, I suppose they have a point. Perhaps the best bet would be to arrive very, very early to scope out your work location before your shift starts. I'd still recommend checking with CM's in that area onstage a day or so beforehand to find out where you clock-in and other things like that.

WDWKat26

I would try to arrive at the Utilidors one or two hours ahead of time just to be safe. I was so nervous on my first MK shift that I did just that, asked CMs questions, and took a map. They were very helpful. As long as you're in costume and headed to work, I don't think they'll give you any trouble.

That's the best idea.

LadynTheTramp

I worked at MK for a semester and it's pretty easy to get around. I worked on Main Street so we had the longest walk kind of.. on my first day I just hung out by the front and looked around for someone who was wearing the same costume- haha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom