Knees in pain

Doofenshmirtz

Original Poster
Yesterday I ran outside for the first time. I've been doing most of my running on a treadmill (since the gym offers childcare). Yesterday evening and today my knees are in so much pain. This is brand new. Its inner and lower. I'm assuming and leaning in when I run. I plan on going to get fitted for proper running shoes in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, would a simple arch support offer help in the meantime? Any other tricks for maintaining until then?

Ariel484

Get fitted for those running shoes ASAP. That should help a lot.

Switching from running on the treadmill to running outside can be difficult. The treadmill is softer, it "helps" you by pulling you along a wee bit, you don't encounter wind resistance, and unless you mess around with the incline, it stays flat. So that definitely would contribute to your soreness.

There are other things that could definitely be contributing. Per this article, weak hips, a weak butt, weak quadriceps and tight hamstrings are all possible culprits.

When I first started running I went to see an ortho about my knee pain and she did recommend orthodics to me, which helped because my feet were a little flat. With these I ran pain-free for the next 3-4 years. Then I started doing strength training (where the person who designed the program said the most important exercise was air squats) and found I didn't need the orthodics anymore. So stretching, foam rolling, and adding some squats to your routine might help.

But seriously...get fitted for shoes!!! :)

Figgy1

Premium Member
Get fitted for those running shoes ASAP. That should help a lot.

Switching from running on the treadmill to running outside can be difficult. The treadmill is softer, it "helps" you by pulling you along a wee bit, you don't encounter wind resistance, and unless you mess around with the incline, it stays flat. So that definitely would contribute to your soreness.

There are other things that could definitely be contributing. Per this article, weak hips, a weak butt, weak quadriceps and tight hamstrings are all possible culprits.

When I first started running I went to see an ortho about my knee pain and she did recommend orthodics to me, which helped because my feet were a little flat. With these I ran pain-free for the next 3-4 years. Then I started doing strength training (where the person who designed the program said the most important exercise was air squats) and found I didn't need the orthodics anymore. So stretching, foam rolling, and adding some squats to your routine might help.

But seriously...get fitted for shoes!!! :)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS get fitted ASAP!!!!!!!!!! Speaking as a person with bad knees. Been scoped and shot full of meds quite a few times!!!! ASAP is not soon enough!!!!! I can run on a treadmill but NEVER, EVER outside! If the proper shoes do not help get to an orthopedist ASAP!!!! Hopefully the shoes will help or an adjustment to your workout routine! Good luck!

Doofenshmirtz

Original Poster
The only thing holding me back is money. I have to wait until the 5th, but I fully plan to do it then. I suppose until then it'll be back to the treadmill.

Ariel, thank you for the tips! I just got my foam roller a few days ago. I do lift on my off days, but I'm sure it'll take a bit to rebuild my strength. I also plan on following these exercises for core work:
http://strengthrunning.com/2012/01/the-standard-core-routine-video-demonstration/

JillC LI

Generally, I only get knee pain when it's time to replace my running shoes. In fact, it's what reminds me to check the mileage on my shoes to see if it's time for new ones. I agree with everyone else about getting the right shoes. I don't know enough about orthotics to weigh in on that.

Doofenshmirtz

Original Poster
The shoes that I'm currently wearing are relatively new. I got them a few months ago. They're Nike Frees. On the spectrum of running shoes I have no idea where they sit. When I initially bought them, I had gotten them for general cross training. As my desire to run has taken over I've had to fall back on them as they're all I've got. I can't wait to get fitted for new shoes!

Ariel484

The shoes that I'm currently wearing are relatively new. I got them a few months ago. They're Nike Frees. On the spectrum of running shoes I have no idea where they sit. When I initially bought them, I had gotten them for general cross training. As my desire to run has taken over I've had to fall back on them as they're all I've got. I can't wait to get fitted for new shoes!

Nike Frees don't have much support...they are part of the "barefoot running" movement. Traditional running shoes have more support and cushioning for stability...these are for people that want the exact opposite. When people transition from a traditional shoe to a minimal shoe it's recommended that they do it very gradually, only running 0.25-0.5 miles at a time and working up from there. You're using different muscles without that cushioning, and it can cause soreness and injury in some cases. These shoes very well may be causing your knee pain. They just may not be the right shoes FOR YOU.

fmingo36

As others have said...GET FITTED for the right shoe! It makes a huge difference.
And just remember it doesn't have to be the most expensive shoe out there, it just has to be the right shoe for you.

bethram

I agree with getting fitted for running shoes at a running store so they can fit you properly, but I'm going to add in that you could visit a chiropractor as well. When I first started seeing one my pelvis was out of alignment and it caused knee pain. Now my chiropractor adjusts my knees and ankles at every visit and I rarely have knee pain anymore.

Texas84

Ask your friendly shoe store when you get fitted. Maybe a cushioning shoe would help. If the pain is minor you might be going through a physical adjustment. I had some minor aches and pains when I started and they all just eventually went away.

Doofenshmirtz

Original Poster
My knees are still not back to normal. Definitely better, but have a sensation of feeling slightly bruised. It's really bizarre. I'm also beginning to wonder if rapid changes in our weather are contributing to any of this. Makes me feel old! I actually got some biofreeze I'm going to try out for some interim relief. I've also been icing in the evening. I feel ridiculous. As if I'm some big shot runner that needs TLC when I'm just getting started! I was considering breaking out a knee brace for tonight's run. July 5th can't come fast enough!

Thank you to everyone for your feedback! Very appreciated!

JillC LI

My knees are still not back to normal. Definitely better, but have a sensation of feeling slightly bruised. It's really bizarre. I'm also beginning to wonder if rapid changes in our weather are contributing to any of this. Makes me feel old! I actually got some biofreeze I'm going to try out for some interim relief. I've also been icing in the evening. I feel ridiculous. As if I'm some big shot runner that needs TLC when I'm just getting started! I was considering breaking out a knee brace for tonight's run. July 5th can't come fast enough!

Thank you to everyone for your feedback! Very appreciated!

No reason to hesitate on the knee brace as an interim measure. I wore an ankle brace for two years after surgery on it. Finally weaned myself off it, but it allowed me to run pain-free in the interim. Several years ago I had some minor knee pain and tried a small brace. It helped for several weeks until the pain subsided. I say if it's not a serious injury (and that's an important IF), give yourself whatever support you can to keep moving. Then again, July 5th is just a few days away so maybe just rest up and get those new supportive running shoes!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom