Kingdom Hearts series releasing on Steam

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Square Enix confirmed last night that the Kingdom Hearts series (minus melody of memory for some reason) are releasing on steam June 13th. The trailer (linked below) was released this morning along with the relevant steam pages for each of the games.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5:
Kingdom Hearts 2.8:
Kingdom Hearts 3:

The steam pages tout updated textures in Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5, as well as Dream Drop Distance HD (included in 2.8) the system requirements are also higher for these releases then on Epic Games which indicates that these are brand new (probably upscaled) textures. Steam achievements, cloud, as well as input API all appears to be included. No word on the steam deck but rumor indicates that square specifically hired a team to ensure steam deck compatibility (a major selling point for me).

tanc

There's a ton of bugs that really need to be fixed with the games. Especially GPU related, I hear an update is coming soon though. I just doubt they're going to fix the bugs, which is such a shame because some of the ports could be definitively the best with it.

For all games, they removed the soft reset. Which was such an easy solution to return to the main menu. I know ReCom on PC is missing a config option and has had a bug with the length of holy burst since PS3. KH1 has a consistent crash from if you try to use return to title screen menu.

If you alt f4, you have to sit through a painfully long copyright screen and reselect your game from the game selection menu too. Overall the PC version is a good port, but there's just a ton of things that could be improved and still a lot of bugs I haven't mentioned that should be fixed.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
There's a ton of bugs that really need to be fixed with the games. Especially GPU related, I hear an update is coming soon though. I just doubt they're going to fix the bugs, which is such a shame because some of the ports could be definitively the best with it.

For all games, they removed the soft reset. Which was such an easy solution to return to the main menu. I know ReCom on PC is missing a config option and has had a bug with the length of holy burst since PS3. KH1 has a consistent crash from if you try to use return to title screen menu.

If you alt f4, you have to sit through a painfully long copyright screen and reselect your game from the game selection menu too. Overall the PC version is a good port, but there's just a ton of things that could be improved and still a lot of bugs I haven't mentioned that should be fixed.
It depends on how in depth they went. Some rumors suggest this port was being developed as early as last year. We know that a little more effort was put in just by the fact they even bothered to touch up the environmental textures.

As for soft reset and other bugs mentioned here there are certain mods out there that will fix most of these problems if Square didn’t already. There even is a copyright skip mod for KH3 I can’t remember off the top of my head if the other games also have the skip. A decently popular mod also adds in soft rest, as well as a host of other improvements (60 FPS cutscenes, native DualShock support, soft reset, dual audio, etc).

I‘m also curious to see if the games are steam deck verified. That would also be telling if they did much any work on optimization. The rumors indicated they hired a specific team to work on deck integration which may or may not be true. Kinda weird they haven’t mentioned anything on it yet. Sometimes certain games wait for another marketing push to announce its verified.

Surferboy567

Original Poster

31% off…you know what number that is reversed. Got the whole bundle for 69 bucks very happy with that. Limited time sale for the launch games seem to work very well with the deck. 0.2 and 3 require a little bit of tweaking but buy and large they work on the deck fairy well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom